Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Election Poster touching property

• 20-02-2016 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Wondering if someone can help me out with this.

My parents house is on a main Street.....a terraced house.

An election poster has been erected on a pole on the footpath that is at the gable end of the house. Basically the poster is tipping off the wall of their house as it's so low.

Can they do anything about this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Is it causing a problem for them?
    ie: causing shade or making noise in the wind?

They could always call the candidate in question to remove it.

Or just take it down if it is reachable.
    It won't be the end of the world if they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Or just take it down if it is reachable.
    It won't be the end of the world if they did.

That would be interfering with property belonging to someone else. Not the end of the world but not entirely legal either.

Contact the candidate or their party. A quick call or email will sort it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Tear it down ta ****

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

athtrasna wrote: »
    property belonging to someone else.

Paid for with the public purse so we all own it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Paid for with the public purse so we all own it.

I hadn't thought of that. Now excuse me, I'm off to occupy my local Garda station. I may even bring a garda home to tidy up my garden since I own him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It is a rather trivial issue, but while property is a right (the poster) it is one the state on numerous occasions can lessen in importance as it sees fit and must also be placed in the context of other people's rights (as in the right not to have their own property used as locus for advertisement). Simplest is best, and athtrasna's advice seems the most reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Thanks for the replies guys.

Their main issue with it was who the poster for....a candidate with a rather colourful background for a party whos leader has a rather colourful background to say the least.

Anyway problem solved....the poster was gone this morning. Looks like it was taken down last night, our main suspect is the neighbour across the road who previously ran for a different party!

Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭dashdoll

I wouldn't say it's a trivial issue either when an someone who 'was never' a member of the IRA' face is plastered on a poster leaning against your house.

They can put their ****e somewhere else.

Hopefully they will all come down as quick as they went up.

dashdoll wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's a trivial issue either when an someone who 'was never' a member of the IRA' face is plastered on a poster leaning against your house.

They can put their ****e somewhere else.

Hopefully they will all come down as quick as they went up.

I'm no SF lover, but jesus... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I believe there is a bye-law or such somewhere that states they must be hung at a minimum height (so blind people are clattering into them, for example). You reference it was hung very low in your OP.

Advertisement