Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BCMS Opt in or Opt out

• 19-02-2016 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I'm starting a self build and a little green for now. Does anyone know if it is worth the extra money to opt in? Realistically we won't be selling the property in the future.

Any advice greatly appreciated on the matter.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What's the price difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jamesdeanjames

kceire wrote: »
    What's the price difference?

€2500 I believe.

I need every penny I can get for this house. If it's a case of every house that was built before 2015 doesn't have this BCMS certification then I think I'll be ok without it. But as I said, I'm new to this and open to hearing people's thoughts on this.

New dwellings in Dublin is split about 70/30 (opt in/opt out).
    Just depends what type of certification you want I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

kceire - is that 70/30 split for new-build single dwellings only or does it include multi unit properties as well?

Thanks

kceire - is that 70/30 split for new-build single dwellings only or does it include multi unit properties as well?

Thanks

Single dwellings only. More or less all multi unit developments have Assigned Certifiers attached to them. Obviously every apartment block has an AC due to the Fire Cert requirements but I honestly cannot think of one multi unit housing estate that has opted out yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

That's the reason I asked - because I knew that housing estates would distort the figure if included.

But

My understanding is that only single dwellings can opt out. Is there some circumstances where an estate can?!

That's the reason I asked - because I knew that housing estates would distort the figure if included.

But

My understanding is that only single dwellings can opt out. Is there some circumstances where an estate can?!

Now that you mention it, no I don't think so.
    This is why I should stick to the TGD's and not the administration of the SI !!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

€2500 I believe.

I need every penny I can get for this house. If it's a case of every house that was built before 2015 doesn't have this BCMS certification then I think I'll be ok without it. But as I said, I'm new to this and open to hearing people's thoughts on this.

Many here will have some bias, so ask yourself & your solicitor 'what if my circumstances change' and I want to sell/borrow against/ need to leave a will / etc

Many 20something year old 'dont give a F' clients, turn into 30something 'planning for the future' clients...

BryanF wrote: »
    Many here will have some bias, so ask yourself & your solicitor 'what if my circumstances change' and I want to sell/borrow against/ need to leave a will / etc

Many 20something year old 'dont give a F' clients, turn into 30something 'planning for the future' clients...

Thanks.
    Bryan can you elaborate a little further on how opting out might lead to some issues down the line if I did have to sell.

Thanks.
    Bryan can you elaborate a little further on how opting out might lead to some issues down the line if I did have to sell.

From a buyers point of view, 2 houses for sale. Recently renovated. One had an Assigned Certifier while the other didn't. Some might say the one that did will be worth more or sell quicker etc

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    From a buyers point of view, 2 houses for sale. Recently renovated. One had an Assigned Certifier while the other didn't. Some might say the one that did will be worth more or sell quicker etc

Thanks all! Much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

I'm starting a self build and a little green for now. Does anyone know if it is worth the extra money to opt in? Realistically we won't be selling the property in the future.

Any advice greatly appreciated on the matter.

Thanks!

If you opt in your AC may offer additional service all in the one fee such as your land registration mapping when the house is built, the final certificate of compliance for your planning permission, payment certification for drawing down the loan. If your AC is an engineer he/she can also provide the structural design and specifications for foundations, any steelwork etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

If you opt in your AC may offer additional service all in the one fee such as your land registration mapping when the house is built, the final certificate of compliance for your planning permission, payment certification for drawing down the loan. If your AC is an engineer he/she can also provide the structural design and specifications for foundations, any steelwork etc.
    additional service my arse. What your describing is the min service anyone who opts out required.

BryanF wrote: »
    additional service my arse. What your describing is the min service anyone who opts out required.

The AC is only there to ensure that the build complies to current building regulations. The AC is not required to provide additional services. The things like a First registration map, Final Cert of Compliance for planning, Payment certification for the banks and engineering/design services are services outside the remit of the AC role. My point is that if you opt in a self builder should be able to get these services included in the price for the AC services as there is no real additional time involved over all.

If you opt out you are still going to require services such as the the Land reg mapping for first registration of the property when it is built, final cert of compliance with the planning and building regulations-something you will possibly need for the bank to get the final draw-down of the loan and certainly if you are selling up in the future any buyers solicitor will seek the cert. Its likely the bank will want certification of the payments to draw down the loan at each stage, engineering/design services for foundations and any structural elements and some level of site supervision to ensure the works are being done to a good standard. So really sorry if you think these are outside the remit of what you deem appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

with any luck a new minsters will sort this out once and for all in the near future. Given the sole basis for this decision was a vote getter, after today that is now a 5 year down the line issue again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

First off, if a bank are financing your self-build I would check with them if you can opt-out - have heard some banks will not finance unless you opt in.

Second, check with insurance companies if it will make a difference.

Thirdly, there may be issues in the future with conveyancing - while you may not intend to sell the house, nobody lives forever so it is likely to change hands at some point in the future.

The opt-out is only available for one-off houses and refurbishments, not for multi-unit developments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭bemak

i think opting in would increase the chances of a better quality build too.

bemak wrote: »
    i think opting in would increase the chances of a better quality build too.

It will at least deter or protect you from cowboy builders who typically do not want any sort of supervision on site.

Advertisement