Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expandable budget NAS, option to run things on server?

Options
  • 19-02-2016 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

I have been getting by using a 500GB WD external HDD connected to our Eircom f1000 router to serve us media. Often the router would have to be restarted to get it to detect the drive and now it has stopped detecting it altogether. The drive works when connected to my PC, but it is not getting detected by the router, any of our TVs or set top boxes. I have formatted and created different file systems with GPT and MBR etc. but it is just not happening.

I am tempted to pick up another external drive in PC World today, although I know I will most likely get a better price online. I have always wanted to set up a NAS, so perhaps I could make inroads towards it instead of buying another external drive.

When I last looked at this a few years ago building your own NAS seemed to offer the best value, is that still the case?

I am looking for a configuration where I can stick one HDD in it, but later easily enough add more drives to this - without having to find space to back everything up first. Is this possible?

I would also like to be able run things on the server like bittorrent, and perhaps a VPN, couchpotato and sickbeard.

- Preference for linux.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

HP GL series microserver will probably be your best bet. They do regular rebate offers that make them very cheap.

Stepping up a knotch to the Avoton series gives you a lot more power, but the budget comes closer to €1000 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

How about this? Allows up to six drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

syklops wrote: »
    How about this? Allows up to six drives.

Eh no, if you read the OP that won't cover what he wants at all.

Them's the ones. Check bargain alerts for the megathread on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

ED E wrote: »
    Eh no, if you read the OP that won't cover what he wants at all.

I did read the OP.
    I am looking for a configuration where I can stick one HDD in it, but later easily enough add more drives to this - without having to find space to back everything up first. Is this possible?

I would also like to be able run things on the server like bittorrent, and perhaps a VPN, couchpotato and sickbeard.

- Preference for linux.

In what way does my suggestion not cover what he wants? He can start off with one drive and add more later on. Runs linux so he can have bit torrent and VPN on it. Seems perfect IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

dusf wrote: »
    I have been getting by using a 500GB WD external HDD connected to our Eircom f1000 router to serve us media. Often the router would have to be restarted to get it to detect the drive and now it has stopped detecting it altogether. The drive works when connected to my PC, but it is not getting detected by the router, any of our TVs or set top boxes. I have formatted and created different file systems with GPT and MBR etc. but it is just not happening.

I am tempted to pick up another external drive in PC World today, although I know I will most likely get a better price online. I have always wanted to set up a NAS, so perhaps I could make inroads towards it instead of buying another external drive.

When I last looked at this a few years ago building your own NAS seemed to offer the best value, is that still the case?

- Preference for linux.

Either a HP Microserver on a performance/cost/noise basis or a Synology NAS if your willing to spend a little more. I have had a N40L running ubuntu and a Synology DS1512+ and even considering the difference in cost, the Synology wins hands down due to its usability.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, I had an N40L a while back but just got fed up messing with it all the time so sold it and bought a Synology NAS. Best decision I ever made, and I can concentrate on actually using it rather than fixing it.

Advertisement