Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU & HSF replacement

Options
  • 19-02-2016 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some suggestions on what to replace my current PSU and HSF with.

I'm using the stock Intel HSF with a 4690K and my power supply (nearly 10 years old at this stage) is an OCZ ModStream 520W. There doesn't really seem to be any major issues caused by either but since moving to a much smaller case (CM Stacker to Zalman Z1) my temps run significantly higher with the PC being louder too.

These are my specs: http://i.imgur.com/Pjp8UG5.jpg

Would like to spend less than €100 combined.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is your PSU actually noisy? It's still fine to use really otherwise. CPU wise something like a Evo 212 cooler is the perfect balance between price and performance. The Z1 is a cheap case so airflow wouldn't be brilliant, you will have higher temps than before. From looking it appears to only support 1 rear fan and one front fan - but install a decent second fan in front too and that will help. Also, you have a 'K' series unlocked CPU but a non overclocking motherboard...the only difference between the K and non-k 4690 is (apart from price) the former can be overclocked on supported chipsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Is your PSU actually noisy? It's still fine to use really otherwise. CPU wise something like a Evo 212 cooler is the perfect balance between price and performance. The Z1 is a cheap case so airflow wouldn't be brilliant, you will have higher temps than before. From looking it appears to only support 1 rear fan and one front fan - but install a decent second fan in front too and that will help. Also, you have a 'K' series unlocked CPU but a non overclocking motherboard...the only difference between the K and non-k 4690 is (apart from price) the former can be overclocked on supported chipsets.

Yea the power supply's pretty noisy. Kind of makes a whining noise sometimes too.

A second front fan is an idea, I'll see what effect a decent HSF has first though. Thanks for the recommendation.

Actually if you look at the right hand side of the image I linked you'll see the CPU's running at 4.2Ghz. About a year ago MSI released an updated BIOS for my motherboard that allows overclocking. I've had it stable at 4.4Ghz but I don't want to push it till I have some proper cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Well, you coukd buy a BeQuiet PSU for about €60, and then add the Cooler Master 212 for €30. That's a fairly silent set-up. Add an extra intake fan for a tenner and that should be a good step-up.

Advertisement