Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal Planning / Developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I'm all for an Aldi in Swords, but the Seatown Rd proposal is just madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

I thought so myself,but that whole area will be redeveloped as part of the Swords regeneration project,or so it seem's ,they have a plan to demolish all the houses in the St Columcille's area , and tied in with the castle restoration.
    I think the site is too small and the wrong place for that type of thing, and does Sword's need another supermarket,I know we need home's for people to live in urgently,but another supermarket for the sake of it ,and because for some wierd business reason where ever there's a Lidl ,there has to be an Aldi.
    I think I'd prefer homes for families to live in to be honest.

This week's planning applications from around the county ...nothing spectacular to report from what I can see .....https://www.mapalerter.com/latest/planning/item/fingal-county-council-planning-alert-03-05-2016-10574

I see a big article in this week's Fingal Independent on Balbriggan Rugby Club and the welcome news of a €500,000 sports capital grant to develop a new clubhouse and grounds improvement's.
    The club has dropped the idea of trying to co-locate a swimming pool for public use on the grounds as part of the development.
    The club have recently applied for planning permission for a club house which will have 6 changing rooms.
    A large number of other projects that have to be undertaken on the site. These include; the installation of an additional all-weather grass pitch for our youth teams, levelling and grassing the rest of the site which will enable more clubs to use the facility and completion of the driveway and parking areas.
    Great news for the club and Balbriggan in general,good news all round for a change.

Full Story ... http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/huge-grant-for-rugby-clubhouse-34677225.html

This week's planning app's for the Fingal area ... https://www.mapalerter.com/latest/planning/item/fingal-county-council-planning-alert-19-05-2016-10727

At a glance , 31 - 4 and 2 bed homes to be built opposite the Credit union in Donabate Village http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayURL?theApnID=F15A/0551 ,
    and 17 new houses on lands known as 'Whitegables', Adjacent to Lissadel Wood, Swords Road, Malahide, Co. Dublin http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayURL?theApnID=F16A/0119 .

Nothing else of great news to report.

• Advertisement

The new Maxol service station has opened on the Hearse Rd in Donabate and has created 25 new full and part-time jobs.
    It has a Maxol Mace convenience store, Bewley's barista bar and a brand new 'Moreish' fresh food café.
    Its has 2 storeys and cost 2 million to build.

https://www.maxol.ie/press-releases/entry/new-look-maxol-station-in-donabate-to-create-25-jobs

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/new-2m-maxol-service-station-in-donabate-officially-opens-34718563.html

The long running saga of the Rush sewerage project 'remains priority' for IW and Fingal County Council so say's the latest article on this sad drawn out epic.
    From what I read of the article ,it may as well been written last year, not one iota has changed,even the ''spiel'' and talk is the same,at the rate its going people will be living on Mar's before they get this project done.
    Maybe those concerned should be forced to have their meetings adjacent to the effluent outflow pipes to focus their attention on the project.
    I wonder if the town was Malahide ,and the effluent was being discharged at the Marina Village instead of Rush ,the scheme would have been completed before it was even planned,it seem's as always Rush is like the lost waif of Fingal in the eye's of Fingal County Council.

Full story here in this week's Fingal Independent
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/rush-sewerage-project-remains-priority-for-iw-34719170.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There'a a supervised walk on Baleally Dump on Saturday 28th May at 10am.

Need to book
    ring Ger Byrne at 018905936 or ger.byrne@fingal.ie

Details published on Fingal co co twitter feed.

Originally posted by Carawaystick = There'a a supervised walk on Baleally Dump on Saturday 28th May at 10am.

