Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I am 6 1 and i rejected this crafter the test drive because of this issue, even in the front

OK I'm 6.1 also. Is the drivers seat just cramped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

OK I'm 6.1 also. Is the drivers seat just cramped?

I'm the same height. I've a SE model, so electric driver seat, which is height adjustable (assume manual seats have same?) I've never noticed head room issue of any sort. I've not ever sit in the back though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Six footer here. I have the driver seat about halfway up, no problems with headroom. I've tried the back seats and haven't noticed a shortage of headroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have no issues with headroom. 5'11 myself but have had taller front and rear passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

I am 6 1 and i rejected this car after the test drive because of this issue, even in the front

I'm 6ft 5 (unkel can attest to this) and the headspace is fine, not a problem in the front, and I've not noticed a problem in the back the 4 maybe 5 times I've been in there with the kids, it's more the width with two booster seats that it's right for a third person, no hope of 3 booster seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm a bit under 6'2 and have plenty of head space. Maybe Calahonda52 tried one with a sunroof? You'd easily lose an inch with a sunroof fitted in most cars.

I also have enough legroom to "sit behind myself" which I barely had in the biggest car I've owned, a BMW 7-series. Because of the aerodynamics, headroom in the back is limited. If you need to transport people of well over 6' who like to sit straight up in the back over long distances regularly, you might think again about buying Ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Doing our first trip from Dublin to Cork on Saturday. Can the experts here suggest me the best route please? Thinking to return the same day, late night. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

peaceboi wrote: »
    Doing our first trip from Dublin to Cork on Saturday. Can the experts here suggest me the best route please? Thinking to return the same day, late night. thanks

I've done the trip a good few times. Ballacolla, J3/M8 is my preferred stop but I see it's down at the moment. You'll probably make Cashel from Dublin but you might not have much left in reserve. Urlingford is roughly half way so that would be a good option but I've never stopped there. Also the petrol station closes at 10pm or something so don't rely on it if you are returning late.

One thing I find is the section between Cork and Cashel can be hard on % due to the elevation so maybe keep that in mind.

Depending on where you're going in the city you'll have Rochestown or Blackpool to choose from. The FCP in Blackpool is only a few weeks old. Rochestown is fairly reliable but has had periods of downtime.

On the return I'd probably aim for Urlingford(before 10pm) seeing as Ballacolla is down. I've done Cork to Portlaoise at 110km/h last year at temps of 20c with about 40km remaining so you could chance that too.

Dublin to cashel, cashel to cork. If you cannot destination charge in cork then top up in rochestown, the elevation change after cashel is quite severe.
    Urlingford is a few km off the motorway and is not the best location IMO. Cashel is a service station 24hr and well served.

Dublin city centre to Cashel is 162km, should be no problem at all, even at 125km/h indicated (120km/h real speed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 colmkirk

Folks, I took a test drive in a Ioniq Electric today, do you find there is much tyre noise when driving it, Also do you find it comfortable over our delapitared Irish roads?

Yes there is very noticeable tyre noise. But that's mainly because there is no engine noise to cover it up :)

The tyres are not the best. They might be efficient, but the grip leaves a lot to be desired unless the roads are bone dry. I'll get different tyres when the time comes to change them

Ioniq is great on bad back roads. It's a softly enough suspension setup yet the car is heavy and has a very low centre of gravity. I wouldn't say it is as good as a Citroen with hydropneumatic suspension, but it is not a million miles away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

colmkirk wrote: »
    Folks, I took a test drive in a Ioniq Electric today, do you find there is much tyre noise when driving it, Also do you find it comfortable over our delapitared Irish roads?

It might not be tyre noise, it is wind noise or the noise of the air passing the car.....

I actually find it soothing....

I find it relaxing, get out of electric and then hop into diesel/petrol and it is soooo loud compared to it....

ELM327 wrote: »
    Compared with Unkel's response I get different figures. Perhaps it's because I drive in eco mode.

City - 250km
    Motorway at 120km/h (GPS speed) - 170-200km (Depends on elevation changes and use of heater/AC)
    Motorway at 100km/h (GPS speed) - 200-220km

Those figures are pretty much identical to mine :)

My city figure high end is in warm weather with very smooth driving and a light foot. And I would be very surprised is someone actually got the full 200km at 120km/h GPS speed even without cruise control, without AC on zero elevation. I don't think it can quite do that.

