If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring Multi room audio and ceiling speakers

Options
  • 19-02-2016 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello,

Currently getting electrical wiring installed for new self build project and while I still have the access now was looking to wire up the house for multi room audio with in ceiling speakers in most rooms in the house. 

Would like to control all music, fm radio from central dedicated comms room using an iPad or iPhone app if possible. I'd like to be able to select which rooms the music/radio is played in and also for the TV audio to be connected to the rooms ceiling speakers. 

I have already ran 2 x 75ohm coax and 2 x Cat5e cables to all TV points throughout the house which have  all been ran back to the comms room.  I have loads of cat5e cable and was thinking I could use that as speaker cable / audio cable but said I'd better talk to the experts about that first!

What would you recommend as speaker wire, how many runs to each speaker, Where should the ceiling speakers be located and how many per room? Is there any rules for installation of ceiling speakers. 

Unfortunately haven't got the cash at the moment to hand all this over to dedicated AV company so my electrician and I are going to make a go of it. If I can get the house wired for sound before the plasterer covers up all my access then it will make life easier when we go to connect it all together!  Would like to have audio hard wired in as not a fan of wireless speaker setups like sonos.

Would really appreciate your help on this one! And a price for the wiring/ system /speakers you think I should use? 

Kind regards, 

Pilatus09

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

pilatus09 wrote: »
    Hello,

Currently getting electrical wiring installed for new self build project and while I still have the access now was looking to wire up the house for multi room audio with in ceiling speakers in most rooms in the house. 

Would like to control all music, fm radio from central dedicated comms room using an iPad or iPhone app if possible. I'd like to be able to select which rooms the music/radio is played in and also for the TV audio to be connected to the rooms ceiling speakers. 

I have already ran 2 x 75ohm coax and 2 x Cat5e cables to all TV points throughout the house which have  all been ran back to the comms room.  I have loads of cat5e cable and was thinking I could use that as speaker cable / audio cable but said I'd better talk to the experts about that first!

What would you recommend as speaker wire, how many runs to each speaker, Where should the ceiling speakers be located and how many per room? Is there any rules for installation of ceiling speakers. 

Unfortunately haven't got the cash at the moment to hand all this over to dedicated AV company so my electrician and I are going to make a go of it. If I can get the house wired for sound before the plasterer covers up all my access then it will make life easier when we go to connect it all together!  Would like to have audio hard wired in as not a fan of wireless speaker setups like sonos.

Would really appreciate your help on this one! And a price for the wiring/ system /speakers you think I should use? 

Kind regards, 

Pilatus09
    Hi Pilatus, many thanks for the post

You're right to be thinking about the wiring no and get it in while you can. 

With regards to the amount an positioning of ceiling speakers, ideally if wee had a set of plans I could tell you exactly, but generally speaking, in standard rooms you would want 1 pair of ceiling speakers, in a larger room/open plan usually 2 pairs. they should be evenly spaced generally to give the best spread of sound - Again with an idea of room size I could narrow that down a bit :)

For the cabling itself, you are always better using proper speaker cable rather than Cat5 or other cables, to stop interferance etc
    For long runs we usually would say the Symphony 100 cable - this is normally £0.99/€1.29 per metre, but if you needed a lot of it, buying a 400m drum would work out a fair bit cheaper. Or there is Symphony 200, which is £1.49/€1.99 but is available on a 200m roll, again at a decent saving

As for the system, I understand your concerns on a wireless system, but the likes of Sonos and Denon Heos can be hardwired also, stopping any issues of dropout. Of the 2, we prefer the Heos. It is similarly priced for most stuff, but just sounds a fair bit better. They also do a soundbar for the TV which is about half the price of the Sonos but every bit as good

If you wanted to give me an idea of amount of rooms, and size of rooms, I could narrow this all down for you a bit and give you an idea of costs?

Drop me an email at sales@richersounds.ie if you're interested and I'll see what I can work out for you

Brian

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.