Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Maynooth - Rounding up from €1.75 to €1.77

Options
  • 19-02-2016 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Very minor grievance - more a comment on how machines apply a different logic than us.

A couple of days ago I purchased bread that was €1.75. Since I had a pocket full of loose change I used the self service checkout and loaded it with the smallest coins first in order to reach the required amount.

However, since the machine counts a bit slower than I was feeding, I actually inserted €1.82 to the machine before it told me to stop.

It then gave me back a €0.05 cent piece back. The receipt was clear - Tesco had rounded my bill up to €1.77 by not giving me back the 1 cent pieces I had added in error.

As I said, no biggie. More an observation of machine behaviour.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

No - error was on your part for putting to many coins in and the machine rounded to change to nearest 5c. Which in this case was 5c, so correct.

The idea to to get 1c & 2c out of circulation and the machine is correct based on what you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lastblackdog

VincePP wrote: »
    No - error was on your part for putting to many coins in and the machine rounded to change to nearest 5c. Which in this case was 5c, so correct.

The idea to to get 1c & 2c out of circulation and the machine is correct based on what you did.

I do understand this point. However, the plan for rounding was to the nearest five cent. In this case Tesco rounded to the nearest 7 cent. I did mention that the coin collector was slow and I added coins as indicated to hit the price of the bread - €1.75. However, as it was slow to count I over paid.

Rounding up in this case was wrong. In effect, Tesco "stole" 2 cent from me without justification.

Note: I use the word "stole" here to make a point. If asked they would have been happy to refund the amount taken in error. The point I am making is more about the way machines interpret the rules.

Some day we might have machines deciding on our guilt or innocence, self serve justice, if you will, and we might find ourselves rounded up in error if we don't keep an eye on the rules imposed on them now.

Just to emphasise - this is a light hearted jibe at Tesco self serve computer logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I do understand this point. However, the plan for rounding was to the nearest five cent. In this case Tesco rounded to the nearest 7 cent. I did mention that the coin collector was slow and I added coins as indicated to hit the price of the bread - €1.75. However, as it was slow to count I over paid.

Rounding up in this case was wrong. In effect, Tesco "stole" 2 cent from me without justification.

Note: I use the word "stole" here to make a point. If asked they would have been happy to refund the amount taken in error. The point I am making is more about the way machines interpret the rules.

Some day we might have machines deciding on our guilt or innocence, self serve justice, if you will, and we might find ourselves rounded up in error if we don't keep an eye on the rules imposed on them now.

Just to emphasise - this is a light hearted jibe at Tesco self serve computer logic.

The computers don't decide themselves, they've been programmed that the smallest amount they can give in change is 5c. The error is yours for not counting your money properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I posted this a few weeks ago
    I observed in a Tesco self service,
    Item cost 69c
    Inserted coins total 87c (in order: 2c, 5c, 20c, 20c, 20c, 20c)
    Received change 20c

Not sure how that worked. I assume the machine is rounding the change amount, rather than bill amount

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Very minor grievance - more a comment on how machines apply a different logic than us.

A couple of days ago I purchased bread that was €1.75. Since I had a pocket full of loose change I used the self service checkout and loaded it with the smallest coins first in order to reach the required amount.

However, since the machine counts a bit slower than I was feeding, I actually inserted €1.82 to the machine before it told me to stop.

It then gave me back a €0.05 cent piece back. The receipt was clear - Tesco had rounded my bill up to €1.77 by not giving me back the 1 cent pieces I had added in error.

As I said, no biggie. More an observation of machine behaviour.

Maybe the machines are intelligent, when they gave you the "invitation to treat" at €1.75 and you over paid they assumed that you wanted to pay more and since they can only give change in 5c they increased the price.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    I posted this a few weeks ago
    I observed in a Tesco self service,
    Item cost 69c
    Inserted coins total 87c (in order: 2c, 5c, 20c, 20c, 20c, 20c)
    Received change 20c

Not sure how that worked. I assume the machine is rounding the change amount, rather than bill amount

Very good observation. You are probably correct.

Like you I fed the machine with the smallest coins first so my last one was also a 20 cent piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The error is in the store, they are rounding the change which is incorrect, they are supposed to be rounding the total of the items bought.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The error is in the store, they are rounding the change which is incorrect, they are supposed to be rounding the total of the items bought.