Well it's happened..... At fcp, leaf got there ahead of me and is now charging at 23kWh..... For god knows how long....

UPDATE: Leaf left, charger stopped worked, remote reboot did no good...
    Charger now out of action

So now at einfield waiting for return of owners of abondoned ioniq that was charging at less than 10 and has now stopped completely........ffs

Dublin to cashel, cashel to cork. If you cannot destination charge in cork then top up in rochestown, the elevation change after cashel is quite severe.
    Urlingford is a few km off the motorway and is not the best location IMO. Cashel is a service station 24hr and well served.

Reached Cashel fcp at 9% remaining, started journey at 100% from D15. 2 adults and 3 kids. Was travelling at 127km/hr adaptive cruise, mostly, so 123km/hr real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Well it's happened..... At fcp, leaf got there ahead of me and is now charging at 23kWh..... For god knows how long....

UPDATE: Leaf left, charger stopped worked, remote reboot did no good...
    Charger now out of action

So now at einfield waiting for return of owners of abondoned ioniq that was charging at less than 10 and has now stopped completely........ffs

Was that Enfield? How did you get on after?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Reached Cashel fcp at 9% remaining, started journey at 100% from D15. 2 adults and 3 kids. Was travelling at 127km/hr adaptive cruise, mostly, so 123km/hr real world.

After some horrors with the charging infrastructure I'd have gone slower by 10km to ensure i'd had a fall back. 9% isn't getting you much further if that charger was kaput.

Was that Enfield? How did you get on after?

I waited a while longer and then sent the kids in to get food and take it back out to the car. At this point the other car was no longer charging (charger was showing 0kWh output and their session on the charger was expired)... so I took out the cable and plugged it into my own car. I ete 1/2 my burger, then kids complained that there was fu(king ketchup on their burgers although they asked for none. So I went to swap, was gone for 7 minutes and when I got out they other ioniq was gone....

• Advertisement

Good going. I guess ELM427 was more on the ball than me and that, in summer in Ioniq without using adaptive cruise and with sensitive driving you might indeed get very close to 200km range doing 125km/h indicated (120km/h real speed)

Not sure I understand. Ioniq never does "less than 10" if you mean 10kW. Even at 90% it still does at least 20kW. And also as soon as Ioniq stops charging at an FCP (at 94%), the cable disconnects and you can connect it to your car and charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 colmkirk

At the FCP how many miles would you get out of a full charge in the ioniq?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In fairness Colum, that is, how long is a piece of string, question.
    Depends on weather, driver, load, route etc. Read Peacboi's post.

One thing I find is the section between Cork and Cashel can be hard on % due to the elevation so maybe keep that in mind.

Very true, used 60% of battery to reach Cork city from Cashel, the elevation takes good strain on the battery, also using adaptive cruise at 124km/ doesn't help at all 😌

Very true, used 60% of battery to reach Cork city from Cashel, the elevation takes good strain on the battery, also using adaptive cruise at 124km/ doesn't help at all 😌

Has anyone here used the fcp at maxol Gorey recently? No any updates after February 25th on plugshare🀔
    Looking to do Dublin to Wexford & back tomorrow, and won't be using adaptive cruise 😌😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

peaceboi wrote:
    Has anyone here used the fcp at maxol Gorey recently? No any updates after February 25th on plugshare🀆Looking to do Dublin to Wexford & back tomorrow, and won't be using adaptive cruise 😌😀

Used it month ago, chademo was out of order CCS fine

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

Has anyone here used the fcp at maxol Gorey recently? No any updates after February 25th on plugshare🀔
    Looking to do Dublin to Wexford & back tomorrow, and won't be using adaptive cruise 😌😀

I tried to use the CCS a few weeks ago but it wouldn't work. I had to call eCars support. The guy tried to start the charging remotely 3-4 times but it just wouldn't connect.

Maybe top up at Coynes Cross just to be on the safe side. Alternatively, if you're going to be in Wexford for a while, there are a good few 4hr chargers around the town.

