Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hi, is there a new ioniq with increased range on the horizon?

Looking for an electric car that can do 75km x 2 motorway driving on a single charge in all weather conditions. Are there any EV's on the waybthatbcould manage that commute?

There is no charger at work and there is no prospect of one ever being available.

Current Ioniq will do that no bother.
    Leaf 40 would perhaps do so too with some babysitting needed in colder weather
    As would the new egolf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm not so sure the Leaf 40 would do it in "all" conditions.

I managed 160km with 10% left on a test drive in 3 degrees but dry, and I stayed at 105kmph (indicated) on the motorway.

At 120km in sleet or strong winds I don't think you would get a comfortable 150km at true motorway speed.

You could still get there if you babysit the car and drive at 90km on the motorway but that's a miserable existence, lol.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'm not so sure the Leaf 40 would do it in "all" conditions.

I managed 160km with 10% left on a test drive in 3 degrees but dry, and I stayed at 105kmph (indicated) on the motorway.

At 120km in sleet or strong winds I don't think you would get a comfortable 150km at true motorway speed.

You could still get there if you babysit the car and drive at 90km on the motorway but that's a miserable existence, lol.

Wow that's even worse than I expected. Didnt want to be accused of being a leaf hater/ioniq fanboy any more!

The Ioniq has never given me 150km as an actual minimum range. Even at 130+ with the AC on full blast.

Admittedly I do generally drive fast, accelerate fast and take no prisoners, lol.

But I did have to ease back the speed on the motorway as I was losing more than 1 % on the battery for each mile driven.

But if I'm testing a car I want to know what it can do if pressed, not what the ideal range is if driven on the flat by an old lady.

I agree 100%, I am all for Electric cars but I wont buy untill I can do 75 km x 2 on a full charge in the worst conditions possible for an electric at motorway speeds. It just wouldnt suit me until then. So is there a car on the horizon that might achieve this?

Will the range of the battery decrease over time?
    The Ioniq can do it and does it now, not on the horizon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

If it's the "worst possible conditions", you probably shouldn't be driving at 120km/h.

Also, I know what you've said Phil, but I refuse to believe the L40 can't do 150kms on a single charge.

Soarer wrote: »
    Also, I know what you've said Phil, but I refuse to believe the L40 can't do 150kms on a single charge.

It can.

Just not in cold wet weather on the motorway at 120kmph.

It can.

How do you know?

Are you actually going on record to say the L40 can't do 100 miles at 120km/h?

Ya, obviously I didnt think I needed to specify I would be driving appropriately for the weather conditions. Just want a car that I could rely on under all circumstances if you get me? Dont want to get stranded between two motorway junctions because i was driving 125 to 130 km/h when the temp was 0 degrees and the battery emptied.

A car that will serve my daily needs and not leave me pulling my hair out.

You won't have to worry about the L40 for your commute.

Actually Deedsie, maybe ask Unkel/Cros13 to split the thread so you have your own? Your stuff could get lost in here.

• Advertisement

How do you know?

This article has a link to Nissan saying it will do 110-125 miles at 70 mph https://www.speakev.com/threads/leaf-40-real-motorway-range-110-125-miles-say-nissan.96753/

COnsidering that 70mph indicated is probably 66mph actual, and to do an actual 120 km/h you have to do about 125km/h.
    125km/h translates to just under 78 miles per hour.

Considering that 125 miles (best case, as offered by the manufacturer, so unlikely to be achievable) is 125% of 100 miles, but 66 to 78 is an increase of 118%, mathematically it's probably just about achieveable. But remember that's if you take the OEM best case scenario.

I'd tend to side with Phil here, considering how close the math is.

It can.

How do you know?
    Experience.
    • In cold (3 deg) dry weather, on a fairly spirited (but by no means rally driving) test drive I managed 101 miles (162km) on 90%.  Only 30km of the stretch was on the motorway and after about 4 miles at 70mph I dropped my speed.
    • That would equate to 180km for the full charge. (Only 30km more than the OP's minimum requirement).
    • From 3 years experience in a L24, I believe that if you add in rain, strong wind or genuine 120kmph speeds the range will drop by easily 20% compared to normal driving.
    • Dropping 20% off my estimated 180km takes the range down to 144km.

Or to look at it another way, when I drove at 70mph(112kmph) indicated, I was dropping more than 1% for every mile which would give me a full tank range of less than 100 miles / 160km.

