Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Irish Carbonara by any other name...

Options
  • 19-02-2016 9:24pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it's clear that what passes for Carbonara in Ireland, is not a traditional carbonara by a long shot. It's still a tasty dish.

Rather than convince us to stop adding cream, onions, chicken, peas, and so on, to cremated lardons and pasta, how about we figure out what it's proper name should be?

Clearly carbonara on a menu in Ireland is recognisably something that definitely contains pasta and bacon, but is likely to also have cream or mushrooms (seriously folks, who sneaks these in there). Should we find a new name for it? Or should we just insist on calling it Irish carbonara? Apart from the obvious languages evolves, and cooking evolves, and local country that produces a lot of dairy adds cream to everything...

[as I type this, I have a bowl of pasta shells covered in caramelised onions and lardons, chicken, cream, black pepper, peas, and parmesan]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I have nothing really to add other than that this has just reminded me that I had a dream last night that I was in an episode of Agents of SHIELD and Jamie Oliver was there too and his secret power was that he added cream to his carbonara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

When I make it, I call it bastardised carbonara, but I suppose no-one would put that on a menu! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Creamy pasta with chicken and bacon???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Who cares if it's made with cream and mushrooms ? If that's what the person cooking it wants and like then so be it.

To me, it stinks of snobbery and I really don't understand how it annoys someone that much to start a thread about it. For the record I prefer it without cream and made the traditional way with egg yokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Would imagine thread started, in lighthearted way, as 'what is carbonara/shepherds pie/irish stew/coddle is a constant topic for debate round these parts/anywhere people talk about food :) Rather than out of snobbery or annoyance.

Have spent way more time than I'd like to admit to trying to think of a name for Irish carbonara today! Carboneire is the best I could come up with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

May as well call it 'Feck off with your Carbonara' since it's anything but. Difficult to label the alternatives, since there are so many variations.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I was reading a menu recently that had carbonara (with cream) listed under 'Traditional Irish Favourites'.

I've had proper carbonara in Italy and I've had awful carbonara with cream in Italy but if I see carbonara with cream on a menu in Ireland I'll often go for it because I love creamy sauces. I'm under no illusions that it's the way carbonara is supposed to be but as long as the food is tasty and the description is accurate I don't care.

Calling it carboneire is genius though. Miss Flitworth for president!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Who cares if it's made with cream and mushrooms ? If that's what the person cooking it wants and like then so be it.

To me, it stinks of snobbery and I really don't understand how it annoys someone that much to start a thread about it. For the record I prefer it without cream and made the traditional way with egg yokes.

Too true. I make a great paella, only I make it with pasta. And no seafood. Oh and it's got a creamy sauce. But yeah, I'll continue calling it paella because I'm the person cooking it and so be it.

Carboneire! I like it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Another vote for carbonneire :)

I add crumbled black pudding into mine. I tend to leave out the cream and just use the traditional egg version. However, Thats mainly because I never have cream in the fridge.

Also sometimes make a 'salmon carbonara' :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Too true. I make a great paella, only I make it with pasta. And no seafood. Oh and it's got a creamy sauce. But yeah, I'll continue calling it paella because I'm the person cooking it and so be it.

Carboneire! I like it. :)

Why bother with names for dishes at all if one can substitute any or all of the ingredients. Why not just call all dishes paella or carbonara irrespective of the ingredients or process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Why bother with names for dishes at all if one can substitute any or all of the ingredients. Why not just call all dishes paella or carbonara irrespective of the ingredients or process?

Seriously? Your sarcasm detector is broken, I take it. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

If it's renamed it'll confuse people. It's only the bare minimum of people like yourselves that know what carbonara actually is. Here it will always be in the cream dish. Even the Italian restaurants make it the way it is loved here.

In the same way Tikka Masala and other Indian dishes were westernised for our palette.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

"I can"t believe its not Carbonara"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Celtic Carbonara! That way we could add anything we liked...... throw in a bit of cabbage with the bacon :eek:

Italy would probably declare war on us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

PLL wrote: »

In the same way Tikka Masala and other Indian dishes were westernised for our palette.

The most likely origin of tikka masala is British so...

And our 'carbonara' is really closer to an Alfredo sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Italy would probably declare war on us :D

Your actions have already been noticed.

(and will be reported to the authorities)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Another vote for Carboneire. I like traditional carbonara and the Irish version of it. Sometimes I just want a richer creamier dish and Carboneire is great for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Traditional carbonara is way richer than the version ye're all on about. Btw

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've had Lasagne made with seafood, or vegetarian versions. It's still called Lasagne.

My Spag bol would make an Italian cry, because in a desperate bid to stealthily get veggies into my boys, I now put finely diced carrots and lentils in it. When I'm satisfied that they are actually eating a bit more fruit and veg and we have successfully avoided the threat of scurvy in the house, then I'll omit the carrots. The lentils in it are lovely though (never thought I'd say that about lentils.)

I make Carboneire. I know its not Carbonara, I've tasted the real thing in its homeland. But it's still nice. I've never heard of it with peas though. I was initially like "whaaaat??" but if I can get veg into a meal (see above re: Scurvy) then I'm game.

^
    Carrot is in a tradition Bolognese ragu, so no need to get rid of it at all!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Excellent news. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Neyite wrote: »
    I've had Lasagne made with seafood, or vegetarian versions. It's still called Lasagne.

The name lasagna just refers to the type of pasta used as opposed to the filling, though. Unlike carbonara, which refers specifically to the sauce.

A friend of mine once asked for a carbonara without the cream in a restaurant and they refused. Wtf, like, it's easier to make it without the cream than with.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    The name lasagna just refers to the type of pasta used as opposed to the filling, though. Unlike carbonara, which refers specifically to the sauce.

A friend of mine once asked for a carbonara without the cream in a restaurant and they refused. Wtf, like, it's easier to make it without the cream than with.

Maybe they had a pre-made batch of the mystery sauce. Wouldn't surprise me!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

enda1 wrote: »
    Maybe they had a pre-made batch of the mystery sauce. Wouldn't surprise me!

Wouldn't surprise me either but still, it would have taken them all of 5 minutes to just whip up a real one for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Seriously? Your sarcasm detector is broken, I take it. :P

It was away being serviced over the weekend, all fixed now.

Although, given some of the arguments I've had here over naming dishes, nothing surprises me any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Carbon Arrah go on, sure you'll have some more

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Don't name it, just describe what's in it and it shuts the ridiot pedants up and lets those genuinely interested know what is in it. I find some who ask "what are you cooking" are just itching for an argument so I say nothing at all, say "I have no idea what it's called, but it's made from", sometimes pisses them off by denying them a good argument, if I am unsure if they are looking for an argument I would say "some might calll it XYZ, but I know some idiots would get upset over that...". You can usually tell by the tone they use, don't give them the satisfaction.

That's not real blah blah blah, --yeah, nobody gives a damn, most already know too...

The OP is still seemingly undecided anyway with the comment about mushrooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me either but still, it would have taken them all of 5 minutes to just whip up a real one for her.

... They didn't know how maybe.

I was on a "cookery course" where they did a carbonara with no eggs or cheese. Cream, mushrooms, rashers and peas. From a qualified chef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Carb O'Nara? Carb O'Meara? I'll be leaving. I'm so sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Mianadóra

Or

Mianadóra uachtarach

Advertisement