Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ads following me from different devices

Options
  • 18-02-2016 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, wasn't sure where to post.

Today in work on my work PC I did a search on Booking.com for accommodation in a provincial town in Ireland for work related trip. This evening when using my iPad at home I am getting Booking.com ads on Boards for hotels in that town.

I understand targeted ads which I thought were powered by cookies left on your computer when you visit a site, but how does this work over separate devices, different browsers, ISP and IP addresses?

Is it because I was logged in to my Boards account when doing the search? I know we should probably assume nothing is private, but this is the first time I've noticed this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mark_G

Where you logged in to a Google account on your work computer and then the same one at home? Most likely that's the case, the data about what ever you searched will stay with the account rather than the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Mark_G wrote: »
    Where you logged in to a Google account on your work computer and then the same one at home? Most likely that's the case, the data about what ever you searched will stay with the account rather than the device.

No, I don't have a google account, but I do have a Booking.com account which I would log in to on both devices. But I haven't opened that site at all today since I got home

Poochie05 wrote: »
    No, I don't have a google account, but I do have a Booking.com account which I would log in to on both devices. But I haven't opened that site at all today since I got home

Then do you use boards in work? If so the account itself would probably hold some data that would produce the ads on separate devices! If not then I'm not sure.

Edit: just read the end of your post, yeah that would most likely be it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Mark_G wrote: »
    Then do you use boards in work? If so the account itself would probably hold some data that would produce the ads on separate devices! If not then I'm not sure.

Edit: just read the end of your post, yeah that would most likely be it!

Thanks! I normally love the way Google knows what you're looking for but this was just a bit too personal! And rather spookily, those ads have stopped since I posted this thread... Do I need to go to the conspiracy forum? :P

Haha wouldn't want to get them too excited!

• Advertisement
Advertisement