Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Maynooth - Rounding up from €1.75 to €1.77

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Christ this is painful stuff. Unfollow thread immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I believe I said that many items were priced at €x.99 and not most.

many items are priced at 99c you are correct but many many many many more are not so the 99c items have very little bearing on the overall result.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lastblackdog

Thank you all for your contributions. What is interesting is just how many ways we are able to view one simple transaction.

I can honestly say that I got my 2c worth.

PS: Just returned from Tesco having purchased two items with a total price of €2.79. Just so we can finally put this discussion to bed I paid with a debit card. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I have a friend with a huge jar of 1/2 cent coins, he always uses the self-service till and purposely puts 3 cents more than the cost of his shopping into the machine ensuring he gets 5 cents back in change, ie. he makes 2 cents on every transaction.

His plan is to eventually empty his 1/2 cent coin jar and fill up a seperate jar with 5 cent coins to cash in ........ a bit pedantic but it keeps him happy/busy! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I have a friend with a huge jar of 1/2 cent coins, he always uses the self-service till and purposely puts 3 cents more than the cost of his shopping into the machine ensuring he gets 5 cents back in change, ie. he makes 2 cents on every transaction.

His plan is to eventually empty his 1/2 cent coin jar and fill up a seperate jar with 5 cent coins to cash in ........ a bit pedantic but it keeps him happy/busy! :)

He can't put an extra 3 cents in at every purchase and get 5 cent change. It would depend on the value of each sale total whether that would work or not. Or are my maths finally failing me?

• Advertisement

He can't put an extra 3 cents in at every purchase and get 5 cent change. It would depend on the value of each sale total whether that would work or not. Or are my maths finally failing me?

they're not.

He has some kind of system worked out because every time I go to his house I notice his 1/2 cent coin jar is getting emptier while his 5 cent coin jar is getting fuller! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

If something comes to 51c and the friend purposely puts in 53c rather than the correct amount he'll get 5c back. So rather than losing a cent he's gaining 2. That's a massive 3c swing.

Jayop wrote: »
    If something comes to 51c and the friend purposely puts in 53c rather than the correct amount he'll get 5c back. So rather than losing a cent he's gaining 2. That's a massive 3c swing.

Yeah, I guess that's what he's doing alright ......... so I assume he's only doing it on the transactions that suit his system ........ in any case, he's playing the long-game and winning! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

the rounding is done on the change is it not?

the rounding is done on the change is it not?

Yeah you're right, rounding up/down is not done on the cost of the transaction ......... it's only done on the change to be returned to the customer.

As Jay said, putting 53c into the machine for something costing 51c would result in 5c change ........ or the customer getting the product 3c cheaper than advertised ....... happy days!

Yeah you're right, rounding up/down is not done on the cost of the transaction ......... it's only done on the change to be returned to the customer.

As Jay said, putting 53c into the machine for something costing 51c would result in 5c change ........ or the customer getting the product 3c cheaper than advertised ....... happy days!

your maths is not correct. if the price is 51c and he puts in 53c he will get back nothing. he needs to put in 54c to get back 5c in change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I have noticed that tesco has got much worse lately for giving out more small coins lately. What ever about 1c and 2c coins, the self service machines in the stores I frequent seem to have got rid of 10c and 20c coins and in some case 50c coins nothing worse getting 80-90 spat out at you in 5c, but guessing what no more 1c or 2c. My penny jar has never been fuller since they got rid of the 1c and 2c coins.

your maths is not correct. if the price is 51c and he puts in 53c he will get back nothing. he needs to put in 54c to get back 5c in change.

Well that's not true, I just did it in SuperValu about 15 minutes ago and I got the 5c back.

Well that's not true, I just did it in SuperValu about 15 minutes ago and I got the 5c back.

if you are due change of 2c you will get nothing back. if they gave you 5c instead of 2cn then they did it wrong.

Depends which order you put the coins in, put the 1c's and 2c's in first then finish with a 5c, 10c, 20c or whatever coin is needed to bring it past the 51c.

if you are due change of 2c you will get nothing back. if they gave you 5c instead of 2cn then they did it wrong.

The machine did it wrong? :D

The machine is programmed and my friend obviously works his system around said program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Inserting the coins in a particular order will get you where you want. ie to deposit 54c, add 2c, 2c, then 50c (for example). It requires a bit of forethought though.

A price of 51c, with 53c tendered in cash, should have 0c change returned (as the exact change is 2c). The machine must be applying a different logic, or the story has lost something in the telling.

Advertisement