Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned house in Killester/Howth Road {IMG Included}

Options
  • 20-02-2016 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Does any body no anything about the abandoned house on the howth road/killester. I see it every time i get the 29A to town, but i don't even know the address or anything about it.

Was it a boom time job gone wrong ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It was to be the site of an apartment complex. It was planned at the height of the boom and had some very smug slogans outside on the fence when they still thought it was going ahead.

The house was a sort of head office for some religious brothers I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,233 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Then there was talk of putting a private maternity hospital on the site... that was the last proposal I'd heard.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

It was sold for €5million last year. Has permission for 18 houses. Development should progress soon.

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/clontarf-development-site-with-full-planning-is-sold-34213801.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Khuitlio wrote: »
    It was sold for €5million last year. Has permission for 18 houses. Development should progress soon.

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/clontarf-development-site-with-full-planning-is-sold-34213801.html

They laid the foundations late last year but then they seem to have abandoned it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No sign of any construction n that site n a long time.

IIRC they had a big press campaign, 104howthroad.ie or something like that.

No current Commencement Notice on it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

They laid the foundations late last year but then they seem to have abandoned it.

The foundations were for perimeter walls and fences.
    kceire wrote: »
    No sign of any construction n that site n a long time.

IIRC they had a big press campaign, 104howthroad.ie or something like that.

No current Commencement Notice on it either.

That's actually a development on the opposite site of the road, think it's only about 3 houses though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

118? I recall it having a fancy website but can't find any traces.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The guy who used to own it now manages a restaurant in Clontarf. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055224198
    Here's the original thread.

Are we ready yet Patrick? (spew)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Wow. I don't know how I missed all that at the time but I'm glad I did.....

• Advertisement

Khuitlio wrote: »

That's actually a development on the opposite site of the road, think it's only about 3 houses though.

Yeah your correct. I actually the inside of those 3 houses on many occasions. No wonder the website stuck in my head.

The OP one had a fancy website too at the time, but can't think of it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

spurious wrote: »
    It was to be the site of an apartment complex. It was planned at the height of the boom and had some very smug slogans outside on the fence when they still thought it was going ahead.

Spurious, you constantly hit the nail on the head! So damn smug, like every apartment complex being built at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

I think this was the one with concierges and possibly even a helicopter pad?? It's been idle for what seems like an eternity though, I pass it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

IIRC Gerry Ryan & Ivor Callelly (& others) had money invested in that development. Crash happened & the development never went ahead.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

If you type in Gerry Ryan Howth Road into YouTube there's a whole half hour of a sales pitch by Gerry Ryan on stage. I think it was made as late as 08\09 when the country had already tanked.

Commencement Notice lodged for this development.
    18 new houses to be started in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

18??

Commencement Notice lodged for this development.
    18 new houses to be started in the coming weeks.

I wonder if any of them will be affordable housing given the prime posh location

bassey wrote: »
    18??

Yes, 18.
    I wonder if any of them will be affordable housing given the prime posh location

I doubt it considering our legislation allows for the developer to make a cash payment in lieu of providing social housing or provide them else where.

• Advertisement

Yes, 18.

I doubt it considering our legislation allows for the developer to make a cash payment in lieu of providing social housing or provide them else where.

That's ridiculous. I'd love a few commoners roughing up Harry Byrnes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Drove past them today. i only got a glimpse, but it doesn't look like many are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

- Private Chef
    - Personal Shopper
    - Chauffeur
    - Laundry Service
    - Personal Trainer
    - Butler
    - Masseuse / Masseur
    - Private Jet / Helicopter Hire

As you do ! :rolleyes:

Drove past them today. i only got a glimpse, but it doesn't look like many are finished.

None finished yet. The developer done all the roads and pavements first before starting the houses. There's a good few very close to completion along the site frontage, surprised you didn't notice these.

Advertisement