Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic lights at the N3 off ramp

Options
  • 18-02-2016 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Right this has been annoying me for a while now.
    The lights at the first exit off the N3 for Blanch centre at Tractamotors are not all sequenced.
    The right lane to turn over the bridge onto Snugborough road has a delay of about 20 secounds(could be less/more) but there isn't any other traffic coming from any direction to justify this.

Does anyone know why ?
    It's pot luck basically as sometimes they do be all green together.
    It takes more time to go through that lane than any other due to the amount of trucks making the sharp turn especially if some numpty has blocked the yellow box.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Isn't the delay to allow for traffic coming from the centre side turning their left up towards the Waterville direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's only delayed if there's a pedestrian sequence triggered on the bridge? Otherwise they both go green together.

They need to get rid of the yellow box on the right hand turn from the Waterville side towards the centre. People think it's OK to pull into it as they are turning right and there's a right arrow in the box but the reality is that it makes it next to impossible for trucks coming up the ramp to turn right onto the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Isn't the delay to allow for traffic coming from the centre side turning their left up towards the Waterville direction?

No because i watched it closely tonight and the traffic was stopped in that lane.
    athtrasna wrote: »
    It's only delayed if there's a pedestrian sequence triggered on the bridge? Otherwise they both go green together.

They need to get rid of the yellow box on the right hand turn from the Waterville side towards the centre. People think it's OK to pull into it as they are turning right and there's a right arrow in the box but the reality is that it makes it next to impossible for trucks coming up the ramp to turn right onto the bridge.

I haven't noticed the pedestrian crossing but i'll check the dashcam tomorrow to see as its wrecking my head but would make sense as to why it can be random.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I never take that exit off the N3 because it's so bad, but on occasion when I came from the centre side I thought we may have had the left turn light while traffic coming from the exit side had the lights to take their left at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I never take that exit off the N3 because it's so bad, but on occasion when I came from the centre side I thought we may have had the left turn light while traffic coming from the exit side had the lights to take their left at the same time.

I usually have a peek to see what its like then take the next one if its bad.
    That left turn from the centre goes green when traffic coming from waterville direction has a green

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    No because i watched it closely tonight and the traffic was stopped in that lane.

I haven't noticed the pedestrian crossing but i'll check the dashcam tomorrow to see as its wrecking my head but would make sense as to why it can be random.

I live in Waterville, trust me it's pedestrian lights, I go through that junction in that lane almost every day. Annoying thing is pedestrians have more than likely jaywalked rather than wait, after triggering the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

athtrasna wrote: »
    I live in Waterville, trust me it's pedestrian lights, I go through that junction in that lane almost every day. Annoying thing is pedestrians have more than likely jaywalked rather than wait, after triggering the lights.

Yup me too.
    Every single damn day I go through these lights in the morning.

They are the worst set of lights I can think of. My other pet hate with them is the speed they will change if you happen to be coming from the Coolmine/Wetherspoons end on the Snugborough road. All you need is some numpty not making any progress and the lights will change to red. I've gotten so sick of this that I drive around past the gym and back to this junction so I can take the left filter light.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

It's a disaster of a junction, absolutely stupid design.

Advertisement