I was driving at 70mph indicated because it was in the UK.  On an Irish motorway you would be doing 120kmph which is 8kmph more than I was doing.  That 8kmph increase along with colder or wet weather means I would be very confident in saying that the L40, in wet weather and low temperatures, would not make 150km if driven at an indicated 120kmph.

Sorry I was writing a very long post and didn't spot the edit.  That makes it easier.  Yes I am saying that.  Very simply, during my brief spell at 112kmph, I was dropping more than 1% of the battery per mile.  That tells me that I would get less than 100 miles for 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

How do you know?

It's not really an L40

Has like 37kWh going by reports

At 120km/h in rain and wind it's probably taking 23kWh/100km compared to Ioniq 17kWh

That's about 160km worth of energy for both

L40 is a Nissan Leaf yes? Not really a fan of them.

Fairy nuff.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    This article has a link to Nissan saying it will do 110-125 miles at 70 mph https://www.speakev.com/threads/leaf-40-real-motorway-range-110-125-miles-say-nissan.96753/

COnsidering that 70mph indicated is probably 66mph actual, and to do an actual 120 km/h you have to do about 125km/h.
    125km/h translates to just under 78 miles per hour.

Considering that 125 miles (best case, as offered by the manufacturer, so unlikely to be achievable) is 125% of 100 miles, but 66 to 78 is an increase of 118%, mathematically it's probably just about achieveable. But remember that's if you take the OEM best case scenario.

I'd tend to side with Phil here, considering how close the math is.

Again, the Ioniq owners start going on about "actual" speed, "real world" 120km/h.
    I'd bet any money that Deedsie's (anybody's!) journey would average anything close to 120km/h. Samih did over 300kms on a single charge in his L40. Even the pic from the Ioniq owner that did ~290kms (last page?) showed he averaged 37km/h.

Very, very few people average 120km/h, especially on a commute (rush hour).
    Ioniq owners really need to stop hanging their coat on that particular peg.

FriendsEV wrote: »
    It's not really an L40

Has like 37kWh going by reports

At 120km/h in rain and wind it's probably taking 23kWh/100km compared to Ioniq 17kWh

That's about 160km worth of energy for both

Ioniq is max 15-15.5 at that, not 17.

Fairy nuff.

Again, the Ioniq owners start going on about "actual" speed, "real world" 120km/h.
    I'd bet any money that Deedsie's (anybody's!) journey would average anything close to 120km/h. Samih did over 300kms on a single charge in his L40. Even the pic from the Ioniq owner that did ~290kms (last page?) showed he averaged 37km/h.

Very, very few people average 120km/h, especially on a commute (rush hour).
    Ioniq owners really need to stop hanging their coat on that particular peg.

I don't think Phil is an Ioniq owner.
    And... since the person asking the question asked specifically about real world 120km/h.... it's perfectly relevant and was not introduced for any reason other than answering the question posed. I'll quote it for your reference

Hi, is there a new ioniq with increased range on the horizon?

Looking for an electric car that can do 75km x 2 motorway driving on a single charge in all weather conditions. Are there any EV's on the waybthatbcould manage that commute?

There is no charger at work and there is no prospect of one ever being available.

And... since the person asking the question asked specifically about real world 120km/h.... it's perfectly relevant and was not introduced for any reason other than answering the question posed. I'll quote it for your reference

That quote mentions nothing about real world 120km/h. It says motorway driving.
    I never travel at more than indicated 120km/h in any car I drive. That's motorway driving to me.

That quote mentions nothing about real world 120km/h. It says motorway driving.
    I never travel at more than indicated 120km/h in any car I drive. That's motorway driving to me.

I travel at between indicated 125 and 130. I do over 1000km a week on the motorway between M3, M50 (generally I do indicated 110 there though), M2, M11, M7.

I am still overtaken a lot more than I overtake.

This idea that people drive on the motorway at or below 120 GPS is not factually correct, not for everyone anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I suspect, through observation, that they impact of weather conditions on range is inversely proportional to you average speed.
    Specifically, I probably have the worst range of any ioniq driver in the country as I proportionally do a lot of fast motorway driving.
    However my GOM has never gone below 176, once only it went above 180, and 9 times out of 10 its 178.
    If you are driving inefficiently at high speed, then weather does not really impact that much.
    So yeah, the Ioniq would do that trip, at speed, with poor weather.

• Advertisement

I travel at between indicated 125 and 130. I do over 1000km a week on the motorway between M3, M50 (generally I do indicated 110 there though), M2, M11, M7.

I am still overtaken a lot more than I overtake.

You're doing a lot of motorway miles, so the Ioniq suits your needs. Ioniq for long, mostly motorway driving is fairly common knowledge at this stage.
    But you have to realise that you're the exception rather than the rule. So for "most" other people that aren't doing your (motorway) mileage every week, the L40 is a perfectly good (the best) option. In day-to-day school run, shops, training driving, the L40 is superior to the Ioniq. These people don't care about real world speeds, efficiency, rapidgate because it'll never affect them.
    This idea that people drive on the motorway at or below 120 GPS is not factually correct, not for everyone anyway.

Correct.

Which is why the 120km/h real world thing grates at me so much. Some drive faster, some slower. But the 120km/h real world thing is being held up as some sort of holy grail, and it's irrelevant to most (me included)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Which is why the 120km/h real world thing grates at me so much. Some drive faster, some slower. But the 120km/h real world thing is being held up as some sort of holy grail, and it's irrelevant to most (me included)

But to be fair, that is the question that the OP asked.

When we're doing a motorway run, we put the smart cruise on 125 km/h. We'll end up with an extended run at that speed. In winter I plan my first rapid at 160km. If I was 170km away from home, I would just head straight there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

You're doing a lot of motorway miles, so the Ioniq suits your needs. Ioniq for long, mostly motorway driving is fairly common knowledge at this stage.
    But you have to realise that you're the exception rather than the rule. So for "most" other people that aren't doing your (motorway) mileage every week, the L40 is a perfectly good (the best) option. In day-to-day school run, shops, training driving, the L40 is superior to the Ioniq. These people don't care about real world speeds, efficiency, rapidgate because it'll never affect them.

Correct.

As someone that had the choice between the two, I respectfully disagree. The Leaf 40 is a flawed car. Nissan know this. Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't change the fact.

People have recorded ridiculously high distances on one charge in the Ioniq. On real roads, not laboratory setting. I have recorded well above the official range, without even trying.

My own experience is that the Ioniq is quietly just doing it's thing and impressing it's owners. Leaf 40 owners are constantly saying that the elephant in the room doesn't affect them. Nobody knows how second hand values will be affected, but I'm happy that I made the right choice.

As someone that had the choice between the two, I respectfully disagree. The Leaf 40 is a flawed car. Nissan know this. Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't change the fact.

People have recorded ridiculously high distances on one charge in the Ioniq. On real roads, not laboratory setting. I have recorded well above the official range, without even trying.

My own experience is that the Ioniq is quietly just doing it's thing and impressing it's owners. Leaf 40 owners are constantly saying that the elephant in the room doesn't affect them. Nobody knows how second hand values will be affected, but I'm happy that I made the right choice.

I had a free choice between the two also. I wasnt always an Ioniq owner. I test drove both and decided for the IOniq.
    But of course some on here will decide to ignore that because it suits their argument to defend the indefensible

Correct.

Liamog says it again what I said earlier.
    liamog wrote: »

When we're doing a motorway run, we put the smart cruise on 125 km/h. We'll end up with an extended run at that speed. In winter I plan my first rapid at 160km. If I was 170km away from home, I would just head straight there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We own an L30. If it were the choice ATM, I would choose the Ioniq over an L40.
    Both very capable of doing all the short runs. The L40 has two downsides, less efficiency at speed and recharging issue. That makes the Ioniq an obvious choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Reported on Social Media yesterday by Ioniq owner

Journey of 236 miles

2 × 20 min charges (100 kw chargers)

Ambient temp 32 degrees. (Switzerland

Speed 75 mph.

Awesome machine*.

*my reaction on seen the above stats

You don't have to be respectful at all! ;)

Nobody's saying the L40 isn't flawed, and it would be impossible to argue otherwise. But if that flaw doesn't affect you, where's the issue?

People on this very board have recorded ridiculously high distances in the L40 with no charge. On real roads, not laboratory setting. Samih got 300kms+ with range to spare about a month ago.

You say that L40 owners say that rapidgate doesn't affect them. If it doesn't, why would they choose an Ioniq over the L40?
    And you're right. Nobody knows what way the secondhand values will be affected. I'm hoping they plummet. I'd love (and plan) to pick up a cheap secondhand L40, as I know rapidgate won't affect me.

liamog wrote: »

Again, that's not what the OP asked.

He said he wants an ev that can do "75km x 2 motorway driving on a single charge in all weather conditions". Nowhere does he mention speed, real world or otherwise.
    If you/ELM/Unkel asked it, you'd obviously be talking about 120km/h real world.
    If I asked, it'd be 120km/h indicated max.

Different strokes for different folks.

