Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick query

Options
  • 19-02-2016 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

Sorry for posting this as I am pretty sure I know the answer.

I was reading about the new regulations and the two year rent review on the PRTB website.

Would I be right in saying that under the new regs that if a lease began in June 2015, then the rent cannot be increased until June 2017 (with 90 days notice). We asked our landlord for a new oven and he said something about increasing the rent once the lease is up so just want to be ready. A new oven would hardly count as refurbishment.

I got my information here.

http://www.prtb.ie/dispute-resolution/disputes/the-three-stages-of-a-tenancy/rent-reviews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You're correct. The rent cannot be reviewed until June 2017.

The refurbishment clause for terminating a tenancy only applies outside a fixed term lease and under Part 4 must be 'substantial'. This would only apply for significant work that would require you to vacate (replacing an oven wouldn't). Should a landlord give notice for this (and they would need to specify the nature of the works) it would be an open and shut case with the PRTB for illegal termination.

In other words, your landlord is a chancer.

Advertisement