Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a triathlon watch - what options?

Options
  • 20-02-2016 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

I currently have a Forerunner 110 and it serves me very well for running. It does sometimes fog up when it rains.

I have Velo wireless for the bike which is handy for distance and speed.

I have been thinking of investing in a waterproof multisport watch.

The 310xt is very good value at the moment but is bulky and how would you get the wetsuit off with it on the arm? Is it awkward?

The 910xt is next up but lacks bluetooth.

The 920xt offers the most but is a big price.

I am not sure how much outdoor swimming I will do so thinking an ordinary casio type watch would do. I have seen the 91w? mentioned here but when I checked on amazon reviews said it wasn't waterproof.

My Forerunner 110 would do me fine if it was waterproof.

What have others bought?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Can only comment on the 920 and it's great - have never had a bit of trouble with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

niallo32 wrote: »
    Can only comment on the 920 and it's great - have never had a bit of trouble with it

It is €365 on Amazon. I am not sure I would get value out of it. Also it seems the swim data on these aren't the most accurate. I read some people put the watch head in their swim caps and transfer it to the bike mount and then to the wrist for the run. This probably gives more accurate gps data.

For a recent duathlon I just used my 110 and turned off autolap and I then pressed the lap button for all my transitions.

Would much water leak in under a swim cap if I put the 110 under it?
    I know that isn't an ideal solution.

I guess I wouldn't mind having data (or at least a record of swims done) for indoor pool training too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I have Garmin 500 for bike. A few years old now, 520 is the latest model now.

Fenix 3 for swim and run. Great bit of kit. HR spike problems have been sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

niallo32 wrote: »

Same here, 920s great. If you have the cash then go for the 920 I say.

I had an Ambit2 before that and it was a strong watch too - I only switched to the 920 for new shiny gadget - unfortunately these watches don't make me go faster. Ambit3 if I'm right works on bluetooth vs. ANT+ so it wasn't for me.

Plenty of cheaper 910XTs knocking around now also.

I have looked at reviews for a good few of the watches. Even the top of the range ones have drawbacks and the technology changes so much with other sensors like power meters and cadence being added in. I have no real need for those though.

If I was paying big money I would like the watch to be able to offer navigation for a bike ride and to be able to blutooth uploads to the Garmin Connect app and Strava etc. It would be handy not to have to use the laptop and plugging in the device. It would also be very handy when on holidays and you could rent out a bike and head off without worrying where to go. I think the Fenix 3 offers some navigation but it is more for hiking.

I might just go for a waterproof non gps watch that has lap functions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Dazguy2000

910 is very solid watch... Yes it's expensive but IMHO the best watch out there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

El D has a second hand 910 for sale a little over €220 if I recall. Well worth it at that price IMO. Has a search in recent thread started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I have looked at reviews for a good few of the watches.

I think the Fenix 3 offers some navigation but it is more for hiking.

Maybe you need to check out the reviews of the Fenix 3 and the many features it provides. It offers a bit more than hiking ;).
    Yes it is expensive but it is a superior multi activity device.
    It is an attractive watch which you can wear all the time, the 920 and some others are not really ideal for.

Abhainn wrote: »
    Maybe you need to check out the reviews of the Fenix 3 and the many features it provides. It offers a bit more than hiking ;).
    Yes it is expensive but it is a superior multi activity device.
    It is an attractive watch which you can wear all the time, the 920 and some others are not really ideal for.

I know but the type of navigating I want is turn by turn and return to start for use on a bike when touring or on holidays. The problem with a smaller screen is that you lose out on viewing a map. I guess you can't get everything into one watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

You have to go up to the 810, with Garmin, for a cycling computer for turn by turn with maps. 310 does limited navigation, so I assume the 910 and 920 do too. The multisport computers are all something of a compromise over the sport specific ones, particularly for the features of the top of the range individual sport ones.

I use the "Ant2net" app, with OTG and my ant+ dongle to upload my 310 via my phone. It'll upload to connect, strava, training peaks and a few others, and send you the .fit file.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

920XT owner here also, best watch I've had to date, and I've had pretty much most Garmins. No issues with swimming, both open water and indoor. Only negative for me is its look, cant be used as a daily watch really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

viperlogic wrote: »
    920XT owner here also, best watch I've had to date, and I've had pretty much most Garmins. No issues with swimming, both open water and indoor. Only negative for me is its look, cant be used as a daily watch really.

Agree with this. The 920xt worked fine in my last job. In this one not so much. May even force me to a fenix3hr when they come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Dazguy2000 wrote: »
    910 is very solid watch... Yes it's expensive but IMHO the best watch out there

I have one for sale without the HR strap if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I am not sure how much outdoor swimming I will do so thinking an ordinary casio type watch would do. I have seen the 91w? mentioned here but when I checked on amazon reviews said it wasn't waterproof.

F-91W is a very smart purchase irrespective of whether it becomes your main tri watch or not. For 8.99 you get a completely waterproof, slimline, lightweight watch with lap function and a battery that will literally last years.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    F-91W is a very smart purchase irrespective of whether it becomes your main tri watch or not. For 8.99 you get a completely waterproof, slimline, lightweight watch with lap function and a battery that will literally last years.

Are you sure it is waterproof? Some reviews on Amazon say it isn't. I don't wear a watch daily as I have a nickel allergy so it would only be for activity use.
    How good is the lap function on it? Can it store upto 30 laps and be able to review them?
    I have seen Timex watches on Amazon that do the above for about €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Although the reviews do say it's not waterproof only water resistant I can say I am wearing mine in the pool every week for a couple of years now with no effect on it. You'd have to look up the manual to understand number of laps it supports - have no idea but suspect not as many as 30 no. Bear in mind it costs less than a tenner.

Advertisement