Water John wrote: »
    Both very capable of doing all the short runs. The L40 has two downsides, less efficiency at speed and recharging issue. That makes the Ioniq an obvious choice.

It's only obvious if the 2 L40 downsides affect you! If you're never traveling at speed or needing fast charging, why not the L40?
    Old diesel wrote: »

Journey of 236 miles

2 20 min charges (100 kw chargers)

Speed 75 mph.

Awesome machine*.

Yes, the Ioniq is an awesome machine (if machine is the correct term), especially in long distance motorway journeys...second only to Tesla.

But there are other options for people that don't do the above, and the L40 is one.

You don't have to be respectful at all! ;)

Nobody's saying the L40 isn't flawed, and it would be impossible to argue otherwise. But if that flaw doesn't affect you, where's the issue?

People on this very board have recorded ridiculously high distances in the L40 with no charge. On real roads, not laboratory setting. Samih got 300kms+ with range to spare about a month ago.

You say that L40 owners say that rapidgate doesn't affect them. If it doesn't, why would they choose an Ioniq over the L40?
    And you're right. Nobody knows what way the secondhand values will be affected. I'm hoping they plummet. I'd love (and plan) to pick up a cheap secondhand L40, as I know rapidgate won't affect me.

OK, I'll drop the respect. :P

300? Meh. A guy on a French forum has recorded 421kms in his Ioniq, with range to spare. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

The probability of finding high speed, long distance motorway drivers in an ioniq forum is obviously much higher than in a leaf forum...because for a lot of Ioniq owners that is why we are ioniq owners and not leaf owners.... we do exist as a subset :-)
    You won't the demographic in a leaf owners forum because if they did exist, they would be pretty quiet as they have bought the wrong car.

For the majority of others that don't need the high speed efficiency, and charge mostly from home, covering shorter distances at slower speed then I would contest that the battery size, efficiency and charging rate don't really matter and the positives and negatives for each car comes down to personal preferences relating to spec, comfort of seats etc etc

Personally, I have a bee in my bonnet relating to Nissan releasing a car with such an obvious inefficiency with regards to charging and its less than totally honest PR.... I'd be annoyed that it would impact resale value....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Water John wrote: »

It's only obvious if the 2 L40 downsides affect you! If you're never traveling at speed or needing fast charging, why not the L40?
    Old diesel wrote: »

Journey of 236 miles

2 20 min charges (100 kw chargers)

Speed 75 mph.

Awesome machine*.

Yes, the Ioniq is an awesome machine (if machine is the correct term), especially in long distance motorway journeys...second only to Tesla.

But there are other options for people that don't do the above, and the L40 is one.

My comment was a general observation based on a tweet from an Ioniq owner that I was posting in isolation from the conversation.

But personally I would like the proper designed car. Inspires more confidence.

And would wait 9 months or whatever bonkers wait time Hyundai are on these days.

Samih got 300kms+ with range to spare about a month ago.

When did I say that? Yesterday I drove the car the first time in a while and covered 128 km with 51% remaining mixed driving on the way for a hike in Wicklow. It was combination of N/R/and a short stint of real 120 km/h on M11/50 also. That would indicate that 260 km in this weather would be the maximum. Although it turns out to be there just over 5% of spare capacity below the indicated 0% on the L40 unlike on my old L24.

I have in the past gotten about 230 km from 75 percent of indicated battery consumption but that was with with strict no motorway speeds over 100 at all.

I'll have a very long several 1000s of kilometers trip coming next month spanning over 5 weeks. I'll know more after that for sure ;-)

samih wrote: »
    When did I say that? Yesterday I drove the car the first time in a while and covered 128 km with 51% remaining mixed driving on the way for a hike in Wicklow. It was combination of N/R/and a short stint of real 120 km/h on M11/50 also. That would indicate that 260 km in this weather would be the maximum. Although it turns out to be there just over 5% of spare capacity below the indicated 0% on the L40 unlike on my old L24.

I have in the past gotten about 230 km from 75 percent of indicated battery consumption but that was with with strict no motorway speeds over 100 at all.

I'll have a very long several 1000s of kilometers trip coming next month spanning over 5 weeks. I'll know more after that for sure ;-)

Thought you'd done something from Kerry to somewhere?

Apologies.

Edit: It was actually 430kms with one rapid charge and 30kms range still showing.

Thought you'd done something from Kerry to somewhere?

Apologies.

Edit: It was actually 430kms with one rapid charge and 30kms range still showing.

