Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A1 house or A1 area?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I would be buying the detached house. But also because it's in the better area. Though all those areas look good to me. I would always try and live as far away from anywhere dodgy as possible. I wouldn't live in a luxury penthouse for 50 euro a month if it was beside Fatima Mansions, say.

My idea of heaven would also be an area full of OAPs. No hordes of kids roaring at 10 pm, no gangs of feral teenagers, no student parties until 4am. Sounds brilliant to me. Old people rock.

Teyla the places Sligo mentioned and from brief description, they houses are asking a huge amount of money. The houses could be 7 figures. More money the majority of people could ever spend on a house. I doubt now hordes of kids would be roaring or gangs of feral teenagers would be roaming around any of the houses in that price bracket ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Villa05

Millem wrote:
    Teyla the places Sligo mentioned and from brief description, they houses are asking a huge amount of money. The houses could be 7 figures. More money the majority of people could ever spend on a house. I doubt now hordes of kids would be roaring or gangs of feral teenagers would be roaming around any of the houses in that price bracket

Could be a general advise thread on location v quality of house

Plus no area is crime or drugs free

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IN many area ,s crime is very low ,because kids grow up.
    when the average age in an area is 30-40 crime rates go down .

Most crime or anti social behavior is carried out by teens under the age of 20 .
    of course theres a small amount of professional criminals ,
    drug dealers ,burglars ,or drug addicts will continue to commit crime .
    Even as they grow older .
    Even in rural area,s there,s crime and drug dealing .
    All the area,s mentioned by the potential buyer are safe middle class area,s .of course buying a house in ballsbridge is a good investment ,
    if you are think in terms of possible rise in the value of the house ,in 10-20 years .

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

whats the insulation like in the detached house? We bought an older semi d house and couldnt get over how cold the house was in comparison with our younger first semi d. We have insulated the gable wall and was only commenting to hubby how detached houses must be so much colder then semi d's? Could be wrong though just something to consider. Our new house is on a road full of OAPS its bliss...so quite! Our last estate was full of young families and it drove me mad, even tho i am a parent myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I would pick the semi-d. I'd HATE to move into a house that requires a good bit of work to it. Also, if your family is growing, would the larger house not suit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Being able to design an extension & refurb a house to the way I want it is exactly why I'd buy the detached house. I love doing house stuff & I'm right in the middle of a two year house refurb & extension project.
    Everyone wants something different thankfully.
    For me I'd choose the detached house (a huge bonus which you don't appreciate until you experience it) on the better road & do it up and extend it over time. It sounds like the long-term family home so you can take your time to do it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hi all, we ended up walking away from both houses. We were bidding on the detached in the great area and we had to decide whether we wanted to up the bid or walk away as it was getting very expensive and tbh we didn't think it was worth it in the end. Better properties on the same road have gone for less.. As we would have to put a big extension on we decided to walk away and try and get something in the same area that perhaps isn't as small and wouldn't need as much work.

We decided not to bid in the great house as after taking a few drives down the road it was on we realised it was actually quite a busy road and would prefer something not so busy for the kids.

What will be will be I spose... Hopefully something more suitable comes up soon (fingers crossed).

Thanks for all the advice :).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Hard luck. Better luck next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Sounds sensible to be honest. The right house will come along.

Advertisement