Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Round Cable

unkel wrote: »
    Not in principle, I grant you that. No convention should be taken as holy otherwise there would never be any progress. But obviously Tesla could do what they want, the didn't have to conform to any traditions. Yet for the charging they chose the model that has proven to work well. I'm sure they have considered alternatives.

As liamog says, charging should not be in parking spaces. See most (not all) the Tesla supercharger setups and indeed the even better thought out Fastned charging stations.

I can understand that from an ICEing point of view. However, front charging remains the most efficient use of space (may not be an issue considering there's only one rapid charge point per location in Ireland!) and also a good idea in terms of the charge point not getting hit by the car!

Tesla seem to have gone down this route too with their recent Superchargers in Ireland. They are front facing in parking bays, that require reversing the car to connect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As charging gets quicker, minimising time lost charging becomes more of the essence. It would be quite important to just drive in (as you now do in a petrol station) and start charging immediately. Not having to park (reverse park even), saves time

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

If you want to go completely belt and braces here, bring a 25m extension lead (to be used with your granny cable)

The one time I needed destination charging in a rented holiday home, I did, and I was very glad - I wouldn't have been able to charge the car otherwise!

Good advice. I always bring a standard domestic extension cable with me when going to remote locations.

And thanks for the info on your charging cable. I must buy a longer cable.

I probably wasn't too clear regarding what I meant my extension cable. I've often struggled to make the tethered cables reach my car. I'd love to be able to add an extension lead to the tethered cable. I tried it with my 5m type 2 cable but it didn't work.

But like you said, they probably don't exist

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Finally found my OBDII device, after 18 months and 31,000km the BMS is still reporting a 100% State of Health.

I'm not surprised. In this good weather my typical daily or trip consumption is typically 9kWh/100km, 10kWh/100km or 11kWh/100km

Significantly better than this time last year when the car was only with me for a few months. I'm actually quite surprised that the outside temps make the Ioniq so much more efficient than it already was. Not that it is relevant at all though. I couldn't care less if it cost me €1.50 or €1.80 to fill it up from empty to full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

For those who haven't seen this yet, an interesting race between the 28kWh Ioniq and 60kWh Bolt/Ampera-e.

(For some reason it won't let me embed the videos)

Part 1:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH3RqJRhNEE&t=1s

Part 2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFmiqbVXs-o

Haven't seem them but I wouldn't be suprised if our modestly batteried, modestly priced, modest car from Korea won :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

I've said it before and I'll say it again: a big battery isn't the holy grail on it's own. Fast charging and slow discharging (efficiency) should be the holy grail. Then, if you have a large capacity battery, you can make the most of it.

Building cars with bigger batteries and ignoring the efficiency and heat management, thereby hobbling fast charging, is not the answer.

When Ioniq was launched in 2016. Batteries were still very expensive, so what Hyundai did with the Ioniq was excellent. A modest 28kWh battery, excellent aerodynamics and an excellently efficient drivetrain. Going forward when batteries become cheaper and cheaper, I don't feel this is as much of a benefit. For hardly much more money Hyundai themselves are sticking in a 64kWh in their latest EV offering which is not so aerodynamic. In another 2-3 years time there will be 100kWh budget EVs, and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

ELM327 wrote: »
    For those who haven't seen this yet, an interesting race between the 28kWh Ioniq and 60kWh Bolt/Ampera-e.

(For some reason it won't let me embed the videos)

Part 1:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH3RqJRhNEE&t=1s

Part 2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFmiqbVXs-o

Well they were two very painful videos to watch. Have to say I'm not a fan of that Bjorn lad anyway. Basically the ampera has a bigger batter but charges slower, has more range but isn't as efficient, so really they are very close in general use where the Ioniq is the exact opposite of above.

I think it would have been a very different test in Ireland, good luck finding so many FCPs here, and ones that haven't a queue :pac:

The one thing it shows though is that a 64kwh Ioniq would be the perfect current EV if they ever released it.

• Advertisement

lafors wrote: »
    The one thing it shows though is that a 64kwh Ioniq would be the perfect current EV if they ever released it.

This side of the Teslas for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Have noticed a massive difference in efficiency thanks to the good weather -- would normally have a range of around 180KM, but the last few days it's up closer to 250KM.

liamog wrote: »
    Finally found my OBDII device, after 18 months and 31,000km the BMS is still reporting a 100% State of Health.

What app did you use to view that info? Torque Pro?

I've been meaning to set up an old phone to allow me to monitor my battery charge state and all of that stuff remotely.

Has anyone here already done it?

Have noticed a massive difference in efficiency thanks to the good weather -- would normally have a range of around 180KM, but the last few days it's up closer to 250KM.

Yeah it really is incredible. Far better than last year. I think if I drove around on quiet R roads at 70-80km/h, I'd manage 300km

woppers wrote: »

I've been meaning to set up an old phone to allow me to monitor my battery charge state and all of that stuff remotely.

No but I really want to.
    I really dislike the lack of app.

So you need to get an android phone (doesn't work with iOS?) and that torque pro app?
    Anything else?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Yep, set up Torque Pro and use the pids from here https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs/tree/master/Ioniq%20EV/extendedpids

You'll need an OBDII device.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

liamog wrote: »
    Yep, set up Torque Pro and use the pids from here https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs/tree/master/Ioniq%20EV/extendedpids

You'll need an OBDII device.

that's a bit of a PITA there is no such app as LeafSpy, TorquePro needs a bit of work to import all the PID files and set all the gauges...

Thanks guys. I've bought all the bits and bobs ages ago to do it but haven't gotten around to it.

Is it true that the Hyundai Blue Link app will be available in Europe in 2019? I heard a rumour that it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

jeremy_g wrote: »
    that's a bit of a PITA there is no such app as LeafSpy, TorquePro needs a bit of work to import all the PID files and set all the gauges...
    hi guys. So i have the obd2 thing and the pid files. I downloaded torque pro lite and was wondering what exactely to do next

hi guys. So i have the obd2 thing and the pid files. I downloaded torque pro lite and was wondering what exactely to do next

http://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/234-hyundai-ioniq-electric-ev/9962-setting-up-torque-show-bms-data-ioniq-ev.html#/topics/9962

I'm not sure if the information at this link is useful or not because I haven't gotten around to trying it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

I only ever use fast charge, will this wreck the battery

On phone can't post link but someone has just done a whopping 410km in their Ioniq :eek:

On phone can't post link but someone has just done a whopping 410km in their Ioniq :eek:
    Completely possible.
    You'd need about 6.8-6.9 kWh/100km
    I get that for about the first 5km of my trip home as its all below 60 km/h.

Hey lads, what do you think about this?

I switched over to night rate electricity because I was driving between 3,500 to 6,000 km's a month but now my monthly mileage is going to around 250 to 500 km's.

Should I stick on the night rate electricity or swap back to the normal 24 hour rate of electricity?

The only other use of night rate electricity is using the dishwasher on eco mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I switched over to night rate electricity because I was driving between 3,500 to 6,000 km's a month but now my monthly mileage is going to around 250 to 500 km's.

Should I stick on the night rate electricity or swap back to the normal 24 hour rate of electricity?

The only other use of night rate electricity is using the dishwasher on eco mode.

Don't change back see what else you can use in that time and possible your driving may increase again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Round Cable

I drive about 700km per month, charging at night and using the washing machine and dishwasher on the night time meter results in about 60% of the household's total electricity being used at night.

Once you use 30% or more of your electricity at night, then the day/night meter makes sense, even accounting for the increased standing charge.

Don't change. For a start you'd pay a hefty charge for changing back. And the average household even without an EV can make money with a night meter, just put on your dishwasher and washing machine on at night a couple of times a week and you're in the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Yeah, but was it at 120km/h GPS speed?

Otherwise it's irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Is there any plan for a longer range Ioniq?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Soarer wrote: »
    Yeah, but was it at 120km/h GPS speed?

Otherwise it's irrelevant.

Dont understand this.

I usually dont get to drive on motorways.

If it were @ 80 - 90km/h, then for me it would be totally relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

0lddog wrote: »
    Dont understand this.

I usually dont get to drive on motorways.

If it were @ 80 - 90km/h, then for me it would be totally relevant.

If you don't understand it, then you get the point.

The new Leaf can do hundreds of kilometres in a single go at lower speeds, but any time someone mentions it, the Ioniq Mafia (tm) come out with "but how far can it go at motorway speeds?"
    Now, all of a sudden, doing hundreds of kilometres in a single go is ok, nay amazing, when the Ioniq does it.

Soarer wrote: »
    If you don't understand it, then you get the point.

The new Leaf can do hundreds of kilometres in a single go at lower speeds, but any time someone mentions it, the Ioniq Mafia (tm) come out with "but how far can it go at motorway speeds?"
    Now, all of a sudden, doing hundreds of kilometres in a single go is ok, nay amazing, when the Ioniq does it.
    at 85km/h it could only do 200km, with 14% remaining.
    That's easily achievable in an Ioniq.

The leaf's one advantage, longer range at slow speed, right??

And this is an Ioniq thread, not related to the Nissan Compromise (TM)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

So my GOM this morning was at 174km. Normally it's 178km or 179km. Once I got it over 180km.
    I've had the car 2 months and done around 11000 km.
    I suspect I may consistently have the worst scores in the country, if not the world... :-)
    I'm saving a fecking fortune

EDITED: to clarify units

So my GOM this morning was at 174. Normally it's 178 or 179. Once I got it over 180.
    I've had the car 2 months and done around 11000 km.
    I suspect I may consistently have the worst scores in the country, if not the world... :-)
    I'm saving a fecking fortune

That's miles... right?

