Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP Cameras, NAS Storage and Push Notifications

Options
  • 20-02-2016 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi All,

Over the past while I've been giving some thought to installing up to four IP cameras at my home - two outside and probably two inside.
    Principal reason is to make available recordings if anything untoward should happen while we are away from the house.

Apart from normal in/out activity there can be some prolonged periods when the house is unoccupied, probably three or four times in a year and frequently up to three or four weeks at a time.

Because that duration can be so long I am assuming that even a large SDCard would not be sufficient and therefore presumably a NAS Storage device is the next most affordable storage solution.

Despite what I said regarding the use of SDCard storage I see no reason to record constantly from the cameras. I would however like to have 'Push' notifications sent; both SMS (through a web system) and Email. While out of the country I can not always connect to email and anyway would not normally have data roaming activated. I would also like to have 'live view' available if necessary.

I do have a PoE router available so that should help somewhat in the installation.

I know this area is laced with major pitfalls for the uninitiated, so I am hoping to capitalise on some of the experienced brains here.

Many thanks for any advice or comments on the above received.

Advertisement