Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Irish Carbonara by any other name...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Dial Hard wrote: »
    The name lasagna just refers to the type of pasta used as opposed to the filling, though. Unlike carbonara, which refers specifically to the sauce.

A friend of mine once asked for a carbonara without the cream in a restaurant and they refused. Wtf, like, it's easier to make it without the cream than with.

Carbonara does not refer to the sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

ezra_pound wrote:
    Carbonara does not refer to the sauce.

Yes it does.

There's no consensus on where the name came from (coal-fired braziers on which the bacon was cooked, etc) but the name absolutely refers to the sauce as opposed to the pasta. What do you suggest it refers to?

Yes it does.

There's no consensus on where the name came from (coal-fired braziers on which the bacon was cooked, etc) but the name absolutely refers to the sauce as opposed to the pasta. What do you suggest it refers to?

It refers to the entire dish not to the sauce. There isn't really a sauce as such anyway.

Yes it does.

No.

Carbonara (Italian: [karboˈnaːra]) is an Italian pasta dish from Rome[1][2] based on eggs, cheese (Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano),[1] bacon (guanciale or pancetta), and black pepper. Spaghetti is usually used as the pasta; however, fettuccine, rigatoni, linguine or bucatini can also be used. The dish was created in the middle of the 20th century.

It's a dish not a sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

ezra_pound wrote:
    Carbonara (Italian: [karboˈnaËra]) is an Italian pasta dish from Rome[1][2] based on eggs, cheese (Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano),[1] bacon (guanciale or pancetta), and black pepper. Spaghetti is usually used as the pasta; however, fettuccine, rigatoni, linguine or bucatini can also be used. The dish was created in the middle of the 20th century.

It's a dish not a sauce.

So if the pasta isn't prescribed then the sauce (such as it is) is the defining factor. Which is exactly what I said.

• Advertisement

So if the pasta isn't prescribed then the sauce (such as it is) is the defining factor. Which is exactly what I said.

Carbonara is not a sauce. It is a dish.

The sauce is literally pasta water and egg so I can't see how that defines the dish. The dish is the entirety.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

rubadub wrote: »
    Don't name it, just describe what's in it and it shuts the ridiot pedants up and lets those genuinely interested know what is in it. I find some who ask "what are you cooking" are just itching for an argument so I say nothing at all, say "I have no idea what it's called, but it's made from", sometimes pisses them off by denying them a good argument, if I am unsure if they are looking for an argument I would say "some might calll it XYZ, but I know some idiots would get upset over that...". You can usually tell by the tone they use, don't give them the satisfaction.

That's not real blah blah blah, --yeah, nobody gives a damn, most already know too...

The OP is still seemingly undecided anyway with the comment about mushrooms.

Do you invite ezra pound into your kitchen regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

It's a bit like "chinese" dishes like General Tso's chicken and Chicken Chop Suey.
    I think it should be called Pasta Kilnascully. Much more appropriate.
    Not the real thing, but no one really cares because it's tasty.

Advertisement