Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butter and cheese substitutes

Options
  • 19-02-2016 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering what vegan brand would you recommend, mainly for melting cheese and just butter for toast etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Violife is pretty much the gold standard for cheese substitutes that perform as intended. Big Dunnes have it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Thank you, going to pick it up tomorrow, have been vegertarian for over 20 years but I have decided to become vegan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nice one, good luck with it. Violife have a good few flavours that are nice now, smokey, mushroom! normal cheddar etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

Nice one, good luck with it. Violife have a good few flavours that are nice now, smokey, mushroom! normal cheddar etc

Can you get this in Tesco or Super Valu do you know? I've tried Tesco but couldn't find it. I presume it's in the cheese and dairy aisle?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Haven't seen it in tesco, and don't go into SuperValu so not sure. Just know that health food shops have it too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 tigergirl

For cheese my favourite is violife for pizza, I use it on everything not just for pizza and its great! As for butter I use Pure sunflower spread. You can get the spread in Tesco and the cheese in Dunnes or I've sometimes seen it in large SuperValus

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Girl 01 Analog

For butter Dunnes is great because they have the "Sunlite" spread (which is 99 cents) and the "Pure" brand ones as mentioned above, they come in a few different varieties (olive, soya or sunflower) but are a little more expensive (€1.60 - €1.70 usually). They also have the full range of violife cheese products (spread, slices in different flavors, block). All vegan of course!

Advertisement