Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit consequences for Irish farmers

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

“With Brexit looming, STOCK UP on all your Detergents and Teat Dips to avoid Price Increases! Call Magenta Direct 053 9236256 Text STOP to unsubscribe”

At least magenta are watching out for us.
    Well drinagh co.op have 20% off a lot of detergents and dips, 10% off the rest. I'm mostly complaining when i post, but I like to praise the odd time too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I follow politics alot ( mainly uk/world ) and didn't recognise the name o'Toole but that was really informative Video. Tnks. I could easily share that vid to someone who knows nothing about brexit and it would sure shine a light.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

Was looking at some of the live mart streams yesterday.
    I was amazed to see a selection of quality store cattle at 350kg making well over 1000 euro.

What kind of madness is this with a no deal Brexit looking more and more likely every day now?

Do the majority of farmers out there really understand the consequence of a no deal Brexit are on the whole industry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Are they heading across the border while sterling is still relatively strong and no import tariffs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

dryan wrote: »
    I was amazed to see a selection of quality store cattle at 350kg making well over 1000 euro.

What kind of madness is this with a no deal Brexit looking more and more likely every day now?

Do the majority of farmers out there really understand the consequence of a no deal Brexit are on the whole industry?

Did the majority of farmers ever really understand the consequences of overpaying for stock is another similar question?
    I rang to book in a few weanlins to the mart and yer man on the phone reckons there is good demand for suckler stock and bring what I had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

dryan wrote: »

there not over paying at for quality weanlings at that, it's just they can't get paid for what they turn that calf into in 12 to 15 months time.
    everything could be rosy in the garden with brexit yet so why should we depress the market ourselfs in anticipation? And weanlings in general are back, but not as much as any of us would have thought all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

What is that about Waff. I dont have Facebook so i cant acces it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

mmm tasty.......

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

....anyway, they're gone.

Someone left a jacket. :rolleyes:

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Irish farmer lost a lot of support in the capital after the sh*te they put us through the last few weeks.

zero interest or concern over Irish farmers anymore

theballz wrote: »
    Irish farmer lost a lot of support in the capital after the sh*te they put us through the last few weeks.

zero interest or concern over Irish farmers anymore
    I don't know about that. The government did there bit with support from Phill in Europe. No such support was provided for mushroom growers etc.

The recent protests were an embarrassment. Turning the M50 in to a slow moving parade abusing ordinary people.

If Theresa May had got a soft Brexit through things might have been ok. Now it will be a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Impact already begining to be felt in sheep factories. A mild panic has set in, in ICM. The agent rang looking for lambs offered me 5.70 for thursday. Id say i could have got another 5 cent too. Not allowed or not worth there time economically now to bring in lambs from England to kill in the republic he told me. this means there ploy of buying lambs in Carlisle Mart and driving them to Sraenrar and over to Larne then doen to Navan for killing is gone. This is very good news to Irish sheep farmers. Lambs will be very dear from now to July. Expect good prices from next December as well. The French, Belgian,Dutch and Scandinavian markets have now very little competition for lamb now Britain is out of the market, the British cant compete with Irish sheep exporters. Dont forget were the fourth largest sheepmeat exporter in the world thats crazy stat considering the flock size in NZ and Aus. and also considering we only have 2.5 million ewes half of what we had in 1990.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Impact already begining to be felt in sheep factories. A mild panic has set in, in ICM. The agent rang looking for lambs offered me 5.70 for thursday. Id say i could have got another 5 cent too. Not allowed or not worth there time economically now to bring in lambs from England to kill in the republic he told me. this means there ploy of buying lambs in Carlisle Mart and driving them to Sraenrar and over to Larne then doen to Navan for killing is gone. This is very good news to Irish sheep farmers. Lambs will be very dear from now to July. Expect good prices from next December as well. The French, Belgian,Dutch and Scandinavian markets have now very little competition for lamb now Britain is out of the market, the British cant compete with Irish sheep exporters. Dont forget were the fourth largest sheepmeat exporter in the world thats crazy stat considering the flock size in NZ and Aus. and also considering we only have 2.5 million ewes half of what we had in 1990.

How many of those 1990 ewes were cheque in the post, there for the count in May ewes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I don't know do you mean they were moved around and the same ewes counted a few times?

Dickie10 wrote: »
    I don't know do you mean they were moved around and the same ewes counted a few times?

Yes, and others cleared off hills. Figures don't always show what was happening on the ground at the time.

Advertisement