Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superhero Games

Options
  • 20-02-2016 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

I thought it might be nice to have a thread on superhero games that people have played and can recommend (or not recommend).

I'm a big fan of Marvel Heroes, the PC MMO which is basically superhero Diablo. It's not incredibly deep and is more a casual pick up and play type thing, but it's been by "go to" game for a quick fix, since it came out.

They revamped it from when it came out, so a lot of the characters feel unique (for example, Rogue steals other peoples powers and uses them, Blade loses health to his bloodlust the more he fights and Hulk gets angrier the more he fights) so it does give more reason to go back to the start and try a new character.

And it's free to play. Since I've enjoyed it so much, I don't mind throwing a couple of quid into it, but from the 11 current starter characters you can choose from, you can unlock more with a bit of effort (it's only a grind if you're not enjoying it, I guess)

And away from computers, I'm a big fan of Marvel Legendary Heroes, the deck building game. It's simplistic enough, but a good bit of crack, especially when you and your friends start off playing together, and then someone decides that maybe they want to win on their own. Things can turn nasty quickly.

So are there any games you've played that others should give a go, or avoid completely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The Arkham games are fantastic on the DC Side

For Marvel one of my personal favourite was Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2 its a pity they didn't continue the series for whatever reason , Also thought the Wolverine Origins game was decent much better than the rubbish movie that spawned it , Deadpool is great too but it does get a little boring after a while , Spiderman has had some classics but the games seem to have lost there way a little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Spider-man 2 on PS2 that had cool missions but also free-roaming capabilities with side missions and a great combat engine. It was like the Spidey equivalent of the Arkham games. Love to play that again...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ah, the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games were great. It's a pity a 3rd game was never made. I played UA2 just after reading a load of the Civil War comics, so it felt so cool being able to choose what heroes you wanted on your own side. Actually, I'll have to dig it out and play it again.

I never played the Wolverine game, but heard good things about it. I think it came out at a time when a lot of other more highly acclaimed games came out and I just didn't get around to it. The same for the Captain America game, which wasn't meant to be too bad a knock off of the Arkham games.

I've played a few of the Spiderman games and enjoyed them, but now I can't remember what ones were what. They've all blended into each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Spider-man 2 on PS2 that had cool missions but also free-roaming capabilities with side missions and a great combat engine. It was like the Spidey equivalent of the Arkham games. Love to play that again...

Spider-Man 2 was just fun. Fun fun fun fun fun. I can't see how they haven't been able to even nearly replicate it with all the Spider-Man games that have come out since.

Batman Arkham Asylum & City were both fantastic too. I'm probably one of the few who enjoyed City more than Arkham, but both are the best superhero games we've had probably in the last 10 years. Arkham Origins was a buggy mess that was really just City.5 with a dlc-standard of storyline. Arkham Knight should have been great but it had some poor level design and the forced overuse of the batmobile loses it points.

Other than those, the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games were brilliant. Really helped introduce me to a lot of characters I'd never seen before. Gameplay was brilliant too. And I enjoyed the hell out of Lego Marvel Superheroes.

The Deadpool game was okay. The humour in it was spot on, but it was way too short with very little depth and no replayability. It was worth playing on the cheap, but could have and should have been so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I always get tempted to pick up the marvel lego games but I have no interest in lego games. Now with the new one coming out, I might keep an eye out if the old Marvel lego game goes cheap. From vids I've seen, just the amount of characters and abilities they have, I might get over that it's lego.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I always get tempted to pick up the marvel lego games but I have no interest in lego games. Now with the new one coming out, I might keep an eye out if the old Marvel lego game goes cheap. From vids I've seen, just the amount of characters and abilities they have, I might get over that it's lego.

It's the only Lego game I've played to any great extent, even platinuming it (mostly because my nephew wanted all the characters including Stan Lee). The new one out (Lego Avengers) isn't a patch on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Been playing Marvel Puzzle Quest on the phone soon after it came out. It's a match 3+ game with different colours and power your heroes depending on the team you select. Very addicting when you want to do well in a mission or unlock/upgrade a character. Has added a lot of content over the last year and a half making it slightly harder to get some power up for your heroes but still fun.

Played another on facebook just before the time the first Avengers came out. It was a 3 v 3 against AI and had to do different missions and leveled up after each victory. Was hooked on it for a while but left it for a while and went back but there was just too much to do top catch up and some missions meant replaying them numerous times to get the next star or whatever. Was great to be reintroduced to loads of characters and ones I didn't know too.

Console games have been years since I played. Don't have a up to date system even though I love video games and any time over the last 8 or 9 years the only games I've played are FIFA, Tiger Woods or Resident Evil. I soft modded the Wii and played some of the Mega Drive and SNES games which are real fun and full of nostalgia. Captain America & The Avengers is a favourite as well as X-Men ('93 I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Penn wrote: »
    It's the only Lego game I've played to any great extent, even platinuming it (mostly because my nephew wanted all the characters including Stan Lee). The new one out (Lego Avengers) isn't a patch on it though.
    Yeah, I wasn't mad on the Lego Avengers game. It lacked the freedom of the previous Marvel and DC games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Was the Captain America game for PS3 any good?

Advertisement