Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gpu time

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Its happening on both my old and newer monitor, wouldn't be a dying PSU? Takes longer for it to happen on my old monitor than my newer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Its happening on both my old and newer monitor, wouldn't be a dying PSU?

I read over that post again but I do not fully understand what symptoms you are getting.

What is going into stand by? The PC is it?

It may be a failing PSU but I'm not fully sure. Do you know anybody with a gaming PC? So you could use their PSU for a while.

The monitor, the PC stays running, but I can't get video output as it spontaneously goes into sleep mode and its very random as well, it can happen at windows start up or after a few minutes of windows running or the monitor mightn't give any output at all when the PC is powered on, this started happening a week ago with my 7970 on both of my monitors so I did a fresh install of windows 10 and put my old gtx 460 into it and bang it all seemed to work ok.

I then tried the 7970 again and almost instantly after installing drivers I got a white screen with loads of small black bars, I figured it was definitely the 7970 so I ordered the 390x and put the 460 back into it.
    I didn't have a single issue for the week I used the 460 and I even over clocked my CPU to a stable 4.0ghz.
    And then I installed the new card today. And all the issues I experienced from the 7970 a week ago are back, just reinstalled my gtx 460 now and so far no problems.

My method for driver installation is to uninstall gtx 460/7970/390x from device manager, then uninstall any nvidia/amd software, run c cleaner and then power off, fit new card, power on, download drivers and install drivers, is that the correct way to do it?

No good :( maybe my cards a dud

• Advertisement

No good :( maybe my cards a dud

I highly doubt the card is a dud. Your old AMD card is still good as both cards have the same problem.

A long shot but did you try googling the problem to see if anybody else has had the same problems and see if they came across any fixes as i have no idea what is wrong.

I've been googling my ass off :D I don't know, I'm generally very good at finding the source of a problem but this seems so random and specific to my amd cards, my gigabyte ud3r mobo splash screen is all fcukd up with weird artifacts but apparently that's a normal issue with 390/390x and gig mobos.
    Could this be a PSU problem? If my PSU was dying would it be outputting its rated 1000 watts and if it wasn't would it cause these kind of issues

Fixed it! I hope. My PSU is semi modular, one of the pins on a 6 pin cable plugged into it had a tiny piece of plastic broken off inside the socket, must have been stopping power running, I plugged the 6 pin into a different socket and it seems much more stable.
    Is having a power cable with a single metal pin very slightly uncovered inside a socket dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Probably not if you aren't plugging it in and out much. Just be careful with it when you do.

Glad you got it fixed.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, 390x is sweet :D witcher 2 @ 1440 all ultra except for ubersampling was a steady 60 fps

Advertisement