Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

childminders rates

Options
  • 19-02-2016 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi looking for advice on payments for minding 3 children in their home 4 year 2 year 8year from 9am to 4:20 3 days a week school runs average 10 mile trip to go to and from I get paid 165 but 25/30 of that goes on petrol to and from their house so I'm walking away with 135 really is this a fair price

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

MOD: Hi OP,
    I've moved your thread over to Parenting as it's more suited to that forum. Please take note of the new charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

You are there for 7 hours and twenty minutes a day. Total 22 hours per week. getting say 135 net of fuel. Works out at just over 6 euro per hour which is below minimum wage. If you don't take out fuel it is 7.50 an hour. If you are in first year of employment different rates apply.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/pay_and_employment/pay_inc_min_wage.html

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭simone79

I'm there 10 months either way 7:50 is very low for 3 kids o think

Do you use your own car to ferry the kids to and from school?
    How old are you?
    How many years experience have you?

These will help us figure out if you are being treated fairly or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Something you may want to keep in mind 're car costs is that you may need commercial insurance in case of an accident.

• Advertisement

I've had 2 year experience yes use my own car

2 year experience and I'm 36 with this family 9/10 months now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

OP - is this 'cash in hand' or are you paying tax?

If it's CIH, then minimum wage doesn't apply IMO - you're not paying tax/USC/PRSI etc.

You're getting €7.50 per hr FWICS - if that's a net figure, then it's ok w/o being generous........

The €25-30 you spend on petrol - is that to/from work, or to/from school? If it's to/from work, then that's your own business, if it's petrol used as part of the job, I'd be looking for a re-imbursement.

Well I travel 30km to here altogether then an extra 10 mile a day to the school runs

Minimum wage is now €9.15 per hour
    As another poster has said, your car insurance may need to be updated. The cost of that and the petrol use to ferry kids around should be met by employer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

If they are paying your PAYE Etc. then 7.50 net per hour isn't bad.

I'd be looking for money back for petrol for school runs though. 10 a week if 10 miles return. x 3 days

Updated I already pay 2000 insurance I certainly won't b paying more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Around Dublin Live out Au Pairs get around 300 per week so you should be getting at least 200 for 3 days if you are using your own car. Registered Child Minders get a higher rate. Whenever one of these threads starts you end up with some people insisting you should refuse to work or less than 15 per hour but you need to make sure you don't price yourself out of the market.

Yea 200 sounds fair I take kids midterms when sick etc all at no extra charge and 3 kids is hard work when all home together on summer holidays midterms ect

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you work in their house and are not an au pair then employment law applies .
    You are entitled to min wage and they must register you as an employee .

simone79 wrote: »
    Updated I already pay 2000 insurance I certainly won't b paying more

It would be up to your employer to pay the difference. After all, you are driving their children and it's in their best interest for you to be properly insured.

The OP hasn't clarified her employment status. Is she paid 'cash in hand', or does she pay tax, PRSI, USC etc? If it's the former, then Min. Wage etc is irrelevant.

Others have suggested that €200 p.w. is the going rate for 3 full days.

The OP should take this to her 'employer' and negotiate from there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

blindsider wrote: »
    The OP hasn't clarified her employment status. Is she paid 'cash in hand', or does she pay tax, PRSI, USC etc? If it's the former, then Min. Wage etc is irrelevant.

It isn't irrelevant because it is a legal fact that she should be on min wage and entitled to PRSI paid for her .

I respectfully suggest that it is.

It is also a 'legal fact' that the OP should be paying tax, PRSI and USC, and may not be.

FWICS the OP knowingly and willingly entered into an 'illegal' arrangement.

How can you claim the benefits of legal employment, when you are (willingly) not legally employed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

It's been a long time since i needed a childminder so pardon the ignorance but seriously, do the majority of hard pressed parents really pay employers PRSI (8%) and deduct tax and usc from their childminders. Times have changed.

• Advertisement

emeldc wrote: »
    It's been a long time since i needed a childminder so pardon the ignorance but seriously, do the majority of hard pressed parents really pay employers PRSI (8%) and deduct tax and usc from their childminders. Times have changed.

Only if it is in the child's house .
    If you are minding in your house and earn under 15k you are tax exempt and pay a standard rate of PRSI .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Moonbeam wrote: »

Only if it is in the child's house .
    If you are minding in your house and earn under 15k you are tax exempt and pay a standard rate of PRSI .

But do many comply with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

emeldc wrote: »
    But do many comply with that.

No, last time I heard figures on it the figure of compliant childminders was 426 out of an estimated 20,000 childminders, that was a few years ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We employ a minder in our home, we are registered as the employer and return the relevant paperwork to Revenue and it is all above board. As a minder working in your own home it is up to you to sort out your tax affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

I'm employed by a family as a childminder working in their family home.
    Everything's above board here too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

You are being taken advantage of a bit, the expecting you to do school runs and not be paid for petrol is really bad, but it seems to be surprisingly common.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I respectfully suggest that it is.

It is also a 'legal fact' that the OP should be paying tax, PRSI and USC, and may not be.

FWICS the OP knowingly and willingly entered into an 'illegal' arrangement.

How can you claim the benefits of legal employment, when you are (willingly) not legally employed?

How do you know she is willing? parents often offer cash in hand why is it not up the employer ( the parents ) to offer proper employment conditions.
    I feel sorry for parents with the cost of child minding, however that does not excuse offering cash in had because they want to do it as cheaply as possible then complaining if it goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

mariaalice wrote: »
    You are being taken advantage of a bit, the expecting you to do school runs and not be paid for petrol is really bad, but it seems to be surprisingly common.

I agree with that. I get an allowance for fuel costs but it's only something like 36cent per mile. So if op is only doing 10 miles per week with the school runs it's not going to make a huge difference.

Advertisement