Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Jackie Healy-Rae was running in Kildare (N or S) would you vote for him?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    What about the year he claimed for 190 trips from Kerry to the Dáil, yet the Dáil only sat for 75 days. His claim forms showed he had also claimed a longer trip than it actually was.
    Or the time he admitted driving from Kerry with another member of the Oireachtas but refused to say if they both had claimed mileage.

The Healy-Rae clan guide to expenses

Hey, I'm not here to defend anyone. But I think he defended himself in all these cases. Being in the Dail for the periods when it isn't sitting deserves a medal surely. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

L1011 wrote: »
    It ceased the need to further investigate, which is a pity.

Would you pay back money you didn't owe?

Do you want to respond to the clearly dodgy travel expenses while still trying to claim honesty?

Politicians do not deserve deference solely by being elected. They can be a disgrace to politics despite being elected.

We can go back and forth on this tangent. But I can't leave until I say: if it ceased the need to further investigate then he wasn't found guilty.

I cant answer your first question though as it would depend.

On the issue of expenses, was he investigated on them? Was he found guilty of misconduct? So apart from here say and daily mail articles which don't equal "clearly" anything.

On your last comment, I agree with the first part and having an opinion on a politician is no crime, but slandering them is different.

If you voted for him, would you be insulted if people who didn't vote in your constituency, start slagging off him? You should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,865 ✭✭✭✭L1011

HonalD wrote: »

If you voted for him, would you be insulted if people who didn't vote in your constituency, start slagging off him? You should be.

If they had reason for it, no. There are damn good reasons to say that JHR was a terrible politician; as detailed on this thread. You can defend or try to wave them away if you want but it doesn't wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

HonalD wrote: »
    Hey, I'm not here to defend anyone. But I think he defended himself in all these cases. Being in the Dail for the periods when it isn't sitting deserves a medal surely. :)
    He defended himself by refusing to answer, taking the equivalent of the fifth amendment.

As you yourself said
    politicians actions speak louder than their words.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98615796&postcount=100

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

What a stupid question.

Kerry is like a different planet to Kildare. Not only that but the people and their needs differ too.

You might think Healy-Rae is a culchie idiot but the people of Kerry love him. He isn't in it for the power, his in it for his local people and he represents their wants and needs very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think this bizarre and pointless parallel universe needs closing off..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement