Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are ads on RTÉ player within Ireland?

• 20-02-2016 2:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭
    M

Why do we have to watch ads on RTÉ Player within ROI when we have paid our television licence? The BBC do not do this for anyone within the UK.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

RTE is also a commercial channel, whereas the BBC aren't and they (the BBC) are not allowed to carry advertising of any description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Strazdas wrote: »
    RTE is also a commercial channel, whereas the BBC aren't and they (the BBC) are not allowed to carry advertising of any description.

But it's not a solely commercial channel within ROI, it's state owned media funded from a licence required to have a television or a device capable or receiving a tv signal by law. It's either go down the road of BBC or go down the road of Channel 5, you can't have both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

But it's not a solely commercial channel within ROI, it's state owned media funded from a licence required to have a television or a device capable or receiving a tv signal by law. It's either go down the road of BBC or go down the road of Channel 5, you can't have both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

This is Ireland and we do have both.

M

Del2005 wrote: »
    This is Ireland and we do have both.

And wrongly, it should be 100% free ROI and fee paying rest of world or subscribers rest of word.

Anyone else on the planet of earth do state owned companies use our system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

RTÉ are not the only state owned television channels with adverts. The BBC is actually one of a very few that do not have ads. However RTÉ do show too many ads on the RTÉ Player. It is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

And it's the same ads over and over!
    No I don't want to buy a RAV4 thanks.

They show ads on live tv, we've just gotten around it with +boxes. Rte player is a handy service, I don't have an issue with advertising on it. It has to pay its way,
    But I do think there's a bit too much, to the point where you're less likely to watch something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

Too many ads for an online player. What I hate the most is that the RTE Player can be crap at times and when you are watching a programme on a laptop it can keep buffering. Then if you restart the bloody programme you have to watch the ads over and over again. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Why do we have to watch ads on RTÉ Player within ROI when we have paid our television licence? The BBC do not do this for anyone within the UK.

rte online is run on a commerical basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

The thing that really annoys me about this service, and tbh puts me off using it at all, is that there are so many ads on before it. I'm on metered broadband, and you can just see all those f**king ads eating up my allowance. Also, what I found with the RTE player was that it had a tendency to be very unforgiving on a less than perfect connection, and what would happen is that the ads would play but then not hand over to the program properly. Then if I wanted to see the program I had to refresh and watch the ads all over again.

And the radio player is ridiculous as well. One click on the main page to listen to newstalk. The RTE Player? click to get to the radio page, click to start the player, then click about a thousand more times before the popout window with the player eventually starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I watched something on the RTE player last week for the first time in a long time and there was only one ad. First time that's ever happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I don't bother with the RTÉ radio player. I find that the Irish Radioplayer is much better.

M

rte online is run on a commerical basis

Do they then have to pay RTE everytime there's an RTE Player mention or advert featured on either of the RTE channels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

lertsnim wrote: »
    I don't bother with the RTÉ radio player. I find that the Irish Radioplayer is much better.

yeah I just started using it, it's brilliant.

Trying to watch the rugby on the RTE player today and it's pretty pathetic. Click to play and it first plays you two ads which is about a minutes worth of viewing. Then it gets on to the match and it's jerky, then stops every five minutes. When it stops playing it doesnt automatically reconnect, forcing you to hit refresh, then it shows another minute of adverts (which play perfectly, well done on that RTE).

I mean they could at least write a cookie to the local machine to say that you've watched your quota of ads for that period of 1 hour or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Why don't they join the modern age with something better than 240p quality videos ....

Advertisement