Coynes cross is a very reliable unit, you can get from there to wexford and back again in an Ioniq
    The bay markings are terrible though, you can only be in the left bay.

Coynes cross is a very reliable unit, you can get from there to wexford and back again in an Ioniq
    The bay markings are terrible though, you can only be in the left bay.

Yes, I've often had to do some extreme parking there too get the charging cable into my car.

Is it possible to get some kind of extension lead for the Ioniq? The bad location of the charger port is one of the downsides of the Ioniq. A very small downside considering that it is such an awesome car.

I was on track to get 250km out of a full charge during last week. I was on holiday so I had no motorway commute.

woppers wrote: »
    Yes, I've often had to do some extreme parking there too get the charging cable into my car.

Is it possible to get some kind of extension lead for the Ioniq? The bad location of the charger port is one of the downsides of the Ioniq. A very small downside considering that it is such an awesome car.

I was on track to get 250km out of a full charge during last week. I was on holiday so I had no motorway commute.
    I have a type2 AC extender for "icebreaking"
    I've looked online repeatedly and often for a CCS extender.
    Even the reliable chinese shops where you can get other strange things (like 43kW AC to DC converters!) they have CCS1 to CCS2 and vice versa but no CCS2 to CCS2. I'd pay many pounds for a CCS2 extender cable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Not sure if you meant fast charging or slow charging cable extender. If it was for the slow charging, Unkel got a custom made 15m long one. I got a 10m stock one for my Ls...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

..."icebreaking"...

LOL, never heard that term. :D

Did try doing that on a recent trip to Dublin, but the cable was practically pulled taut, and an extension lead would have been great.

unkel wrote: »
    Not sure I understand. Ioniq never does "less than 10" if you mean 10kW. Even at 90% it still does at least 20kW. And also as soon as Ioniq stops charging at an FCP (at 94%), the cable disconnects and you can connect it to your car and charge.

Sorry for late response.....
    When I got there output was 12kW and dropping....., I say it go as low at 11.x kW before goign back to my kids
    less than 5 minutes later it disconnected....
    out of curiosity I paid attention to my last fast charge (at Kilbeggin) and noted that after 90% my own charge dropped dramatically, but did not go lowever than 12kW which was just before it hit max and disconnected...

fricatus wrote: »
    LOL, never heard that term. :D

Did try doing that on a recent trip to Dublin, but the cable was practically pulled taut, and an extension lead would have been great.
    I stole it from someone here. Great term though :cool:

Sorry for late response.....
    When I got there output was 12kW and dropping....., I say it go as low at 11.x kW before goign back to my kids
    less than 5 minutes later it disconnected....
    out of curiosity I paid attention to my last fast charge (at Kilbeggin) and noted that after 90% my own charge dropped dramatically, but did not go lowever than 12kW which was just before it hit max and disconnected...

The lowest the Ioniq charges at is 11kW and that's from 92-94.

The lowest the Ioniq charges at is 11kW and that's from 92-94.

on a largely unrelated note: any idea why, when charging an ioniq the charger will display 52kW on a 50Kw charger?

on a largely unrelated note: any idea why, when charging an ioniq the charger will display 52kW on a 50Kw charger?
    There's a number of theories - gross power being displayed, erroneous software etc

It shows above 60kW in midway and naas for instance
    It's probably just bad software. Ecars are a joke so it wouldn't surprise me

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The metre on the charger is showing energy in, rather than energy out, the charger has an output rating of 50kW DC. There is a percentage loss on the ACDC Rectifier.

The Efacecs have a rated efficiency of 96% so 50kW out will require 52kW in.

Supposedly some of the chargers have the meters set wrong so they would show 65kW instead of 52kW.

The bad location of the charger port is one of the downsides of the Ioniq.

The car gets it fuel where 99% of cars have been getting their fuel for the last 100 years :p

It's the downside of the charge points that were all specifically build for the Nissan Leaf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

The car gets it fuel where 99% of cars have been getting their fuel for the last 100 years :p

It's the downside of the charge points that were all specifically build for the Nissan Leaf

Christ Almighty.