Need to book
    ring Ger Byrne at 018905936 or ger.byrne@fingal.ie

Details published on Fingal co co twitter feed.
    This is good news,thanks to Carawaystick for the info, I think the Baleally project could be really fantastic when completed , especially with the board walk and the cycleway set to go from Malahide to Sutton across Malahide Estuary. The development is known as the Broadmeadow Way and will provide a pedestrian and cycle way between Malahide and Sutton and taking in lovely Baldoyle as well.
    Theirs an article in this week's North county leader on the project saying their has been a positive move on that additional scheme. http://www.northcountyleader.ie/2016/05/24/progress-on-malahide-cycleway/

They need to figure out how to get access from Lusk. They'll need to acquire some land to make a route down to Baleally for walking/cycling access. and rebuild the road from South Shore Rush over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

There is a new Thai restaurant/takeway (PokPok) opened on 14 Main Street, Swords. (part of the former Taylor's Hardware building)
    It is close to Empire.

The only real option from Lusk is down Rogerstown Lane, seeing that they never provided for a cycle lane etc when they did all the work on Baleally Lane a few years back.
    I'm not a cyclist,but anyone trying to cycle between Blake's Cross and Lusk,especially during Rush hour need's giving a medal for bravery.
    But I'm sure these obstacles can be over come,looking at the map .. https://www.google.com/maps/place/53%C2%B031'27.8%22N+6%C2%B009'52.9%22W/@53.513517,-6.1485173,1555m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d53.5243889!4d-6.1646944?hl=en , was their a bit of a road there back in the day?.
    I read about a project taking in the South shore Rd route to Baleally some where,but can't for the life of me remember - where.
    It will be a great addition to both the cycling and pedestrian fraternities and as a tourist asset as well.
    As I type, I see the Blue Flag Beach's awarded and no surprise ..Portrane has lost out,actually I don't think F.C.C even bothered to enter it.
    Leaving only 2 beach's in Fingal with Blue Flag's ,them being Portmarnock and Balcarrick,Donabate,that's if I'm reading the results correctly .. I'm sad to say I don't think I am ... http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/blue-flag-awards-see-if-your-local-beach-is-one-of-the-four-to-lose-its-status-737204.html

Taylor's Hardware
    That's a blast from the past,used to be a great shop,often mooched around in there ,while waiting for the 33 in the old day's,glad to hear it's creating employment again and brightening up that end of Main Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

dslamjack wrote: »
    The only real option from Lusk is down Rogerstown Lane, seeing that they never provided for a cycle lane etc when they did all the work on Baleally Lane a few years back.
    I'm not a cyclist,but anyone trying to cycle between Blake's Cross and Lusk,especially during Rush hour need's giving a medal for bravery.
    But I'm sure these obstacles can be over come,looking at the map .. https://www.google.com/maps/place/53%C2%B031'27.8%22N+6%C2%B009'52.9%22W/@53.513517,-6.1485173,1555m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d53.5243889!4d-6.1646944?hl=en , was their a bit of a road there back in the day?.
    I read about a project taking in the South shore Rd route to Baleally some where,but can't for the life of me remember - where.
    It will be a great addition to both the cycling and pedestrian fraternities and as a tourist asset as well.
    As I type, I see the Blue Flag Beach's awarded and no surprise ..Portrane has lost out,actually I don't think F.C.C even bothered to enter it.
    Leaving only 2 beach's in Fingal with Blue Flag's ,them being Portmarnock and Balcarrick,Donabate,that's if I'm reading the results correctly .. I'm sad to say I don't think I am ... http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/blue-flag-awards-see-if-your-local-beach-is-one-of-the-four-to-lose-its-status-737204.html

The Broadmeadow Way was only from Malahide Castle to Newbridge House. Which is planned but waiting adoption by FCC. They even have the Bridge Supports in on the Broadmeadows Estuary already.

This sounds like they're beginning assessment from Sutton to Malahide. Which is not part of the Broadmeadow way but the much longer Fingal Way. (or Coast and Castle way)

Terrible Journalism too, no such place as Malahide Estuary.

