Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Router sent out unusable

Options
  • 20-02-2016 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭

My mother was recently sent out an eircom D1000 modem after complaining endlessly about how bad the broadband was.

I attempted at setting it up and to no success.

Plug it in to the dsl, power it up and connect my Ethernet cable to the laptop.

Enter 192.168.1.254 and get "unable to access network".

The lights on the router do not detect the Ethernet cable ports 1-4 and yes I have tried a different cable.

The lights from power to dsl just flash flash and flash the whole time.

I have tried resetting but to no avail.

I am not a technophobe and have a degree in Engineering so please do not insult me with your "turn it off and turn it on again" answers.

We pay for 8mb but are lucky to get 1mb most of the time.

It's a terrible service!

Eir have said we must use they're hardware but how do you expect us to use it if it does not work??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Newtown90 wrote: »
    My mother was recently sent out an eircom D1000 modem after complaining endlessly about how bad the broadband was.

The lights on the router do not detect the Ethernet cable ports 1-4 and yes I have tried a different cable.

I am not a technophobe and have a degree in Engineering so please do not insult me with your "turn it off and turn it on again" answers.

It's a terrible service!

Eir have said we must use they're hardware but how do you expect us to use it if it does not work??

Sounds like they sent you a faulty router if all those lights are flashing especially the power one its not supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its bricked. 

The firmware corrupted during update. This happened because either

A. You were just unlucky, less than 1% will do this but it does happen

Or

B. You plugged it in to set it up and unplugged it/jostled it/moved the cable within the first 4-6 minutes while it was pulling the binary down and then flashing itself. 

Call support, they'll courier you out a new one next day. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Newtown90 wrote: »

It's a terrible service!

Very sorry to hear this Newtown90

The technical support team can arrange a new one for next day delivery if required. Please contact eir technical support on free phone 1901, local 1890260260 or via WebChat at www.eir.ie/chatnow.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement