Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comprehension Skills

Options
  • 19-02-2016 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Not entirely sure this is the right forum, buy maybe someone may be able to help.

My 11 year old niece struggles somewhat with her comprehension skills. I recently had a conversation with my brother about this, as he had just come from her Parent Teacher Meeting, and it was clear that my niece was falling behind in all her aspects of 5th class. The teacher believer it was her ability, or inability rather, to comprehend the tasks set to her that was leading to this.

My niece was always quite 'fleeting' and never had much success in staying at one task at a time, be it playing or homework.

It probably doesn't help either that her younger 8 year old sister is the exact opposite, excelling in all subjects and generally being top of the class.

My brother was quite exasperated on the phone telling me this, and came to me in search of answers or tips (I'm a second level teacher).

I was quite stumped, in all honesty. My niece is in 5th class, so obviously a primary level curriculum applies. What I did tell my brother was perhaps to get 4th class English texts, and get her to do extra comprehension exercises in these, and also perhaps to extend this thinking to Maths and Irish. My way of thinking is to perhaps improve her confidence with dealing with texts in this way, which may lead to a better handle on more sophisticated content.

I also said to my brother to try and really limit her interaction with electronic devices (she's glued to iPad), and try to get her reading for pleasure...introducing her to books/magazines that appeal to her. Also maybe to introduce a rewards system at home, rather than completely forsaking the technology.

I guess my question is, after all that (apologies!), is whether anyone has experienced something similar, and maybe had any strategies with which to help her?

Cheers for reading.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Posted an answer on your other thread.

Advertisement