I'm thinking of a new route, just one side of a ditch.
    What's the name of the road from just south of the ring road roundabout heading east? It looks like there's a double ditch from where the road peters out, maybe there was a track here before?
    Or else head from where the septic tanks were on the ring road.
    The thing with using Rogerstown lane is that it will be busy with cars driving from Rush and Lusk.
    It's not too bad, we're easier passed than a tractor...

was their a bit of a road there back in the day?.
    It's in the development plan as an aspiration...

A lot of activity in housing developments around in this week's planning applications to F.C.C from Bremore in Balbriggan to Baldolye and beyond , too many to list individually.

Full list of applications here ... https://www.mapalerter.com/latest/planning/item/fingal-county-council-planning-alert-27-05-2016-10790

It's in the development plan as an aspiration ...
    Thank's Carawaystick, that's where I had seen it ... love that word aspiration ... hopefully this does not mean it will never be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Can I ask what the large development is that's currently under construction near to the Millfield shopping centre in Balbriggan?

http://fusion.fingalcoco.ie/LocalView/Sites/Planning/?layers=layer3:1&identifyitem=layer2:2:PLANNING_REFERENCE:%27F15A/0456%27

Kintarō I posted the link above ,that shows all the individual site's that have received or are seeking permission.
    If you scroll the map up to the Balbriggan and Millfield site and click on the site, a box will open with all the relevant planning information .. hth's

Can I ask what the large development is that's currently under construction near to the Millfield shopping centre in Balbriggan?

Its the Glor na Mara Secondary School. Across the R122 from the Other new Secondary School.

• Advertisement

I see a grave and headstone have been uncovered on the Aldi site on the Seatown Rd,they have it cordoned off till excavations can be done I presume.
    Can see it now,just like that movie porterguice ,, ye'll be in doing the shopping in the fruit n veg section and a coffin will pop up out of the floor ... it's the heat ... http://www.northcountyleader.ie/2016/05/31/headstone-discovered-at-aldi-site/

I see a grave and headstone have been uncovered on the Aldi site on the Seatown Rd,they have it cordoned off till excavations can be done I presume.
    Can see it now,just like that movie porterguice ,, ye'll be in doing the shopping in the fruit n veg section and a coffin will pop up out of the floor ... it's the heat ... http://www.northcountyleader.ie/2016/05/31/headstone-discovered-at-aldi-site/
    When I went to the talk and tour of the parochial house (2 years ago) it was mentioned that there was a marker found on the site; there was no mention of a grave.

Bernadette Marks gave an excellent talk on the history of the parochial house and adjoining site for the open night; the house has been refurbished. The house is still called the parochial house (a protected structure) but the parish priest does not live there; the parish office is based there now and various groups hold meetings in the house.

Fingal Co. Council refused planning on part of the site for a Mens Shed; the parochial hse (a landmark building) was a factor in the decision. It seemed strange to grant planning to Aldi and refuse planning for a Mens Shed.

There was an outcry from councillors and negative articles in the local papers. A new planning application was lodged with amendments and planning permission was granted.

Originally posted by mickmmc --- Co. Council refused planning on part of the site for a Mens Shed; the parochial hse (a landmark building) was a factor in the decision. It seemed strange to grant planning to Aldi and refuse planning for a Mens Shed.
    .. I have to agree .. very strange decision indeed ,I still cannot fathom the logic ,especially when the demolition of the houses commence's and a huge new development is planted slap bang in the centre of a very congested area to begin with.
    I'm assuming the land that Aldi is now being built on ,belonged to the Parish , so the money will be reinvested in the Parish in the medium/long term.
    I'm delighted the house is being put to good use , so many beautiful old house's like this have been lost in the past,in the name of ''progress''.

Yes the St. Colmcille's Parish sold the site to a developer subject to planning and then the developer sold part of the site to Aldi after planning was granted.

The land behind the parochial house has been retained by the developer and a Community building (Mens shed???) is to be built there.

Archbishop Martin is opening the new pastoral centre in Brackenstown on Sunday, which cost over €400,000 to build. Last Sunday Archbishop Martin opened the new parish centre in Yellow Walls Parish, Malahide.

