Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godparents

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

4 godparents! I have never heard of that. We will struggle to find 2 I don't know how you had surplus enough to pick 4 per child !!

Both our families are at the stage where all Aunts and Uncles are now already godparents so we've run out of people. For no.1 as all bros + sisters are already godparents to other children, I picked a 1st cousin of mine as godfather and my OH's sister-in-law as godmother. Although his SIL is already a godparent to her friend's child, she wasn't a godparent to anyone in his family yet so it was ok to pick her. This time around I actually don't know what we're going to do....there's no-one available. We'll either have to lump somone that already has a godchild in the family with yet another one, or else look to in-laws or cousins again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Lucuma wrote: »
    4 godparents! I have never heard of that. We will struggle to find 2 I don't know how you had surplus enough to pick 4 per child !!

Both our families are at the stage where all Aunts and Uncles are now already godparents so we've run out of people. For no.1 as all bros + sisters are already godparents to other children, I picked a 1st cousin of mine as godfather and my OH's sister-in-law as godmother. Although his SIL is already a godparent to her friend's child, she wasn't a godparent to anyone in his family yet so it was ok to pick her. This time around I actually don't know what we're going to do....there's no-one available. We'll either have to lump somone that already has a godchild in the family with yet another one, or else look to in-laws or cousins again.

ya the whole thing becomes pretty tired pretty quick, by the time you are on kid 3-4 you are running out of people and if your siblings and cousins are at the same life stage its a real pain.

being a god parent is a bit of a pain in the hole as well, remembering birthdays buying cards, presents etc, its is a full time job as it is, mothers day involved me buying 5 cards and 3 presents, then there's fathers day, valentines day, all the birthdays, Christmas, its never ending.

and its not the money i'd spend every penny i have on the lot of them its the hassle!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

farmchoice wrote: »
    being a god parent is a bit of a pain in the hole as well, remembering birthdays buying cards, presents etc, its is a full time job as it is, mothers day involved me buying 5 cards and 3 presents, then there's fathers day, valentines day, all the birthdays, Christmas, its never ending.

and its not the money i'd spend every penny i have on the lot of them its the hassle!!!!!

You can refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

pwurple wrote: »
    You can refuse.

I refused a few years back on the grounds that an atheist is a bad choice, they brought up the subject with my wife who told them that I wouldn't have any interest and they still bloody asked me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Given that 3 of the 4 godparents we're planning on asking for our yet to be born baby are gay men then this is going to be quite interesting!
    They do view it like that but I don't care. I don't believe in sin either. .........

I am only going ahead with the Christening thing for easier access to school............

Wow, you really are making a mockery of other peoples beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

salmocab wrote: »
    I refused a few years back on the grounds that an atheist is a bad choice, they brought up the subject with my wife who told them that I wouldn't have any interest and they still bloody asked me.

All happy so! They asked, you said no thanks. The system works.

Don't really get why you were annoyed by them asking you directly. I'd be the opposite. if my spouse answered on my behalf, like I was a child, without me making my own decision, i would be miffed.

pwurple wrote: »
    All happy so! They asked, you said no thanks. The system works.

Don't really get why you were annoyed by them asking you directly. I'd be the opposite. if my spouse answered on my behalf, like I was a child, without me making my own decision, i would be miffed.

well I gave a slightly abridged version, they broached the subject with my wife who said she didn't think it was my cup of tea but that she would talk to me, I said i didn't want to do it and she told them that, to which they said sure we will ask him anyway. Which they did and I turned down but it was an awkward and unnecessary moment.

I was recently asked to be godparent for the first time (by a sibling). The message I got included ''his birthday is 20th July, memorise it!' . Under no illusions what's expected of me there!

Thinking now I should have replied with ''What does his birthday have to do with my role in providing spiritual guidance??'

You always think of the good retorts later ;o)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Wow, you really are making a mockery of other peoples beliefs.

And yet it would be a struggle to get my kids into the local school that my taxes go towards paying for it I and other didn't go along with the christening thing.
    Also I refuse to respect the beliefs of anyone who has an issue with someone's sexual orientation.

And yet it would be a struggle to get my kids into the local school that my taxes go towards paying for it I and other didn't go along with the christening thing.
    Also I refuse to respect the beliefs of anyone who has an issue with someone's sexual orientation.

TBF most catholics don't have a problem with peoples sexual orientation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

But yet you're signing your kids up to the church that has those issues. Making promises (however false) to raise those children with such beliefs. Labelling them as a member of a church that holds very strong opinions on certain people's sexual orientation.

Penny D is doing what thousands of people across the country (the majority of irish parents in fact) are also doing it's just she is honest enough to come on here and say it. I don't think she should be attacked for that (and also why does a thread about having 2 female godparents have to descend into the usual catholic school argument blah-de-blah......) there are loads of other threads on boards for that (try the atheist forum). It's been hashed out to death on here so many times before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Penny D is doing what thousands of people across the country (the majority of irish parents in fact) are also doing it's just she is honest enough to come on here and say it. I don't think she should be attacked for that (and also why does a thread about having 2 female godparents have to descend into the usual catholic school argument blah-de-blah......) there are loads of other threads on boards for that (try the atheist forum). It's been hashed out to death on here so many times before.

Because Penny D herself brought it up. It's hardly being attacked.

salmocab wrote: »
    TBF most catholics don't have a problem with peoples sexual orientation.

Yet it was quoted back to me for my making a mockery of other people's beliefs.
    Tasden wrote: »
    But yet you're signing your kids up to the church that has those issues. Making promises (however false) to raise those children with such beliefs. Labelling them as a member of a church that holds very strong opinions on certain people's sexual orientation.

I am. I don't really feel I have a huge amount of choice in it though. I can send my kids to the local educate together school that is over crowded and has gone on record as saying that they're having issues with teaching the curriculum because so much more time has to be given to explaining things more slowly and lessons taking longer because so many of the children that attend have poor or no English. I'm not going to sacrifice my kids education for the sake of making an empty promise or for people being offended at my dojng so. The alternative is to drive to schools further away and I'm not willing to do that either.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Interesting how so many people are willing to make a mockery of the church and when it's pointed out to them, they are suddenly the victims

It seems many people are secretly religious but society has made it uncool to admit.

Interesting how so many people are willing to make a mockery of the church and when it's pointed out to them, they are suddenly the victims

It seems many people are secretly religious but society has made it uncool to admit.

I have no victim complex going on at all. I made my decision and I'm happy with it. I'm sure th Church would really prefer not to be quite so involved in education these days. I think the State should be in charge of education in a secular fashion as should also be the case with healthcare too.
    If people then opt to send their kids to a faith based school for religious reasons then there is no (or less at least) duplicity.

Again, if people are religious I have no issue with that, nor do I see it as cool or uncool. It's their own private business.

Advertisement