I believe that you are correct. What they did was confiscate my coins where as the deal is all about rounding the total price to the nearest 5 cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

foggy_lad wrote: »

The machines aren't giving out change lower than 5c. It's really not hard to understand and it's the customers choice to put in too much.

The only thing the store could do is put up a sign explaining that rounding means no change lower than 5c will be given.

I believe that you are correct. What they did was confiscate my coins where as the deal is all about rounding the total price to the nearest 5 cent.

If you have the inability to understand the process of eliminating 1c and 2c coins and 2c is so important to you, then either
    A - use a card
    Or
    B - don't use the self service till.

• Advertisement

If you have the inability to understand the process of eliminating 1c and 2c coins and 2c is so important to you, then either
    A - use a card
    Or

Actually, I do understand the concept and the process of eliminating 1c and 2c coins as it was explained a few months ago. That was, when a total price ended up on an amount that was not divisible by 5 then it would be rounded either up or down depending on which it was closest to.

If a store like Tesco are free to confiscate extra 1c and 2c coins why are I not free to have loaded €1.73 into the Self Serve machine and hit a button that is marked "close enough". After all, what's good for Tesco should be good for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Actually, I do understand the concept and the process of eliminating 1c and 2c coins as it was explained a few months ago. That was, when a total price ended up on an amount that was not divisible by 5 then it would be rounded either up or down depending on which it was closest to.

If a store like Tesco are free to confiscate extra 1c and 2c coins why are I not free to have loaded €1.73 into the Self Serve machine and hit a button that is marked "close enough". After all, what's good for Tesco should be good for me.

They asked €1.75 and they where offered more, if you want to offer €1.73 you have to go to a person at a till and most likely will get it for €1.73

From your post it seems you don't have an iota of a clue.

Its the change that is rounded, however as most (99.999% imo) people won't pay an odd couple of cent over an even amount, the advertising for the system is using what most people would use.

It is dreadfully simple to understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

If the op had put in one more cent the machine would have gave them back 10c.

From your post it seems you don't have an iota of a clue.

Its the change that is rounded, however as most (99.999% imo) people won't pay an odd couple of cent over an even amount, the advertising for the system is using what most people would use.

It is dreadfully simple to understand

Imagine the situation where I went up to a staffed check out point and, when told the amount (€1.75) I laid out all the change I had in my pocket as I am not very familiar with Euro coins having just moved here from another country.

The cashier then proceeds to count out the exact right amount from the coins offered but, as an after thought, notices that I have a couple of 1c coins so she reaches out and takes them as well. I then collect the remainder of my coins having paid €1.77 for an item priced at €1.75.

A couple of cent here and there can add up to a very high sum when you count the vast number of transactions carried out at a major supermarket like Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

OP as the machine cannot dispense 1 or 2 cents anymore this is the correct change as seven cents rounds to five. The seven is whalll you overpaid and was due as change. The order you insert the coins has a part to play.
    Also if you go to a cashier you can still get the actual correct change.
    Really should not be a big gain for the shops. However if they start pushing prices to the nearest five or ten cent point, then no doubt the consumer will loose out as they will round up rather than down I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

The computers don't decide themselves, they've been programmed that the smallest amount they can give in change is 5c. The error is yours for not counting your money properly.

Nah, that's the programmer's error for basing the change on the amount given rather than on the total in relation to the amount given.

Understandable as it will bleed tesco a few cent here and there but it's the kind of very small loss that's worth writing-off for the savings from using the machines.

Incidentally it'll become a moot point as the number of 1/2c coins in circulation drops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

A - use a card
    Or

It is you who hasn't got the logicical capability to understand the process.
    Rounding up and down is not compulsory and one can opt out. It is the price that is rounded, not the change. The till should be capable to return 1 and 2 cent coins. Since the price was at the 5 cent mark, that should have been the price.
    Program the machines to round up and down the purchase price and stock them with a moderate amount of 1 and 2 cent coins.
    Not OP's fault, sloppy programming by Tesco! Its very alarming that this thread reads like After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Taken from rounding.ie
    Change will be rounded up or down to the nearest five cent...

Rounding is only applied on change given on the final till amount, not on individual prices

A major supermarket like Tesco will have about 2.5 million transactions per week. Now imagine that just 1% of these are skimmed for 2c each.

That is 25,000 x 0.02 = €500.00 per week or €26,000 per year.

Small change to Tesco but a nice donation to a charity.

With all due respects to Tesco, my comments are about sloppy logic in programming and is not meant to suggest that they are deliberately skimming money from their customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

A major supermarket like Tesco will have about 2.5 million transactions per week. Now imagine that just 1% of these are skimmed for 2c each.

With all due respects to Tesco, my comments are about sloppy logic in programming and is not meant to suggest that they are deliberately skimming money from their customers.
    Similarly they could lose €26,000 per year if they rounded down 2c per transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Why can't people understand that roughly half of the 2.5m transactions will see them lose 1 or 2 cents too? The gain or loss for the stores balance out.

Jayop wrote: »
    Why can't people understand that roughly half of the 2.5m transactions will see them lose 1 or 2 cents too? The gain or loss for the stores balance out.

Actually I do understand the concept of mutual rounding up or down depending on the actual value. This tread is not a comment on the normal distribution curve of cash tendered to a person. Rather it is a comment on how machine logic functions when too much money is tendered.

There is a separate question about the distribution of purchases using cash where the total value of the transaction gets rounded up or rounded down. People tend to use cash for small purchases such as when buying one or two items only and cards when buying more.

If many items are prices at €x.99 then one or two items only are purchased the amount will always round up. It is likely that major retailers like Tesco will have analysed this before they agreed to take part. When money/profit is involved, it is a safe bet to assume that the house always wins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

dudara wrote: »
    Taken from rounding.ie

Ah, then I was indeed wrong. Disregard and carry on...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Actually I do understand the concept of mutual rounding up or down depending on the actual value. This tread is not a comment on the normal distribution curve of cash tendered to a person. Rather it is a comment on how machine logic functions when too much money is tendered.

The machine acted correctly. it is the change that it rounded not the amount.
    There is a separate question about the distribution of purchases using cash where the total value of the transaction gets rounded up or rounded down. People tend to use cash for small purchases such as when buying one or two items only and cards when buying more.

If many items are prices at €x.99 then one or two items only are purchased the amount will always round up. It is likely that major retailers like Tesco will have analysed this before they agreed to take part. When money/profit is involved, it is a safe bet to assume that the house always wins.

well except if somebody buys 3 items at 99c then get an extra 2c back. if they buy 4 items at 99c they get an extra 1c back. so the amount will not always round up.

well except if somebody buys 3 items at 99c then get an extra 2c back. if they buy 4 items at 99c they get an extra 1c back. so the amount will not always round up.

You seem to have missed my point. Probably too subtle for you. I was suggesting that the distribution curve would be skewed towards one and two items purchases when using cash and for three or more the is a more likelihood of cards being used.

Without the actual data we can't know. That said, if Tesco want me to analyse the data for them I would be happy to do so. Analysing vast amounts of data is something I am qualified to do.

You seem to have missed my point. Probably too subtle for you. I was suggesting that the distribution curve would be skewed towards one and two items purchases when using cash and for three or more the is a more likelihood of cards being used.

Without the actual data we can't know. That said, if Tesco want me to analyse the data for them I would be happy to do so. Analysing vast amounts of data is something I am qualified to do.

the distribution curve on the number of items is irrelevant. the distribution on the mod 5 value of purchases is. and i cannot see how this could be possibly be skewed towards the 1 and 2c end. Most items do not cost 99c. most sales are not 1 or two items.

the distribution curve on the number of items is irrelevant. the distribution on the mod 5 value of purchases is. and i cannot see how this could be possibly be skewed towards the 1 and 2c end. Most items do not cost 99c. most sales are not 1 or two items.

Great, show me the data to support your premise. I only suggested a hypothesis, you are claiming fact.

Great, show me the data to support your premise. I only suggested a hypothesis, you are claiming fact.

Simple observation will tell you i am right. Do you really "vast amounts of data" to tell you that most items do not cost 99c? If that side of your hypotheses is wrong then the number of items purchased is moot.

• Advertisement

Simple observation will tell you i am right. Do you really "vast amounts of data" to tell you that most items do not cost 99c? If that side of your hypotheses is wrong then the number of items purchased is moot.

I believe I said that many items were priced at €x.99 and not most.

Advertisement