Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Marathon, 12th March

• 20-02-2016 6:34pm

Anyone else doing it?

Did 35km of the route in wet and windy conditions today. Nice, fast out to Ardfert, then we faced into a strong wind around Barrow and Churchill. Hill up to Barrow is interesting. Some lovely scenery running along the coast on way back in, though today involved a lot of head down to keep the hat on!

Think there are 3.30 pacers so will stick with them and let them do the work. Doesn't seem like a place for a PB so anything under 3.30 will be grand.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Yup I'll be giving it a go, I read that it's back to the old route this year which I actually preferred even with that tasty treat at Barrow Hill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I'm doing it as well and I was a bit surprised by the sudden announcement of the route reverting back to the old one.

I never saw the point of running up Barrow hill only to turn around and run down again to be honest.

I thought last year that they had finally found a good route and was sorry to see it change again.

Barrow is an unusual one alright. As most of my running is on mountains, can't claim it is too hard but might upset some of those used to flatter roads. And it's like they go out of their way to take it in, it being on an out and back spur in the route.

I'm doing it as well and I was a bit surprised by the sudden announcement of the route reverting back to the old one...

You pacing it or running it?

You've placed high in it before, didn't you win a category?

Actually, I see a top 10 in '13, a category win, a category win in '14...so looks like a happy hunting ground for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Did this in 2013 (which was the first year of it I believe) myself. It's a tough enough course I think, that Barrow bit is a bit of an oddity alright, it's almost like as if they added that in as a 'Hell of the West' talking point type thing. Perfect conditions that year which helped and a decent enough event overall. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Killerz wrote:
    Did this in 2013 (which was the first year of it I believe) myself. It's a tough enough course I think, that Barrow bit is a bit of an oddity alright, it's almost like as if they added that in as a 'Hell of the West' talking point type thing. Perfect conditions that year which helped and a decent enough event overall. Best of luck with it.

Barrow Hill is wayyyy tougher, particularly on the way down!

I was going to run the new course as a steady long run but now won't. Still a very scenic course and well worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Hilden

I'm running it too. Trainings gone to sh1t though. I wasn't intending on an astronomical PB but was hoping to better my Cork time last year. On a clear day do you think its possible? I definitely wasn't expecting to make it on the newer 2016 route as some of the drags were very long. Really looking forward to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

I'm doing it as well and I was a bit surprised by the sudden announcement of the route reverting back to the old one.

I never saw the point of running up Barrow hill only to turn around and run down again to be honest.

I thought last year that they had finally found a good route and was sorry to see it change again.

Thank God it's going back to the old route - the proposed new route was horrible. Whatever about the hills, the old route has great scenery around Tralee Bay. The proposed new route just went up the mountains, and took in only one street in Tralee (just before the finish).

Feeling smug also, because I did last year's marathon when the route bypassed Barrow :) Doing the half this year: just the one tasty climb in the middle.

Thank God it's going back to the old route - the proposed new route was horrible.

Well, I got a bit of a shock when I saw the proposed new route and immediately dropped my plans to try for a new PB but it would have made for a good training run :)

I never liked Barrow hill and could have done without a return. Maybe that's just me as the FB comments seem surprisingly enthusiastic.

• Advertisement

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow, weather gods look like they'll be kind again. The weather has always been my only concern for Tralee as it could be brutal if there was a storm coming in from the Atlantic!

35ix94g.jpg

I've got another one. Wind will be noticeable but manageable.
    They differ quite a bit with regards to temperature, though!

2qntlj7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

The organisation for this year's event has gone a little downhill since last year. No bag drop for runners this year, plus the event website has the wrong location for the bib collection today (it's at Fels Point, not the Brandon).

Added to the complete change of routes just 4 weeks before the event, and the steep entry price (50 euro for the half marathon), it doesn't give a great impression of the planning.

UPDATE: Tralee Marathon subsequently tweeted me to say there WILL be a bag drop at Fels Point. At the bib collection today the people at the race desk had insisted there was no bag drop for the race at all.

I can't see on the site if another person can collect the bib - won't be there until about 8.30 am.

Furthermore, pretty sure I saw something about pacers...they will have pacers, will they?

I can't see on the site if another person can collect the bib - won't be there until about 8.30 am.