Thanks Soarer, still very happy with the range nevertheless. We have almost forgotten where the chargers are at this stage. The house electricity bill has not suprisingly increased due to almost total lack of public charging these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

300? Meh. A guy on a French forum has recorded 421kms in his Ioniq, with range to spare. :D

Any linky? The most I have seen reported was 410km

I had a 120km round trip at the weekend with about half of it motorway @120km/h (GPS speed). I averaged 11kW/100km. Unreal alright. This warm weather does make a difference. I'd say at 25C I could easily get 310-330km range in Ireland if I avoided motorways just by driving smoothly

Tesla Autopilot optional feature costing an extra €5,000.00
    Ioniq Autopilot standard feature costing €0.00

454788.jpg

Tested (on my private road) and working fine, as long as there are no exits. Car is staying a little bit too much on the left side of the lane some of the time. Not going over the line, but not sitting neatly in the middle like it should either. Probably wishful thinking that a software update will fix this. I had to override the system once in about 12-15km (because of an exit)

unkel wrote: »
    Any linky? The most I have seen reported was 410km

I had a 120km round trip at the weekend with about half of it motorway @120km/h (GPS speed). I averaged 11kW/100km. Unreal alright. This warm weather does make a difference. I'd say at 25C I could easily get 310-330km range in Ireland if I avoided motorways just by driving smoothly

Sure...

http://www.automobile-propre.com/forums/hyundai-ionic-electrique/records-du-monde-en-ioniq-electrique-t7779-530.html#p180237

Tested (on my private road) and working fine, as long as there are no exits. Car is staying a little bit too much on the left side of the lane some of the time. Not going over the line, but not sitting neatly in the middle like it should either. Probably wishful thinking that a software update will fix this. I had to override the system once in about 12-15km (because of an exit)

I find that the car reads only the left lane marking for the LKA and hugs that lane.... which is annoying as Irish motorways have a habit of having the cat's eyes a few inches inside the hard shoulder line.

I've done the bottle trick on a private road and it doesnt seem to work consistently. I thnk it depends on the volume of liquid. Interestingly yours seems to be pointing straight through the wheel - whereas I tried the way in other videos online , diagonally. Did you find it worked without bugging you?

Yeah it worked fine. I just tested it on a whim as I had a 2l bottle of sparkling water with me - it was almost empty, about 0.2l left in it. I'll try again with a slightly smaller bottle. I have no intention of watching a video or playing on my phone or any other shenanigans like some now dead Tesla drivers did. Systems available in cars today are NOT autopilot systems. They are just tools that make driving a bit easier...

• Advertisement

Ha!

36484324_1992115514196828_881602021017255936_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=bf91ebb68cb0606aa4ba873617e629b4&oe=5BAB8BAA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

Sneaaaaak up on the criminals silently!

Saw that doing the rounds on facebook.
    No better car for it sure!! (joke)

Ioniq on the new ABB 175kW chargers. Averaging 70kW to 94% :eek:

Surely then charging to 80% would be something like at least 80kW on these?

36514960_10155193954612493_4033861622597419008_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=3d3a0197500b2544af816591b9bd0b49&oe=5BE73A2C

That's brilliant.
    People here and elsewhere stated that the ioniq would charge the same speed at 100kW charger and 150+kW charger... I guess that the higher power chargers would supply slightly higher. And averaging 70kW over the charge session would indicate that it went over 70kW at the peak speed for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Fastned use 175kW ABB units. IONIQ peaks at 70kW, doesn't exceed.

Link

Still though, ~30mins down to about ~20mins is awesome. Bring on Ionity!

RMqutDxjdvqwsX5HYnhTTGHsGtABIacU8mKtDunJ0ZFoTJ7NFmYcSxTkQb8l5anvtCyi6HL2IdOJMUPMZ1h-8_3rrVhYojESJcD6WRUw-94F9z02jzHUNlzKgWlt5OGmRUuX8m-F

If that graph is correct how does it average 70kW to 94%??
    Considering it's down to 12kW from 92-94

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Hmm, not sure. My only guess would be the kWh reading on the charger is measured from grid consumption. Perhaps the 24.79kWh does not factor in energy losses hence the car actually received less. Then again I've no idea on what loses to expect from one of these units.

It would be good to know the starting % or see OBD data that shows the car exceeding 70kW. Any screenshots from Torque showing an IONIQ exceeding 70kW? Also Hyundai have stated that charging peaks at 175A hence my assumption.

+1

From the figures on the ABB charger in my picture, it averages 70kW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

454788.jpg

But it should sit as far to the left as appropriate not try to drive down the middle of the lane.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement