Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connemara adventure race

Options
  • 20-02-2016 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭

Hi all. My wife and i have entered this race in May to try and get a start on adventure racing with a view to maybe entering the gaelforce west later in the year. The question i have though is to do with bike choice. I read that 8km of the bike section is based on "forestry tracks" . Does this mean that road/race bikes are out of the question? We currently own 2 racers but if they are simply not good enough for the day we will have to source 2 hybrids to compete. Thanks for any info...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

havent done the race but from looking into it before they dont reccomend road bikes for this race .. there is bike hire in westport if thats any good to you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Being two years since I've done this race. At the time I'd the luxury of picking road or MTB, went with the MTB and will do so again this year.

You could still do the bike section on a roadie but if raining etc you could easily stall in the mud.

Book into the adventure centre for the weekend. So you're at the centre of everything and hopefully you can still BYO to the party that night.

Tis a great race, not too short or long, great intro to adventure racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Thanks for all your replies folks. Still undecided but kinda leaning towards getting hybrids for the day. ...pity cos our road bikes weren't cheap! !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

pity cos our road bikes weren't cheap! !!

All the more reason not to use them. I'd suggest contacting Moycullen Bike Works about hire of a pair of mountain bikes for the weekend. Get out on them for the spin the day before just to get used to the gearing and suspension.

Well worth the hire money to avoid damaging your good bikes.

Advertisement