From http://www.traleemarathon.com/find-out-more.html
    SATURDAY, MARCH 12
    • Bib Pick Up – 7am to 8.30am
    at the Fels Point Hotel
    Furthermore, pretty sure I saw something about pacers...they will have pacers, will they?

yes there will be pacers, from 3:15 to 5:00

Crash and burn...

3.33.50something. Not a wipeout but was hoping to go at least 10 mins faster, had run most of the route much faster in training. Ach, you live and learn, went out too fast, suffered from Fenit on. Just so different to mountain running where the last third of the race might be a sufferfest...but at least it's usually downhill anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

tfb and jscmum both finished 4th in male and female races and picked up age catogery prizes today.

ger664 wrote: »
    tfb and jscmum both finished 4th in male and female races and picked up age catogery prizes today.

It was one of my better days :) (and jcsmum's as well, I guess :))

Great run, congrats on the result! Your weather forecasters certainly beat my Norwegian ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Poncho1964

Congrats on the 75th marathon medal Thomas. Great stuff

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Rowdy Roddy

Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Hi all

Just wondering how you felt this course compared to the DCM course? Thinking of going down to it but not fully committed yet.

Thanks

It's a new route for '17 so no idea I'm afraid, the previous one had a nice tasty hill around the 17k mark and then a few other climbs along the way.
    Race director Martin O’Sullivan of Tralee Harriers has created a new marathon route for 2017 that is sure to be of interest to experienced runners and newcomers alike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Route for marathon can be found here

Barrow hill is gone from it thankfully. Not a flat course by any means, but a lot of the climbs are more like slow burners.

Ones to note

Miles 5 to 8 - Steady climb out of Tralee towards Ardfert, nothing steep there but goes on for a while.

Miles 14 to 15.5 - Banna to Ardfert. Again not too steep but can be a leg sapper if the wind is against. Very isolated out around Banna there for the wind to be blowing at strength.

Miles 18.5 to 20 - Churchill and beyond. The double climb here is the first of the tougher climbs on the route. Once you reach Churchill, you go on to the new part of the route for this year. Goes downhill for a while but quickly back up hill again. One to watchout for and take your time on

Miles 23.5 to 24.25 - 3/4's of a mile with a final steep enough uphill. At this point in the race, you could see a lot walking this hill. If you can force your way up it, there is a nice downhill and flat finish afterwards.

I'll be pacing the 3:45 train again this year, so if any of ye fancy jumping on board, you're more than welcome.

Is it still the same route as above as I saw this post on the facebook page earlier when I was checking to see what I needed to do that morning. Strange I haven't had any contact from them since I entered and the race is less than a week away :confused:
    This is half & full Route if your doing the full you'll loop it, the marathon full & half 9.30 5k & 10k 10 on march 18th. Register here http://www.traleemarathon.com/

opus wrote: »
    Is it still the same route as above as I saw this post on the facebook page earlier when I was checking to see what I needed to do that morning. Strange I haven't had any contact from them since I entered and the race is less than a week away :confused:

No they changed it about 3 weeks ago. Now its a 2 loop course.
    Overall its a flatter course, there's only 1 major hill that you need to tackle twice, so if the weather permits, it should be fast enough.
    As for updates, it looks like any info is getting posted on Facebook. I've no idea if they have any intention of sending out info.
    Whats your plan for the day Opus? You dropping the hammer?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Overall its a flatter course, there's only 1 major hill that you need to tackle twice, so if the weather permits, it should be fast enough.
    As for updates, it looks like any info is getting posted on Facebook. I've no idea if they have any intention of sending out info.

Hi chavez

Are there many pacers in this one? I know you said that you're doing 3:45. Thanks

Hi chavez

Are there many pacers in this one? I know you said that you're doing 3:45. Thanks

From what I can gather for the full theres 3:15, 3:30, 3:45, 4:00, 4:15, 4:30, 5:00, 5:15, 5:30?

Thanks for the update, I'm a bit allergic to Facebook so wasn't looking there. Not a huge fan of loops but will survive.

It's a training run for Comrades for me so I'll be joining one of the pacing posses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

opus wrote: »
    Not a huge fan of loops but will survive.

Dont do an extra one this time :)

Advertisement