Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build me a PC - €1000 or less.

Options
  • 19-02-2016 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 4460 €175
    H81M board €50
    1tb HDD €50
    250gb SSD €90
    Case €70
    500w PSU €50
    8gb RAM €40
    R9 390 €350

€100 for a keyboard and mouse
    €25 for a Windows licence

Total €1000

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

OP, do you want a standard membrane keyboard or a mechanical one? Likewise, how many buttons on your mouse? Do you want it to be ergonomic or ambidextrous?
    I recommend putting aside €100-€180 for your peripherals, as these will be your main interaction with your PC. Good brands for peripherals are Corsair, Logitech, SteelSeries, Razer and Roccat, but of course many others exist.
    As for hardware side, Digital Solitude has put forward a nice set-up.
    As for your monitor, what resolution is it and what refresh rate (60hz, 144hz?).
    All of this information will allow us to help you pick a PC that best suits your needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 P1nkr0ses

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

P1nkr0ses wrote: »
    Keyboard: After a quick google, I'd probably go with a mechanical one.
    Mouse: I do like the idea of a three button mouse. Even an extra button where my thumb would be. More the merrier for shooters and maybe space sims.

Well this may be blasphemy but I'd probably use my 47" samsung TV as a monitor for awhile until I can afford a nice monitor. Alternatively my girlfriend has an ASUS 4K MHL screen that I could borrow. Not sure of the refresh rate. I think it has 60hz refresh rate.

Is there any long term benefit to opting for a new Skylake intel and allowing for DDR4 ram?
    Also are the differences between the R9 390 and say the GTX 970/980 negligible? *Edit: Just noticed the price difference! Nevermind.*

Mechs are expensive, I wouldn't priorities unless you're upping the budget.

5 button mouse is nice

Long term benefit is the DDR4 essentially, but there's no performance gain in gaming so Has well is cheaper for a budgeted build

Go 390 IMO, 8gb VRAM will be beautiful for higher resolutions and if you mod games etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 P1nkr0ses

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It depends on what games you play, if you look at charts for Fallout4 2133 and 2400mhz ram make a significant difference over 1600mhz ram which is what you are limited to with Haswell unless overclocking. It's not as apparent in other games but at this stage with money like that I would just go skylake, it would be different if it was a 500 euro build but 1K is a different kettle of fish.

If you're gaming at 1080P in the longer term, a GTX970 or 390 non-X are both great value for money, personally I would prefer the 390 as it has more vram but either is a good choice. If you're temporarily playing at 4K you will have to turn down settings in games, it's a GPU killer.

I'm not really in favor of spending 10-15% of the budget on a keyboard and mouse, and these can easily be changed down the line or upgraded - get your core build right first. I personally have a €30 Gigabyte mouse and a €20 keyboard and have done for years and don't really feel any need to upgrade, mostly play FPS like BF4/Battlefront/etc.

Finally I just noticed you are not purchasing for up to six months. There's no point spec'ing a build now to be honest. In six months only half or none of this advice will apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Core i5 6400: €180
    MSI Z170A PC Mate: €105
    8GB DDR4: €45
    Crucial BX200: €65
    WD Blue 1TB: €45
    Enermax Thriatlon 650 Eco: €70
    Total is €510 by my calculations. This offers a good baseline for you, and if you want I could send you the links for BIOSes to overclock the CPU in that mobo (I have them all on hand, I ain't lettin Intel gimp these chips)
    For Mech keyboards, you shoukd see if you enjoy using Cherry switches at all. WASD Keyboards has a tester kit for €20 or so, and included all Cherry keys. Other keys like Steelseries QS1, Logitech's Romer G and Corsair's Cherry MX Silent are all different though. Razer has some slight differences in their Green and Orange keys.
    Mice? I recommend the Steelseries Rival line-up: Ergonomic and excellent for the price. The Rival 300 is awesome, but the Rival 100 is great bang for your buck. That and their drivers and engine support are second to none.

On the GPU side, in 6 months Polaris should be released (I'd say Huang himself is worried about Pascal's no show for testing until now) so you can budget for them.
    Cases are case by case basis. I recommend finding something you like the look of, that offers great features and holds value. Big brands from 2015 are NZXT (their H440 receiving the best case from Tom's Hardware twice in a row) and Phanteks (Their Eclipse line is excellent for the price, and their Evolv series are beautiful. The ATX version however, is €180 so it's expensive.)

Advertisement