Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undertale

Options
  • 19-02-2016 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

I did a cursory search and couldn't find anything, but I apologise if there is already a dedicated thread elsewhere.

If there isn't, I feel it deserves one. Amazing game, all things considered. Toby Fox has succeeded in creating this little world of beauty, astonishment and warming familiarity. I've played through a few times, and each run is just a pleasure.

Sans and Papyrus are just perfectly crafted characters for this genre, I find myself constantly referencing these siblings in real life. That's not even mentioning the wealth of other characters, nor their surprising depths.

I could go on for an age, specifically about the story and its unique interactive nature, but I'd love to hear other people's views and experiences. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I've only played through it once, but what a game! I was thinking it was going to be a disappointment considering just how much it was hyped, and the fandom is so zealous, but it more than lived up to expectations. The music is especially amazing, I adore it.

How exactly does the passive run work? Do you just dodge attacks until they give up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can go to the actions menu that gives you options on how you converse or approach the enemy in a non violent manner. It turns each fight into a puzzle but also makes it tougher since you don't gain any experience. However it's pretty much the best way to play the game. Basic combat is boring while trying to figure out how to defeat enemies without killing them is a lot more fun with many funny solutions, dialogue and more creative battles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Aye,
    not killing Papyrus is worth it purely for the date you get to have with him.

I usually elected to not kill each of the main boss character when they give you an explicit choice. I'll have to play it again on a pacifist run. Great game though. I couldn't believe the emotions it was stirring from the very start. The humour is spot on throughout.
    sheep? wrote: »
    Aye,
    not killing Papyrus is worth it purely for the date you get to have with him.
    I actually went on a date with Sans

It didn't seem like a multi-path game on my first play through at all.

• Advertisement

It seriously has one of the best soundtracks of 2015, and that's saying something.

I quite liked this one, it couldn't decide which era it was from:

Having recently just finished the pacifist run, I'm completely in love with this game and it's characters.

A friend has done the genocide run as well, and he explained to me what it entails. It's safe to say that I'll never attempt it. The characters just mean too much to me at this stage, a testament to Toby Fox's writing skills. I've never felt this way about characters in a game before. I didn't give a shoite when Aeris died. Nor any other characters I can think of off the top of my head.

But the thought of killing Papyrus just seems unthinkable to me, and he's a retro 2D sprite.

Also that dog tune is looping in my head like crazy.

Had this on all day in work

Been obsessively listening to Metal covers of the soundtrack :D

So goooooood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

What a game.

Toby did well to cover nearly every possible angle the player could try.

Even down to putting up to 29 hotdogs on your head! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I beat the game finally over the weekend and got the true pacifist ending. Was a little disappointed with the ending, it's wrapped up a bit too nicely. I was expecting something more along the lines of the messed up bittersweet ending of Mother 3. I guess I'm only disappointed since the game and writing up to that point was just so good which is no bad thing.

Anyway, probably my favourite game of last year by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

So I should go straight for the Pacifist run on my first playthrough? Does that mean kill nothing like mobs and random spawns or just dont kill any boss characters?

True pacifist is not killing anything. It's probably how it should be played.

Thargor wrote: »
    So I should go straight for the Pacifist run on my first playthrough? Does that mean kill nothing like mobs and random spawns or just dont kill any boss characters?
    I'd go that route. Then Genocide.

Your happy ever after story will look and play very differently....

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I'd go that route. Then Genocide.

Your happy ever after story will look and play very differently....

Did you do this? How could you!? :P

But does it mean kill nothing? Kill no mobs or spawns? Can someone elaborate on why you're supposed to do it that way please? I know its technically possible to finish New Vegas and other games with speech checks as a pacifist aswell, is that all it is?

Kill absolutely nothing, no exceptions.

On the 'why', well, that's up to you.

sheep? wrote: »
    Kill absolutely nothing, no exceptions.

On the 'why', well, that's up to you.
    Ah FFS Im asking if its he way the game is meant to be played, people finish New Vegas and other games because they're obsessives who want Youtube views and like seeing how far games can be pushed, its not how its supposed to be done, is that whats meant by pacifist here or is the game designed to be played that way?

Thargor wrote: »
    Ah FFS Im asking if its he way the game is meant to be played, people finish New Vegas and other games because they're obsessives who want Youtube views and like seeing how far games can be pushed, its not how its supposed to be done, is that whats meant by pacifist here or is the game designed to be played that way?

I don't think there is any one path in which you are supposed to play Undertale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Undertale has a battle system which actively encourages you to take the pacifist route, holding systems, secrets and rewards that make it worthwhile. Not to mention non-violence feeds into the general themes and tones of the game quite significantly (although it does morph depending on your style). This isn't trying to break the game or anything, or a mere difficulty challenge - it's very much built into the design and story.

Again, the systems that drive the game are much more enjoyable when you're not killing everything, or indeed anything. It makes it as much a puzzle game and text adventure trying to work out how to overcome a fight without hitting 'fight'. Plus, many of the pacifist outcomes are hilariously weird and wonderful.

Play how you want to play....

See how your game turns out....

:D

(The game isn't that long so you'll easily get multiple runs out of it).

This needs to be ported to mobile. It would be perfect for the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Taylor365 wrote: »
    (The game isn't that long so you'll easily get multiple runs out of it).

How long is it?

I was hoping for an anecdotal answer cause my fiancee has a "bored of this now" threshold for things that aren't Zelda :o

3 or 4 sittings :pac:

Perfect length for a game imo

Agreed, I am really into the whole "is it less than 20 hours?" scene now. Too many good games to play :)

Cormac... wrote: »
    Agreed, I am really into the whole "is it less than 20 hours?" scene now. Too many good games to play :)

20 hours?

Bring back the PS1/2 era of 6-8 hour long games please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

What can I say, even the Pope Francis has a copy of Undertale :-))))) lol

Advertisement