Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of bug is this

Options
  • 20-02-2016 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Hi There would anyone here know what kind of a bug this is, we found a few walking around the kitchen wall near the back door and I don't know how they are coming in, any help appreciated.

P1010034_zpsfg8jfj4p.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Looks like an, admittedly rather short, millipede.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Storm 10

looksee wrote: »
    Looks like an, admittedly rather short, millipede.

Thanks for that but theses are so tiny they are only a spec on the wall, I have seen Millipedes but I don't think its one

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Baby millipedes? :D It is difficult to see how the legs are on that pic, if there are two pairs to a segment it would likely be a millipede, if there is only one pair it could be a centipede, centipede legs tend to stick out more too. That one
    seems to have a lot of legs, but on the other hand the segments do look a bit more centipede like.

looksee wrote: »
    Baby millipedes? :D It is difficult to see how the legs are on that pic, if there are two pairs to a segment it would likely be a millipede, if there is only one pair it could be a centipede, centipede legs tend to stick out more too. That one
    seems to have a lot of legs, but on the other hand the segments do look a bit more centipede like.

One other thing is that they move very slowly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

It is a millipede and is a member of the Polyxenidae family. They're commonly known as Duff millipedes.
    http://bugguide.net/node/view/97419

• Advertisement

Hotei wrote: »
    It is a millipede and is a member of the Polyxenidae family. They're commonly known as Duff millipedes.
    http://bugguide.net/node/view/97419

Thanks for that info Hotei, I only have seen a few and with the poor weather in the West and drying clothes indoors I presume that's why they are coming in, I sprayed around the back of the house and where I thought they are coming in so hopefully I can get rid of them, any idea how long the live for,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

I read somewhere that some species only reach sexual maturity, i.e. produce eggs, after five years, so it seems they have a long enough life span. If it has been extremely wet or cold where you are, that may be why they've decided to move in with you!

Advertisement