There will be no land left to develop the parochial house in Swords for community use in the future. That was the issue the conservation officer of FCC was highlighting.

The proposed access to the community building ( Mens Shed???) is through the Aldi car park. How is that going to work out?

mickmmc wrote: »

The proposed access to the community building ( Mens Shed???) is through the Aldi car park. How is that going to work out?

It's not impossible, the library is accessed through JC's carpark.

The long running saga of the Rush sewerage project 'remains priority' for IW and Fingal County Council so say's the latest article on this sad drawn out epic.
    From what I read of the article ,it may as well been written last year, not one iota has changed,even the ''spiel'' and talk is the same,at the rate its going people will be living on Mar's before they get this project done.
    Maybe those concerned should be forced to have their meetings adjacent to the effluent outflow pipes to focus their attention on the project.
    I wonder if the town was Malahide ,and the effluent was being discharged at the Marina Village instead of Rush ,the scheme would have been completed before it was even planned,it seem's as always Rush is like the lost waif of Fingal in the eye's of Fingal County Council.

Full story here in this week's Fingal Independent
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/...-34719170.html

I see on the 9 0'Clock News -- That all North County Dublin Beaches have been closed for 72 hours because of a MAJOR Sewage leak --- say nothing more --- Disgraceful in this day and age.

The Consultation Documents for the Extinguising of Rights of Way relating to the North Runway in Dublin Airport are on the Fingal planning site now...

http://fingal.ie/planning-and-buildings/development-plans-and-consultations/public-consultations/currentconsultations/extinguishmentofrightsofway/

I see on the 9 0'Clock News -- That all North County Dublin Beaches have been closed for 72 hours because of a MAJOR Sewage leak --- say nothing more --- Disgraceful in this day and age.

There was no warning signage at the Captains or the Springers or Ardgillan beach over the weekend.
    Apparently they only warn where there are lifeguards, so a quarter of south beach in Skerries had warnings.

It's outrageous after the last leak in Balbriggan a few years ago

Well by all accounts what was being washed up does not bear thinking about,and I've been thinking you compare a major project like ''Eirgrid'' with the fiasco that the Portrane waste water treatment has become,at least when the''Eirgrid'' project was started it was finished ,just like the modular housing,what is it with these over paid incompetent sap's that they can't start a project without it taking a generation or two to complete.
    If we're waiting on the same crowd to provide social housing,frogs will be doing algebra and Sky will be doing ad free channel's,and the members of the Dail will give back their wages and pension's for claiming money under false pretences before a single house is built,and even then it will take a lotto win to own one.
    Maybe we need an elected Lord Mayor or County Manager with the ability to hire n fire at will, like a D Trump or Micheal O' Leary on steroid's to get these things done.
    Either way the day trippers and tourist's that crawled the medieval road system to get too ,our beautiful beach's must have been disgusted at what was been washed up.
    I've all ready contacted our local Lusk councillor this morning,apart from any thing else it destroy's all the hard work and effort put in by all the local volunteers and business's, that try their best to keep our county clean and tidy --- its just not acceptable in this day and age for anybody to pollute the environment ,let alone a local government authority that has sat on it's back side,while the EPA looks the other way.
    If it were a farmer or trawler or business responsible for such mass pollution, the full weight of the law and financial penalties would be brought to bear,but because its a local authority it can pollute at will and indefinitely .. I'll be contacting a few other rep's as well ,for all's it's worth,at least you can say you did.

Fingal FB Page ,,,, https://www.facebook.com/fingalcoco/

• Advertisement

It's not impossible, the library is accessed through JC's carpark.
    JCs own the library; Fingal County Council only rent the library premises. There is only one owner of the car park and library.

With Mens Shed, the access will be through a different owner's land, Aldi. From FCC website, there has been a right away granted through the Aldi car park. It may work out.

It has been confirmed in this week's North County Leader that a Men's Shed will be built on the part of the land retained by the developer.

Advertisement