Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

:) big smile

Options
  • 20-02-2016 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

So, I had my benelli and some ammo dropped into courtlough earlier today. I don't have a locker yet...but they took my gear and tagged it and will put it away for me. A friend of mine took a spin to the range with me. There was an auld lad preparing to shoot with a cz swift (I think he said). Lovely rifle. He invited myself and my friend to fire a few rounds and we jumped on the offer. The rifle was brand new. So I fired 8 rounds at 50 metres and it's the first time I ever held, let alone fired a rifle, but it was good fun and it made my day.

score.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Congrats on your first fix. :D

Wait till you get your own and have it set up just as you want it. You'll be putting 5 rounds at a time in the centre circle (bullseye).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Feels good doesn't it.... I'm hitting bulls eyes at 70m 8 out of 10. Always chasing the perfect 10 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Feels good doesn't it.... I'm hitting bulls eyes at 70m 8 out of 10. Always chasing the perfect 10 though.

Yeah, it was good fun. The auld lad was very good to offer us the chance to shoot his rifle. I have nothing to compare to (range wise), but it was sheltered and I reckon with a nice cushion under my ass, I could happily sit there and shoot all day.

Have you a rifle bought or is it just the shotgun?

Have you a rifle bought or is it just the shotgun?

Waiting on ruger 77/22. Seller is unable to drop it to the range, so i'm waiting on license.

I think i'll hit the range in the next week, or two to get my first induction over.

• Advertisement

You seem to have all your bases covered buying a shotgun and a rifle. I know for me a shotgun wasn't an option because of a shoulder injury I'm carrying but I must say I'm more than happy sending a couple of hundred rounds down range from my Cz 455. Just a personal thing but I'm firing subsonics with a suppressor on the rifle. It's more of a comfort thing as I don't need earmuffs. If I'm shooting CCI stingers then anymore than 20 rounds and I will put on my ears. Did you request a suppressor on your license application. Are suppressor so allowed to be used at ranges ?

Did you request a suppressor on your license application. Are suppressor so allowed to be used at ranges ?

The rifle is definitely where I want to be, but I couldn't turn up my nose at trying out shotgun either. I have applied for the suppressor, yes. I will be needing to get the barrel threaded first and then I will get the suppressor sorted (license pending of course). It seems they are certainly allowed, as the the rifle I shot had a suppressor attached. It was quiet and I didn't even notice the recoil tbh.

Eventually, I will add a deer rifle to the collection, most likely a 308 which I had in mind, but was confirmed today after having a chat about it with someone in the know. I did want a gsg 1911 pistol, but i've been turned off them, which is probably just as well, because it was more of a "that looks cool" as opposed to needing one. If I were to go for anything else, I would consider an O/U shotgun. I don't know why, but I like them, alot.

I understand where your coming from with the pistol but I have been told the license side of Things has really tightened up so maybe they are not that easy got anymore. Is the 308 for range shooting or are you going to go down the road of getting a stalking permit. There is quite a bit to this process I believe

I understand where your coming from with the pistol but I have been told the license side of Things has really tightened up so maybe they are not that easy got anymore. Is the 308 for range shooting or are you going to go down the road of getting a stalking permit. There is quite a bit to this process I believe

I reckon I will be a few months in before applying for a deer hunting permit. I think courtlough only allows .22 for targets (though I could be wrong), so it will strictly be a hunting rifle, unless I consider another range for target shooting, which I can't see myself doing at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I understand where your coming from with the pistol but I have been told the license side of Things has really tightened up so maybe they are not that easy got anymore.

It's exactly the same process for getting a .22lr pistol as it is for getting a .22lr rifle. Things haven't changed or been tightened up. The new S.I. near the end of last year actually made things better for us. It's the same process for getting a pistol as it has been for a long time. The only difference is that you need to prove that the magazines can only hold 5 rounds.

• Advertisement

Thanks Battlecorp. I had heard stories of only a certain number of pistols per range etc but like everything else it's probably people repeating stories and adding a little bit here and there. From what I can gather you must be a member of a pistol range and the pistol must be stored at the range. Is that the case or do you have a link to the proper info please. I know I got my .22lr rifle license for pest control around the farm I doubt if they would grant me a pistol licence for the same reason !!!!

AFAIK, they don't allow pistols for hunting, or vermin control. It's strictly target shooting.

Yep that seems to be the case alright. Thanks goz I came across the official guidelines on the Garda website. Did you join courtlough or are you going down the gun club route instead?

Yep that seems to be the case alright. Thanks goz I came across the official guidelines on the Garda website. Did you join courtlough or are you going down the gun club route instead?

Yeah I joined. That's how I managed to get my shotgun stored with them.

Let me know what the set up for rifles is like when your up and running. I might tip up and spend an afternoon shooting with you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Thanks Battlecorp. I had heard stories of only a certain number of pistols per range etc but like everything else it's probably people repeating stories and adding a little bit here and there. From what I can gather you must be a member of a pistol range and the pistol must be stored at the range. Is that the case or do you have a link to the proper info please. I know I got my .22lr rifle license for pest control around the farm I doubt if they would grant me a pistol licence for the same reason !!!!

Yes, you must be a member of a range that caters for pistols. You are only allowed a .22lr pistol for target shooting, absolutely nothing else.

The pistol doesn't have to be stored at the range.

If you are interested in getting a pistol, the best thing to do is go to a range and see what's involved.

And start saving because it's addictive and expensive. :-)

Let me know what the set up for rifles is like when your up and running. I might tip up and spend an afternoon shooting with you

Yeah, I will let you know when I get a proper feel for the place. Company is always welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

goz83 wrote: »
    Yeah, I will let you know when I get a proper feel for the place. Company is always welcome.

Im pretty sure the range in courtlough is now closed to everyone apart from club members

cw67irl wrote: »
    Im pretty sure the range in courtlough is now closed to everyone apart from club members

Members are allowed to bring in one or two people a couple of times a year and sign them in.

Advertisement