Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruins in the Athy area

Options
  • 19-02-2016 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

As part of a photographic project I am looking to locate an old house in ruins within a 10 mile radius of Athyi would prefer a single storey cottage like structure that is advanced decay. It should be free of undergrowth and high weeds. I have identified two possibles but both have a lot of bushes and weeds. The properties are on the left leaving Athy near the Moate of Ardscull and the other just opposite the entrance to the new Waterworks on the Monasterevin road. Can anybody suggest other possible locations please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Browning

Have you tried the main street. Looked very run down the last time I passed through the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Browning wrote: »
    Have you tried the main street. Looked very run down the last time I passed through the town.

Sometimes comments like this are just someone with a chip, but in the case of Athy, its unfortuantely a very true and real comment and maybe the OP would look at changing the subject to one of "Recovery train didn't stop here" and do a photo story on the state of main street athy and the business campus on the kilkenny road.

Maybe if the bypass comes, it will give a lift - but work on it was meant to start in 1973.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

VincePP wrote: »
    Sometimes comments like this are just someone with a chip, but in the case of Athy, its unfortuantely a very true and real comment and maybe the OP would look at changing the subject to one of "Recovery train didn't stop here" and do a photo story on the state of main street athy and the business campus on the kilkenny road.

Maybe if the bypass comes, it will give a lift - but work on it was meant to start in 1973.

A few years ago Athy photographer Robert Redmond put up old photos of the town on boarded up buildings. It showed how much the town had deteriorated but also improved the town a little. Unfortunately it has declined even more since then. The boom barely hit Athy let alone recovery. If you're serious about an old cottage contact the historical society in the town. They might be able to help.

I agree that you should base your project on how the town has been neglected over the last few decades.

The bypass seems like a good idea but I think it will drive even more people away from the town while it is being constructed (if it gets constructed).

Advertisement