Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gpu time

Options
  • 20-02-2016 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, well my trusty sapphire 7970 up and died yesterday so I am on the market for a new gpu, i was hoping to get another year out of it if i am honest as i was thinking of making a new gaming build. But thats life :pac:

My current setup is:
    cpu - intel i7 930
    mobo - Gigabyte X58a UD3R
    ram - 6 gigs OCZ 1600MHz
    psu - Antec 1000 W
    case - coolermaster Haf 922
    monitor - Aoc 28inch 4k

my budget is around 300 - 400, i was looking at 970's but then the r9 390/390x caught my eye. I figure the 4 extra gigs of vram would be fairly handy for playing at 4k and from everything ive seen it trades blows with the gtx 980.
    Anyone know any online store doing great deals on x390's at the moment? Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think your CPU is still fine for another while if you overclock it by a decent margin, I personally would lean towards the 390X myself with the higher vram though either is a good choice and big upgrade from the 7970. A good model 390 non-X is probably the best value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Is there much of a performance difference between a 390 and a 390x, tbh I'd love to go with nvidia as their drivers are always much better and their more widely supported, but from what I've seen the 390x competes with the 980 and those cost a pretty penny!
    I was looking at the xfx double dissipation 390x, terrible card? Or are they all similar

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=JCEATI-XFX-R9-390X-8DF6

Just bought this 390x for 420, seems like a great deal :) should be a nice upgrade,

I've over clocked my CPU before but it always seems to revert, what software is good for monitoring your clock speed's and stress testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Prime95 is the only job for stress testing, you want to run a torture test for 18-24 hours

Is there any good guide to doing it? I've noctua dh14 so I should have plenty of cooling

• Advertisement

Stress testing? Set the programming running and forget about it basically, if you've any errors it's unstable

For over clocking, I've done it but it never seems to stick

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/10827/gigabyte_shows_how_to_overclock_i7_920_cpu_to_4ghz/index.html

Download that PDF and it will guide you. It is for a gigabyte board so all settings will be the same for you.

Also you will need a aftermarket cooler if you don't already have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

AMD cards are ****e. Get a 980 or 970

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You've made some well argued points and given the OP a lot to think about. :D

i owned a 7970 for 4 years and it most certainly wasn't **** :pac: for the price i got this 390x id only be able to get a 970, and at 4k this card will be better than it

Also you will need a aftermarket cooler if you don't already have one.

yup i have a noctua dh14, think i am going to buy an AIO cooler though, i am slowly going to buy all new components until I switch cpu/mobo

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/10827/gigabyte_shows_how_to_overclock_i7_920_cpu_to_4ghz/index.html

Download that PDF and it will guide you. It is for a gigabyte board so all settings will be the same for you.

Pretty much used that step for step and I seem to be stable at 4ghz, ran linx for 20 passes and no errors, had prime 95 on for an hour and nothing either, my 4 core temps on load seem to be between 75-80, my CPU temp is around 59, and north bridge around 49 that's all fairly good right?
    Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

75-80 is a tad high but if it is stable at that temp at max load then you shouldn't have any worries. Leave prime95 running the blend test for a couple of hours at least. The program crashed around the 3 hour mark indicating that my RAM wasn't stable. I had set the XMP profile (standard RAM overclock) but apparently the voltage was incorrect after some googling. I reverted the change but must go back and apply it with the correct voltage.

what has me confused is that my cpu temp doesnt go over 59-60 but my 4 core temps do get into the 70-80 bracket, which is the most important temp to monitor?

There should be monitoring on each individual core, I've been looking at that personally as I assume if any one of those hits thermal max it will throttle. I may be assuming incorrectly but it can't hurt to take the higher option.

To be quite honest them figures are fine especially for running prime 95 for over and hour. You will not push a CPU as hard as that program does in general use and even gaming.

