Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in the US.

Options
  • 19-02-2016 6:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi, was wondering if there are any Irish teaching over in the US? I want to be an English High School teacher or even elementary (haven't made my mind up yet) and was wondering if you found it hard getting a job because you're foreign or because there aren't many openings? I'm going to pursue my bachelors in Ireland and a masters in the US. Would this increase my chances? Also, what requirements or checks did you have to go through to get a job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

It's a huge country, and the job market is going to vary wildly depending on local economies and population.

If you figure out where you want to go, you can do some research by state - https://www.teach.org/teaching-certification

That site also has info on general teaching requirements, and it sounds like getting a masters in the US would help.

When you're trying to figure out a location, do some serious research. My friend's daughter teaches in Philadelphia, and has been physically and verbally attacked by students. When the schools have cops and metal detectors at the front door, you might want to think twice.

There are also many charter and private schools to look at. Again, depending on how much money they raise, they can be better or worse to teach in than the local public schools. In this area, salaries tend to be higher in the public schools.

It can also be helpful to look at demographics for the area you're thinking of. Sites like http://zipwho.com/ can tell you a lot about the area - punch in a ZIP code to see median income, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, are you a U.S. citizen, or Green Card holder? Are you legally entitled to live & work in the USA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

ProudDub asks a very important question; you won't get a work visa to teach English, so unless you already have a way to work over there, you may need to revise your plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭wehuntmonsters

Thats why I was asking. I thought it might help me if I did a masters over there, get my foot in the door. It can't be impossible if Irish and English people teach over there. Might be a bit harder to get into the public school than the private sector.

But no, I don't have any connections. I only have cousins living in Canada but that is no use.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

To be able to secure a visa, you need to prove that you are more qualified/experienced, etc than any other American citizen applying for the same job. Doing the green card lottery would be your path, I believe.
    Also, doing a MA in the USA is extremely expensive. I'm American, but moved to Ireland to do a Master's in English, because it's so much cheaper over here.
    Sorry for not being more encouraging!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Thats why I was asking. I thought it might help me if I did a masters over there, get my foot in the door. It can't be impossible if Irish and English people teach over there. Might be a bit harder to get into the public school than the private sector.

But no, I don't have any connections. I only have cousins living in Canada but that is no use.

You need a visa to work in the US.
    Here are a few ways to get one.

H1B - this is a work permit. Your potential employer has to apply for it for you. There is a lottery because there are more applications than visas.
    The company has to prove that they cannot get a US citizen to do the job thus they have to get someone from abroad.
    I doubt anyone in the education sector would be eligible for this type of visa.

Green Card (DV)- This is permanent residency. Its done by lottery every year and you can apply for free around October time I think. But they literary give out only a hand full of these to Irish people evey year so the chances are slim. But its certainly worth applying.

Marry a US citizen -That will make you eligible for a Green Card.

There are also one year graduate visas available but I'm notvsure how they operated.

Doing your masters in the US will not make you eligible to stay on and work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Good post Tod, I have just a couple of things to add.

Doing a Master over there - as far as immigration is concerned, there is no such thing as "getting your foot in the door." Either you have a work visa, or you don't. You can not work, if you are on a student visa. Once you graduate, you can not work, unless you have a work visa. US immigration don't care where you went to college.

HIB visa - it can cost upwards of $10,000 for a company to sponsor an employee for a work visa. There aren't many school districts or schools, that would be able or willing to spend that kind of money on hiring a teacher from overseas, unless that teacher has a unique skill or qualification that is in short supply in the US.

For example, my nieces school district (Seattle, Washington) have two Chinese lads on the payroll that teach Mandarin Chinese in the areas schools. They are on HIB visas. Unless you bring something like that to the table, its going to be very hard to find a school willing to sponsor you. To be frank, a bog standard English teacher, or newly qualified elementary teacher won't.

The J1 Graduate visa - For 12 months after you graduate here, you are eligible to apply for a one year work visa. It allows you to work for a year in the US, in the field of your qualification.You could go over, work for a year and use that year to try to find a school to sponsor you for a HIB visa. If you do, that's great, if you don't, you'll have to come home at the end of your year.

You need to do your home work on what qualifications you need to get that job for a year. Every single state, city, county, school district and school can set their own hiring criteria. There is no single entity (such as the Dept of Education here) that decides it all for the entire country. They all different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Have you considered a speciality in teaching?
    For example, special needs teaching, or rather than teaching English, speech therapy (yes I know it is not the same)? I know there is always call for speech therapists in the USA and visas were available as of a couple of years ago at least, when my friend came over that way.

Advertisement