Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC woes

Options
  • 18-02-2016 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Appreciate any help on this.

I'm after building 2 identical PCs for a friend and myself, one seems to be working fine but the other....

So I installed windows 8.1 ok then decided to upgrade to windows 10. Twice during setup computer went unresponsive. So i just restored windows 8.1. Went to play a game and computer crashed after a few seconds. Noticed a burning smell and graphics card was very hot....so dodgy graphics card i thought. Took it out and replaced it with the other from the (working) computer to test. However computer crashed as soon as i launched a game. Computer seemed to be trying to restart itself. Graphics card seemed a normal temperature when i touched it but I didnt leave PC on for long after it crashed.

Any advice on my next step? I suppose the only good thing is that I have two of each component I can test...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Try the PSU from the working computer, sounds like it could be the problem to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Swapped it over...same problem. I guess its the motherboard so? Can that cause a graphics card to get so hot?

Tried the graphics card that was previously very hot in the "working" pc. Fans on it stop spinning as soon as windows starts? Ugh

Edit: Google says this can be normal if PC isnt stressed, so hopefully card is OK. Will try with a game tomorrow. Fed up now, never building another PC again ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Also check that the CPU fan is correctly installed. If it's not, under load the computer will shut-down to prevent damage as it will skyrocket in temperature very quickly.

Download something like Coretemp and report your temperatures while idle on the desktop and while under load playing a game.

Also check ram, could be a bad stick.

You were right about the cpu fan, I didn't have it properly pushed in, very silly. Everything seems to be running OK now hopefully no permanent damage done. Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement