Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Club Cooking Challenge #2

• 19-02-2016 7:15pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This week, we'll be proving you with a list of 5 ingredients. You must use those at least 3 of these 5 ingredients to make a dish. In addition to the list, you can use basic pantry items. These should be things that most people have in their homes e.g. seasonings, herbs and spices, basic staples like rice or pasta, milk etc. This is to see how creative you can get with limited ingredients. If this reminds you of a well-known TV show, you'd be on the right path . You could add basic vegetables, for instance, but you must not purchase anything for this challenge outside of the 5 listed ingredients!

How to join in:

***You don't have to have made this dish before! You could just suggest what you would do with these ingredient.***

Post your recipe below, with pictures if you like. The pictures must be your own, though! Ideally, put your pictures after the complete ingredients list and method, for readability.

To maintain the spirit of the forum, please try someone else's recipe and give them feedback.

If you don't have a recipe to post, that's cool too! Feel free to try whichever recipes grab your fancy and don't forget to post with your feedback.

We will leave each "Challenge" run until for a week. After the week has ended, new recipe submissions for that dish will be stopped, but you can continue to comment on previous submissions as much as you like.

Ingredients:

Cucumber
    Hazelnuts
    Beans (your choice)
    Butternut squash
    Bacon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

A number of things I can think of:

Roasted butternut squash stuffed ravioli scattered with toasted hazelnuts, chopped crispy bacon and burnt butter sauce. Ravioli can be made fresh, or use wonton wrappers.

You can omit the pasta all together and just roast cubes of butternut squash, then coat with spices and maple syrup, and top as above.

I'm also thinking of making butternut squash pancakes, by making the batter with cooked butternut squash, some flour of choice, eggs and salt. Also mix in hazelnuts that's been blitzed into butter. Top the pancakes with strips of crispy bacon and maple syrup or honey.

A salad would probably be the most obvious for all ingredients to be included in. Cubes of roasted butternut squash, add drained tin of chickpeas, toasted hazelnuts, chopped cucumber, chunks of bacon fried, some quartered cherry tomatoes, chopped spring onion, some leafy greens like rocket or watercress, all tossed in a dressing of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Finally back on line after the server thingy a few weeks ago (have been unable to log in since).

I have no idea what to cook with 3 items - But I'd do butterbean and bacon soup. Perhaps I'd drizzle a type of hazelnut pesto on top?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

I would roast the butternut squash whole wrapped in bacon.

Dice the cucumbers and make a hazelnutty pesto to be drizzled over.

The beans some sort of side dish, passata, lime but paprika/cayenne maybe.

Advertisement