• Advertisement

I guess is kilometres, but the way the GOM is calculated might take into consideration the CEC (Cumulative Energy Charged in kWh) and the total Km done by the car, it'll get the kWh/100Km and then calculate with that how long can you go with 28kWh (battery capacity)... I might be wrong though :)

That's miles... right?

Eh no (not sure if joking)...it's Km.....

Eh no (not sure if joking)...it's Km.....

I was half joking.:p

I haven't seen anything under 235kms, after charging, for weeks now. I don't take it too easy, but I don't rag the arse off it either.

Any idea why yours is so low?

I was half joking.:p

I haven't seen anything under 235kms, after charging, for weeks now. I don't take it too easy, but I don't rag the arse off it either.

Any idea why yours is so low?

just my driving profile.....loads of empty motorways... Galway <> Shannon most days..... Galway <>Dublin Airport most weeks......... Galway <> Meath...most weekends...

Re driving styles...
    on morotways I am on cruise control at 125 kmh indicated
    on non motorways - never break the speedlimit, and very rarely consider getting close to it due to nature of roads...
    So the range is purely down to % of actual driving time done at 125kmp being disproportionally very high...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

just my driving profile.....loads of empty motorways... Galway <> Shannon most days..... Galway <>Dublin Airport most weeks......... Galway <> Meath...most weekends...

Re driving styles...
    on morotways I am on cruise control at 125 kmh indicated
    on non motorways - never break the speedlimit, and very rarely consider getting close to it due to nature of roads...
    So the range is purely down to % of actual driving time done at 125kmp being disproportionally very high...

My commute is mostly the M9 at 120, so my GOM routinely shows under 200 km. Took a few long trips on slow roads (N24 three weeks in a row for the hurling) and it went up to 220-230.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

My gom states approx 250 to 260 usually. In the winter it went to 220 to 230.

I wonder what a white 171 with 35,000kms would be worth on the second hand market.

The price of that would be a big deciding factor on whether or not I'd upgrade to the 64kw Kona.

I'd consider it if it wasn't going cost a fortune to upgrade.

I wonder what a white 171 with 35,000kms would be worth on the second hand market.

The price of that would be a big deciding factor on whether or not I'd upgrade to the 64kw Kona.

I'd consider it if it wasn't going cost a fortune to upgrade.

Difficult to know privately.
    But they are usually for sale by dealers above 25k. Most early owners of Ioniqs (162/171) would be able to get out of the car now either on a no cost basis (meaning all their driving and fuel was free) or some would make a profit (particularly anyone that got scrappage)

If you assume €25k, you'd probably be looking at min €10k to upgrade to the Kona with the larger battery.

Difficult to know privately.
    But they are usually for sale by dealers above 25k. Most early owners of Ioniqs (162/171) would be able to get out of the car now either on a no cost basis (meaning all their driving and fuel was free) or some would make a profit (particularly anyone that got scrappage)

If you assume €25k, you'd probably be looking at min €10k to upgrade to the Kona with the larger battery.

That's interesting. That'd make me consider it. I can get by with the 28kw battery but it'd be great to have the extra range.

When I got finance for my Ioniq I was told that every €1000 that you got on finance, it was an extra €19.50 repayment a month. So 10k extra would work out an extra €195 a month for repayments.

That's interesting. That'd make me consider it. I can get by with the 28kw battery but it'd be great to have the extra range.

When I got finance for my Ioniq I was told that every €1000 that you got on finance, it was an extra €19.50 repayment a month. So 10k extra would work out an extra €195 a month for repayments.
    That's a pretty accurate figure, works out for my Ioniq too.
    For me I wouldn't add another 200 quid a month for a Hyundai. That's getting towards Tesla levels of monthly.

Just showing what I said earlier, they are too expensive.

That's a pretty accurate figure, works out for my Ioniq too.
    For me I wouldn't add another 200 quid a month for a Hyundai. That's getting towards Tesla levels of monthly.

Just showing what I said earlier, they are too expensive.

You're right, as much as I'd love longer range, it's a lot more money for a 'nice to have feature' which you'd only need occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Has anybody had an issue with the front USB connector? Mine is having some troubles, it only recognizes some of the USB drives or cables that I use. Like there is something wrong with the connector.

Not a big deal but it is little annoying first world problem!

Cheers

Fermi wrote: »
    Has anybody had an issue with the front USB connector? Mine is having some troubles, it only recognizes some of the USB drives or cables that I use. Like there is something wrong with the connector.

Cheers

sorry, not something I'm familiar with. Maybe you could try hooking up with another ioniq driver in your neighbourhood and pluging same into their vehicle and seeing do you get same results?

Fermi wrote: »

Cheers

Try a good quality, short cable. That should work.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement