Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Fermi wrote: »
    Has anybody had an issue with the front USB connector? Mine is having some troubles, it only recognizes some of the USB drives or cables that I use. Like there is something wrong with the connector.

Not a big deal but it is little annoying first world problem!

Cheers

Some USB devices require 5V 1A most car USB ports are 5V 0.5A so that could be you're issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Try a good quality, short cable. That should work.

Strangely enough, my original Samsung cable I got with the phone does not work, but cable from Aliexpress for 2 euro would work?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

BTW for the Android Auto, do you only use the front USB? Do I understand correctly that the one in the storage compartment is only for charging and no data connection with the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

BTW for the Android Auto, do you only use the front USB? Do I understand correctly that the one in the storage compartment is only for charging and no data connection with the car?

You do. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Has anybody had an issue with the front USB connector? Mine is having some troubles, it only recognizes some of the USB drives or cables that I use. Like there is something wrong with the connector.

Not a big deal but it is little annoying first world problem!

Cheers

If it's for Apple, only officially licensed cables will transfer data (for Car Play), others can just be used for charging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If it's for Apple, only officially licensed cables will transfer data (for Car Play), others can just be used for charging.
    Considering I used apple car play this morning (iphone 6s, 2017 Ioniq EV) with a €1 spurious black cable from eBay with a lightning connector, I can confirm the post above is factually incorrect. All you need for it to work is a 2 way data cable, not a 1 way charging cable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

1,461 Ioniq EVs produced in May 2018. Not bad for a "cancelled" car.
    Kona EV production is also starting to show up 328.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

liamog wrote: »

Why is it cancelled?
    Are they bringing out a similar updated vehicle ?

How many of both are being sold outside of Korea though
    (Not that i'm complaining, it's great for lack of depreciation!!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

yabadabado wrote: »
    Why is it cancelled?
    Are they bringing out a similar updated vehicle ?

It was never cancelled, we've just had rumours spreading around over the last 12 months. That production was halted due to battery shortages, or that the RHD model was being stopped. Basically just BS that dealer will say to make you buy a car that's in stock instead of joining a waiting list.

@ELM327, they are still looking at around a 2:1 split for RestOfWorld vs Korea.
    913 World vs 548 Korea

It was never cancelled, we've just had rumours spreading around over the last 12 months. That production was halted due to battery shortages, or that the RHD model was being stopped. Basically just BS that dealer will say to make you buy a car that's in stock instead of joining a waiting list.

@ELM327, they are still looking at around a 2:1 split for RestOfWorld vs Korea.
    913 World vs 548 Korea
    It was paused, not cancelled
    I've seen the memo stating it was paused till MY2019.

Ok. But 913 cars is still not even a grain of salt in the ocean let alone a drop
    Great for current Ioniq owners like me :cool: but not so good for the EV industry and perception.

8 months ago we had someone with a Hyundai Ireland source saying that their would be no more RHD cars.

Is the memo you're referring to justify "the pause" the one where they closed the order book for US/Canada. Stopping new orders being place is very different to pausing production. The lowest Hyundai have achieved per month was 1,138 (April '18) just 62 cars short of their original production target.

8 months ago we had someone with a Hyundai Ireland source saying that their would be no more RHD cars.

Is the memo you're referring to justify "the pause" the one where they closed the order book for US/Canada. Stopping new orders being place is very different to pausing production. The lowest Hyundai have achieved per month was 1,138 (April '18) just 62 cars short of their original production target.
    I guess I saw the memo on headed paper and didnt question any further
    Where's the monthly figures, do Hyundai publicise this?

It's difference between Hyundai Motor Company and their in-country branches.

https://www.hyundai.com/worldwide/en/about-hyundai/ir/ir-activities/sales-performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

300 a week vs 5000 model 3

One is an auto giant, other is a startup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

FriendsEV wrote: »

Yes, but the auto giant is profitable, and the startup is burning through investors' cash like there's no tomorrow, and living off unpaid supplier invoices and customer deposits. Tesla may yet go on to be a great commercial success, but it's in a very high-risk place right now. Just look up Bloomberg articles on the subject.

One set out to build 1200 a month and delivered that number until August 2017, when they were able to produce around 1800 a month until April when they dropped back to 1200.

The other is a company that planned to be producing 5000 model 3s a week by December 2017 and is still yet to hit their initial target.

One set out to build 1200 a month and delivered that number until August 2017, when they were able to produce around 1800 a month until April when they dropped back to 1200.

The other is a company that planned to be producing 5000 model 3s a week by December 2017 and is still yet to hit their initial target.

One is rich, one is poor

God help EV future if the poor one goes under, which it will imo

Should be supporting them

Not criticising

Why would you avoid criticising them?

There is a place for Tesla and they have done a lot to encourage EV adoption. But I'd say that the Nissan Leaf has a much bigger impact on the transition to clean fuels than anything Tesla have delivered (including the Model 3).

You're critcising Hyundai for hitting overachieving on a production target. I say fair play to them. It doesn't mean I don't think they should aim higher.

Why would you avoid criticising them?

There is a place for Tesla and they have done a lot to encourage EV adoption. But I'd say that the Nissan Leaf has a much bigger impact on the transition to clean fuels than anything Tesla have delivered (including the Model 3).

You're critcising Hyundai for hitting overachieving on a production target. I say fair play to them. It doesn't mean I don't think they should aim higher.

Are you going to praise VW/BMW/Renault Alliance group too?

All targets met/exceeded

They are doing wonderful jobs

• Advertisement

Are you going to praise VW/BMW/Renault Alliance group too?

All targets met/exceeded

They are doing wonderful jobs

I'm not entirely sure why that would be relevant on an Ioniq thread. And to be fair I think what the Nissan/Renault alliance have done for affordable EVs surpasses any other manufacturer at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ELM327 wrote: »
    It was paused, not cancelled
    I've seen the memo stating it was paused till MY2019

Lads, it was neither paused, nor cancelled. The MY2019 is just a USA marketing thing. Nothing to do with the actual production of Hyndai Ioniq EVs in South Korea

I have mentioned this several times already...

unkel wrote: »
    Lads, it was neither paused, nor cancelled. The MY2019 is just a USA marketing thing. Nothing to do with the actual production of Hyndai Ioniq EVs in South Korea

I have mentioned this several times already...
    Can you order one? In the dealers? For delivery in the next 6 months?
    Nope!
    That's confirmed to me it's not just a US thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

LG Chem does have more production coming on line for Hyundai, but they are having issues with the chinese production lines.
    I know Hyundai was hoping to hit 3k/month on the Ioniq by the end of the year, but that's not looking likely.

The south korean government has been quietly leaning on LG Chem to prioritize battery supply to domestic EV production over export.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Can you order one? In the dealers? For delivery in the next 6 months?
    Nope!
    That's confirmed to me it's not just a US thing.

Again, huge difference between production pause/cancelled and the ability to place an order.

The order book is full does not mean that production is paused. It just means that you can't place an order.

Half the cars stay in South Korea. That doesn't help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

well, I've done just over 10,000 km in my Ioniq since I got it 10 weeks ago...
    I ****ing love it...and am saving so much money..
    and it is such an incredible pleasure to drive...
    and it's so very comfortable and interesting to drive...cause there are so many different ways to drive it....regen levels, ACC

.... for those who are like I was for the last year....lurking and thinking about it...pull the trigger... it's the right thing to do

that is all :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭The lips

What is the battery depreciation like on these cars?

I have seen people talk of the leaf losing battery bars but not the ioniq.

I have a 170km round trip motorway commute.

Would i do it in winter?

The lips wrote: »
    What is the battery depreciation like on these cars?

I have seen people talk of the leaf losing battery bars but not the ioniq.

Would i do it in winter?

Supposed to be pretty good, way better than the Leaf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

The lips wrote:

PM me your route... I do a lot of driving....I might be able to do a dry run for you and record the figures.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Supposed to be pretty good, way better than the Leaf

Where did you see this data from, the ioniq is much newer so simply not reached the age milestone the Leaf 24/30 have.
    From a personal perspective our L30 is a smige under 2 years old and battery at 102% state of health.

All new EVs for sale today have battery degradation, but it is far less than anyone expected and far less than previous generation EVs like the first Leaf

I'd say a pessimistic expectation is a loss of 30% after 10 years. Even when the car is end of life after say 15-20 years, the battery will be taken out and it will go on for its next life as home battery storage

unkel wrote: »
    All new EVs for sale today have battery degradation, but it is far less than anyone expected and far less than previous generation EVs like the first Leaf

I'd say a pessimistic expectation is a loss of 30% after 10 years. Even when the car is end of life after say 15-20 years, the battery will be taken out and it will go on for its next life as home battery storage

Which gives the EV an end of life value that ICE cars will never have. There will always be a base value that the EV won't go below because of the value stored in the battery (intended). Most ICE cars eventually become a liability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭creedp

slave1 wrote: »
    Where did you see this data from, the ioniq is much newer so simply not reached the age milestone the Leaf 24/30 have.
    From a personal perspective our L30 is a smige under 2 years old and battery at 102% state of health.

Mines a different story. March 2016 L30 with 58k km and SOH of 87.99% as of today. That's down for low 92% in about a month. Starting to get worried now. Paid extra for an L30 to have extra range which is no use if SOH keeps dropping. Could be a very short period of ownership if the downward trend continues at this rate

No need to worry, man. Yes the statistics of the L30 battery are shockingly bad, but you have an 8 year warranty (unlike the L24 owners)

Thankfully the battery life of current gen EVs is much better than first gen EVs like the Leafs. To support my argument., if you buy Ioniq in the USA you get a lifetime warranty on the battery!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

creedp wrote: »
    Mines a different story. March 2016 L30 with 58k km and SOH of 87.99% as of today. That's down for low 92% in about a month. Starting to get worried now. Paid extra for an L30 to have extra range which is no use if SOH keeps dropping. Could be a very short period of ownership if the downward trend continues at this rate

Think I remember you posting that before, I'd continue with the Nissan service records as you have the 8 year (as just posted) warranty to fall back on...

I'm surprised this hasn't been commented on before this.

102% state of health? In another few years it will have become a Leaf 40. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

Is it possible to view the health of the battery on the Ioniq or do we have to rely on the dealer to tell us?

I can't remember seeing an option in the settings but I haven't looked through the settings in detail for around a year.

woppers wrote: »
    Is it possible to view the health of the battery on the Ioniq or do we have to rely on the dealer to tell us?

I can't remember seeing an option in the settings but I haven't looked through the settings in detail for around a year.

We covered it a few posts back, no way to do it via the car directly.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107207860#post107207860

• Advertisement

We covered it a few posts back, no way to do it via the car directly.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107207860#post107207860

Thanks man! I missed that conversation :)

Thanks man! I missed that conversation :)

Whoops! 3 comments after that post you shared with me, I posted a comment lol

Think I remember you posting that before, I'd continue with the Nissan service records as you have the 8 year (as just posted) warranty to fall back on...

Fully understand I have an 8 year warranty but the range will be much reduced for an extended period before I can take advantage of it. If it keeps going at this rate I could easily be at 80% SOH by the time winter comes around with a similar range to a good condition L24.

creedp wrote: »
    Fully understand I have an 8 year warranty but the range will be much reduced for an extended period before I can take advantage of it. If it keeps going at this rate I could easily be at 80% SOH by the time winter comes around with a similar range to a good condition L24.

Studies do show that a mix of fast charging and slow charging is best for the battery, some people who have molly coddled their Leaf battery by never Fast Charging and only ever going to 80% see a drop in SOH. Do a couple of 100% charges and drive it down to 10% then do a fast charge and you're SOH can improve.

Studies do show that a mix of fast charging and slow charging is best for the battery, some people who have molly coddled their Leaf battery by never Fast Charging and only ever going to 80% see a drop in SOH. Do a couple of 100% charges and drive it down to 10% then do a fast charge and you're SOH can improve.

I charge to 100% almost evernight but don't do a lot of fast charging as I have a 140km return commute. Recently I have had access to std socket in work to top up battery each day. Ad a result the SOC rarely drops below 40%. Decided to fast charge today from 26% to 100% as no one queuing (97.5% on Leafspy) but it made no difference to SOH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I'm still undecided if my next car will be Hybrid or full EV and the Ioniq is still the leader in my mind for EV.

I came across this video on youtube, which was more interesting than informative, but has two guys driving from Toronto to Otwa and back again. One in Hybrid Ioniq and one in EV.

https://youtu.be/kIGrTCcnUSY

• Advertisement

Yeah without clicking the link, I've seen that video before. Iirc the hybrid is pretty economical and the EV is better, but the charging infrastructure they come across in Canada is far from ideal?

Would be the same here in Ireland. If you regularly have to depend on the public charging system (because you do plenty of long distance driving and you don't have home or work charging), don't buy an EV now. That said, the infrastructure is improving and with the advent of the paid for Ionity CCS fast chargers this year and next, the infrastructure problem in Ireland will be fixed for a few years (for CCS cars)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Just had my second 30k KM service. for anyone who has yet to see under their Ioniq this might be interesting to watch.. https://qkvideo.net/j/cc7e62f3

• Registered Users Posts: 1 evioniq

Hi everyone.  Would anyone be able to share the location selected and wiring route they have chosen when installing a REAR dash camera for their Ioniq?  I installed the front dash cam rather nicely being able to tuck in 99% of the wiring.  Then looking at how one would install the rear looks more complicated.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 colmkirk

Don’t know if it’s the hot weather we are having, but excellent results out of weeks driving with my second hand ioniq electric, mixture of town and rural driving, using regen more then normal braking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

colmkirk wrote: »
    Don’t know if it’s the hot weather we are having, but excellent results out of weeks driving with my second hand ioniq electric, mixture of town and rural driving, using regen more then normal braking

It’s the weather....all the electric cars are getting great results

Bar the Leaf2 of course because you can’t fast charge it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement