Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

12v battery issues

• 20-02-2016 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭

My wife was talking to a MY14 leafer , and he mentioned multiple issues with the 12v battery going flat and leaving him stranded. He was not a happy camper

Personally I hadn't heard of this being an issue

Anyone hear of problems ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

There are a good few long threads on speakev.com about 12V battery issues, which if someone experiences once seems to be plagued by, while the rest never gets any trouble at all. Sounds to me like some other fault that drains/affects the battery for those affected, rather than battery itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Besides the issues documented on SpeakEV there is also an issue with the 12v battery draining in certain situations where the vehicle is either left idle for over month or left connected to a charger for more than 14 days. In those situations the DC-DC converter doesn't run to charge the 12V battery and the telematics unit just runs the battery down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

cros13 wrote: »
    Besides the issues documented on SpeakEV there is also an issue with the 12v battery draining in certain situations where the vehicle is either left idle for over month or left connected to a charger for more than 14 days. In those situations the DC-DC converter doesn't run to charge the 12V battery and the telematics unit just runs the battery down.

thats not too bad, as both are fairly extreme conditions.

The issue related to me , was a battery dying , while the car was in normal use

I don't think it's common, as cross said, the issue seemed to be more for people who leave the car connected to the EVSE too long.

Afaik, this issue was only with the Gen I.

Certainly no issue with mine.

Well fitting a standard starter battery to a car that draws 200-250w from that battery is a very poor decision

As per gen1 , most seems to be on the MY14 which is gen2

• Advertisement

Where did you read that there is a 250 watt load on the 12 V battery when the car isn't in use ? it does seem excessive.

I think there could have been a couple of reasons for choosing Leaf acid, one was that afaik Lead Acid performs better in extreme cold.

And lead acid batteries are a lot cheaper which is probably the main reason. And if it fails it can be got almost anywhere.

I don't think I'd be worried about it really, from going through forums over the years it's obviously not a common problem, I'd imagine also the Leaf 12V to be a lot stressed because it doesn't have to crank and ICE and or heat glow plugs and crank a Diesel.

Where did you read that there is a 250 watt load on the 12 V battery when the car isn't in use ? it does seem excessive.

I think there could have been a couple of reasons for choosing Leaf acid, one was that afaik Lead Acid performs better in extreme cold.

And lead acid batteries are a lot cheaper which is probably the main reason. And if it fails it can be got almost anywhere.

I don't think I'd be worried about it really, from going through forums over the years it's obviously not a common problem, I'd imagine also the Leaf 12V to be a lot stressed because it doesn't have to crank and ICE and or heat glow plugs and crank a Diesel.

SpeakEV mentioned 200- 250 W, thats far too much for a starter battery as a continuous draw. You need deep cycle lead acid for that type of usage ( beefier plates )

I would imagine if it was a real problem they would have solved it by now.

Advertisement