I said on the last page, but prime95 needs to be left running for about 24 hours to fully stress the CPU, as above, it'll never be pushed that hard but you're better with the knowledge that the OC is 100% stable, which takes 18-24 hours

I stole a general rule of thumb from some forum. Use "Small FFT" test to gauge temps and initial stability for a couple of minutes (took approx 6 mins to run a full set on my i5 3570K, though I usually let it go on a bit longer) for each increase you make on multiplier and voltage (multiplier first, and then voltage increase only if it gets unstable). Once you are happy with your overclock (so many restarts), run a minimum 8hour "Blend" test. Ideally have some kind of logging working in the background monitoring temps and other results. If it passes the 8 hour test it is in the "Very minor instability" range. Running for 24hours is the only way to know that it is "stable".

• Advertisement

I know all of people on forums tell you to run a stress test for 24 hours but in my own personal opinion that is overkill. You are pushing your CPU un-necessarily.

One thing that made my OC unstable one time was the RAM. It was 1333MHz 9-9-9-24 1T RAM stock but could be overclocked yourself to 1600MHz 7-7-7-20 which I done but it was unstable and I eventually found out that it was the timings that was causing it as I looked up the specifications and at 1600MHz it needed 2T and not not 1T which it was set at stock.

thanks for all the knowledge guys, very much appreciate it, I've fiddled with cpu overclocking before but it was never an informed decision, just messed with the blk as far as i remember. but clearly voltages etc. play a massive part in stability.

One issue i am having though is my cpu fan speed, I've a noctua nh-d14 that never go above 1188rpm, I've tried turning smart fan on/off set it to PWM in bios and I've configured it in smartfan's advanced tab for software controlled but i can never get it over 1188rpm, maybe my mobo and cpu fan dont support manual settings but surely the fan go higher than 1188

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

thanks for all the knowledge guys, very much appreciate it, I've fiddled with cpu overclocking before but it was never an informed decision, just messed with the blk as far as i remember. but clearly voltages etc. play a massive part in stability.

One issue i am having though is my cpu fan speed, I've a noctua nh-d14 that never go above 1188rpm, I've tried turning smart fan on/off set it to PWM in bios and I've configured it in smartfan's advanced tab for software controlled but i can never get it over 1188rpm, maybe my mobo and cpu fan dont support manual settings but surely the fan go higher than 1188

Depends on the fan. They max out at different rpm depending on their purpose and use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

for the price i got this 390x id only be able to get a 970, and at 4k this card will be better than it

You can pretty much forget about gaming at 4K on either of these cards.

You can pretty much forget about gaming at 4K on either of these cards.

Ah the 390X will be usable in fairness, I wouldn't envy looking at it, I'd take Ultra 60fps 1080p over Medium-High 30fps 4k, but that's probably what he's looking at

I'm not looking at anything at the moment :( same issue I thought was my failing 7970 has cropped its ugly head up again!
    My monitor (either my 4k or lg which had no problem running with my old gtx 460 for the last week) keeps randomly going into standby and I'm unable to wake it up. Since I changed out the 7970 for the gtx 460 last Friday this hasn't happened once! It makes me believe this is amd related but I've no goddam idea what.
    I've windows setup to never go into sleep mode, hell I installed a fresh copy of windows 10 last Friday as well just in case it was windows.

I am at a loss

Dodgy cable?

It happens with a mini dp to dp cable, a dp to dp cable, dvi, and HDMI, when I have the 390x my initial mobo splash screen is all sorts of weird artifacts, but then it loads windows up normally, only thing is windows 10 loads up but now I can't even get into it with going to black screen.

I don't know whether the new GPU has the exact same issue as the 7970 (would be a bit of a coincidence) or my monitors are fcuked, dodgy PSU? I've an antec 1000 watt so output should be grand

So god damn confused and annoyed

That would be a weird coincidence that the 390x and 7970 have the same problem.

Do you have a xbox or Play station to check if the monitor is ok?

• Advertisement

Ok sorry just read over the post a few posts up where you used a 460 with no problems.

Did you clear all old drivers before flashing the most recent driver for the amd card?

Advertisement