You can't even find fault with the charger location on the Ioniq. Instead it's the Leaf's fault!

Soarer wrote: »
    Christ Almighty.

You can't even find fault with the charger location on the Ioniq. Instead it's the Leaf's fault!

Your Leaf apologism is reaching new heights

Where do you think Tesla have the charger and what way are Tesla superchargers set up? Exactly. Just like petrol / diesel cars and just like petrol stations have been for generations.

Tesla-Supercharger-2-889x488.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

This is the future of charging stations. Far less likely to be ICE'd when they no longer look like a parking space.

223770-Fastned-78_RGB-5fa795-original-1473172604.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Your Leaf apologism is reaching new heights

Where do you think Tesla have the charger and what way are Tesla superchargers set up? Exactly. Just like petrol / diesel cars and just like petrol stations have been for generations.

Tesla-Supercharger-2-889x488.jpg

To be fair, just because this is where the fuel filling port has been for a century doesn't stop putting the charging port in the same location being a dreadful idea.

Hyundai/Kia have caught onto this with the upcoming Kona and Niro EVs.

To be fair, just because this is where the fuel filling port has been for a century doesn't stop putting the charging port in the same location being a dreadful idea.

Not in principle, I grant you that. No convention should be taken as holy otherwise there would never be any progress. But obviously Tesla could do what they want, the didn't have to conform to any traditions. Yet for the charging they chose the model that has proven to work well. I'm sure they have considered alternatives.

As liamog says, charging should not be in parking spaces. See most (not all) the Tesla supercharger setups and indeed the even better thought out Fastned charging stations.

:D:D:D

Ha ha! I'm loving the banter here. It reminds me of the Super Nintendo v Mega drive, Xbox or PlayStation and Oasis v Blur arguments :D

I was greedy, I liked them all

You're showing your age there woppers :D

I had a loan of a Mega drive for a bit when I was a student and I obsessively played this until I finished it. I decided that playing games was not going to be good for me, so I quit :D

Desert_Strike_-_Return_to_the_Gulf_Coverart.png

You're showing your age there woppers :D

I had a loan of a Mega drive for a bit when I was a student and I obsessively played this until I finished it. I decided that playing games was not going to be good for me, so I quit :D

Desert_Strike_-_Return_to_the_Gulf_Coverart.png

Ahhhhh Desert Strike.... Good Times :D

While you're here, where did you get your MacGyver style extension lead charging cable from?

When I was at a charger one day, I tried to connect my charging cable to the CCS charging cable to reach my charger but it didn't work. Charging Fail

peposhi wrote: »
    Not sure if you meant fast charging or slow charging cable extender. If it was for the slow charging, Unkel got a custom made 15m long one. I got a 10m stock one for my Ls...

Thanks Peposhi :)

I'd like either a fast charger extension, slow charger extension or both. It'd be nice to have all options covered. Hopefully you'd never need them but in the day you do need them, you'd be delighted with yourself

While you're here, where did you get your MacGyver style extension lead charging cable from?

When I was at a charger one day, I tried to connect my charging cable to the CCS charging cable to reach my charger but it didn't work. Charging Fail

My extension cable is just a standard type 2 cable that I use for home charging. It can't be used to connect to CCS and I'm not sure if there even are extension cables that can do that. My cable is permanently connected to my home charger so I can charge the car at the very end of my driveway as if I had a tethered charger. Very convenient.

Got my 15m cable from Phil Fitzgerald from Electric Autos.ie (well known and respected in Irish EV circles) and I got it for a better price than I could have got it from any online UK shop

I'd like either a fast charger extension, slow charger extension or both. It'd be nice to have all options covered. Hopefully you'd never need them but in the day you do need them, you'd be delighted with yourself

If you want to go completely belt and braces here, bring a 25m extension lead (to be used with your granny cable)

The one time I needed destination charging in a rented holiday home, I did, and I was very glad - I wouldn't have been able to charge the car otherwise!

• Advertisement

On the topic of extensions, I have a type2 extension cable, the standard type2 cable, the granny cable, and a 25m 16a rated "outside" (ie water proof) extension cable always in the car.
    So... even if I may have to wait for it, I'll always get a charge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement