Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

What’s the idea with the bottle?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

What’s the idea with the bottle?

Fooling the LKAS into thinking your hand is still on the steering wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Marcusm wrote: »
    But it should sit as far to the left as appropriate not try to drive down the middle of the lane.

What makes you say that?

I would much prefer it to be sitting in the middle or even to the right of the middle (as far away as possible from cars in the driving ("slow") lane.

Maybe Leaf drivers would prefer it to sit to the left - away from all the cars overtaking them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I did this yesterday too.
    130+ km/h in the overtaking lane at times too. Perfect.
    Overtook a leaf 2018 on the way home too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I dont find this half way house between normal driving and full autonomous driving particularly appealing.

Feels like you are having to pay too much attention to the cars behaviour - I mean behaviour in the context of how the driver aids are doing their thing.

• Advertisement

I mean we didnt jump straight from telephones to iphones so there has to be some transition period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

ELM327 wrote: »
    I mean we didnt jump straight from telephones to iphones so there has to be some transition period.

Yes absolutely

I don't mind the tech being there and people using it.

It's an important step forward.

ELM327 wrote: »

Some of us skipped the Iphone and went straight to Android. :P:D

Some of us skipped the Iphone and went straight to Android. :P:D
    Yes... those of us on a budget :p:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

unkel wrote: »
    What makes you say that?

I would much prefer it to be sitting in the middle or even to the right of the middle (as far away as possible from cars in the driving ("slow") lane.

Maybe Leaf drivers would prefer it to sit to the left - away from all the cars overtaking them :pac:

I don't know why they said it but don't the rules of the road say you're supposed to stay to the left of the lane you are in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

Sorry for no pics but met an Ioniq (lady) driver who had painted/replaced the grey plastic section on the front of their white ioniq with a white high-gloss section to match the rest of the car.

Substantial improvement to be fair- I had not realised just how much the grey plastic put me off the look of the ioniq and I'm sure all you owners have got used to it but it really is a terrible cosmetic error by Hyundai IMO.

Yep. I was probably the first Ioniq EV owner in Ireland to get my grey plastic grill wrapped (glossy black) this time last year. See this thread somewhere maybe about a hundred pages ago or so :p

It's a very cheap solution to a very ugly problem. I paid €90 for an install by a highly recommended professional who used the best materials available. My car is platinum silver metallic, but if I had only managed to get the non-metallic white coloured car, I would have wrapped the grill and the roof and tinted the windows. Non-metallic white is horrible on any car imho, but with these modifications the Ioniq EV looks reasonably well.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

catharsis wrote: »
    Sorry for no pics but met an Ioniq (lady) driver who had painted/replaced the grey plastic section on the front of their white ioniq with a white high-gloss section to match the rest of the car.

Substantial improvement to be fair- I had not realised just how much the grey plastic put me off the look of the ioniq and I'm sure all you owners have got used to it but it really is a terrible cosmetic error by Hyundai IMO.

I done the same when I bought mine 12 months ago. I coloured the grey parts with black gloss vinal wrap. €100 all in as far as I remember. In some other countries you have a choice of colour when ordering.

I done the same when I bought mine 12 months ago. I coloured the grey parts gloss black with vinal wrap.

I done the same when I bought mine 12 months ago. I coloured the grey parts gloss black with vinal wrap. I tried to post a pic jist now but wont let me. I did post 12 months ago on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Hello all,

hope any of you can advise.

I had issue this morning with the car. I came to door, pressed the button on the handle and car did not open. First I thought the car key is flat, so I tried to open the car mechanically with the key. (it took me 20 minutes to figure it out. ) But even when I got inside the car, I could not really do anything, the car just did not start.

I used it just yesterday for a short drive, came back home, put it on the charging cable (scheduled charge so it should have started to charge at midnight)

Any idea what could have happened?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Fermi wrote: »
    Hello all,

hope any of you can advise.

I had issue this morning with the car. I came to door, pressed the button on the handle and car did not open. First I thought the car key is flat, so I tried to open the car mechanically with the key. (it took me 20 minutes to figure it out. ) But even when I got inside the car, I could not really do anything, the car just did not start.

I used it just yesterday for a short drive, came back home, put it on the charging cable (scheduled charge so it should have started to charge at midnight)

Any idea what could have happened?

Thanks

Sounds to me like a flat 12V battery. Apparently if it drops below a certain voltage, the car won't start (no matter how much charge is in the high-voltage battery). I read somewhere that the battery that comes with the car is not great quality. This seems to be one of the more notable flaws in the Ioniq, and as such, you should avoid sitting with the radio on for long periods when it's just running off the 12V. Your roadside assistance should be able to sort it.

I wonder would something like this get you going again. Once the system starts, it should charge the battery again.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/82800mAh-Smart-Car-Jump-Starter-Emergency-Charger-Booster-Power-Bank-Battery/302722676513?hash=item467bad7721:g:NmgAAOSwbJla53R4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

I wonder would something like this get you going again. Once the system starts, it should charge the battery again.

I used something similar recently . It may or may not help with Ioniq. Firstly it too needs to be charged. Secondly, it seems to trigger as the car is started, so it may not trigger as the Ioniq does not start in the normal sense. Thirdly if you have a bad battery, jump leads and replacing the bad battery is a better option.

I believe the Ioniq also charges the 12volt small battery when plugged in to the wall, so it should have been charged overnight. From viewing some video online there is some charging light on the dash indicating 12 volt battery is also charging. I think there are 3 lights that face forward to front.

A battery problem could be checked by turning on hazard or head lights. Assuming it is a key problem I am not sure what bypass is possible.

The dealer should also be able to assist, presuming it is under warranty and it is not just a worn 12 volt battery.

Let us know how you get on. Others here may end up in the same boat!

zg3409 wrote: »
    I used something similar recently . It may or may not help with Ioniq. Firstly it too needs to be charged. Secondly, it seems to trigger as the car is started, so it may not trigger as the Ioniq does not start in the normal sense. Thirdly if you have a bad battery, jump leads and replacing the bad battery is a better option.

I believe the Ioniq also charges the 12volt small battery when plugged in to the wall, so it should have been charged overnight. From viewing some video online there is some charging light on the dash indicating 12 volt battery is also charging. I think there are 3 lights that face forward to front.

A battery problem could be checked by turning on hazard or head lights. Assuming it is a key problem I am not sure what bypass is possible.

The dealer should also be able to assist, presuming it is under warranty and it is not just a worn 12 volt battery.

Let us know how you get on. Others here may end up in the same boat!

Yep, the root of it seems to be a dodgy 12V battery. Dealers have been replacing them under warranty. I just meant that the jump starter might get you going again if you're in a hurry to get somewhere, then call the dealer and book it in for a new 12V battery.

When the battery saver is working, the middle blue light flashes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yep. I was probably the first Ioniq EV owner in Ireland to get my grey plastic grill wrapped (glossy black) this time last year. See this thread somewhere maybe about a hundred pages ago or so :p

Just to save anyone else the 5 minute trawl

Hyundai #1 most reliable cars

Linky

With sister company Kia taking #3

It really has been a remarkable development from the Koreans over the past few decades. And they're clearly not stopping here.

Hyundai #1 most reliable cars

Linky

With sister company Kia taking #3

It really has been a remarkable development from the Koreans over the past few decades. And they're clearly not stopping here.

I just sent that to my son, who drives a BMW and looks down on my lowly Hyundai. :D:D

Well in fairness, BMWs are ultimate German driving machines and Hyundais are cheap econoboxes from the far east, so he is right there :D

Well in fairness, BMWs are ultimate German driving machines and Hyundais are cheap econoboxes from the far east, so he is right there :D

Yeah, how I laughed as his 2015 BMW was carted away with EGR issues. :D

Just because some marketing kid comes up with a slogan doesn't make it so. Ultimate driving machine me Yaris. :P:D

Yeah, how I laughed as his 2015 BMW was carted away with EGR issues. :D

EGR - serves him right for buying a diesel. The main reason I no longer own a BMW is that all that is out there are tractor diesels. Not a decent 5 series petrol current model or previous model to be found anywhere in Ireland. I've owned about 10 petrol BMWs in my life. All great cars and the best driving one of them all was a €800 318Ci :)

EGR - serves him right for buying a diesel. The main reason I no longer own a BMW is that all that is out there are tractor diesels. Not a decent 5 series petrol current model or previous model to be found anywhere in Ireland. I've owned about 10 petrol BMWs in my life. All great cars and the best driving one of them all was a €800 318Ci :)

Funnily enough the best machine that I remember driving was an Alfasud. Cornered on rails. I had to be quick though, before it rusted into a little hill of dust. The fun factor still lives with me after all the years.

I'm kinda like a reverse badge snob: I would hate to be thought of as the typical BMW or Audi driver. However I did drive an Audi 100 for a while. That was before the badge was taken over by chavs. :p.

I have no problems driving my Ioniq, because I like to drive the unusual. Thinking back, I've had some very unusual machines. :D Cortina 1600E, Hillman Hunter GT :cool: How about a Chevy Roadtrek 6.5L V8 diesel camper. :D To name a few.

OK I'll stop now. :)

You're showing your age there!

There was hardly any Alfasud left when I started driving in the mid 80s :D

Yup, young hoon in a fast car is a long way back in my rear view mirror. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

You're showing your age too... The only thing I was driving in mid 80's was my toy truck! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Duplicate

What's the current on the road price of an ioniq these days? And anyone have an idea what the wait time is from order to delivery? And no, not interested in a white one :)

What's the current on the road price of an ioniq these days? And anyone have an idea what the wait time is from order to delivery? And no, not interested in a white one :)

You will have to call all the Hyundai dealers but the news probably won't be good. There's usually a few white demo models around and the odd second hand metallic colour one, but ordering a brand new one in the colour you like might be a problem. Let us know once you rang the dealers!

You will have to call all the Hyundai dealers but the news probably won't be good. There's usually a few white demo models around and the odd second hand metallic colour one, but ordering a brand new one in the colour you like might be a problem. Let us know once you rang the dealers!

I'm hoping to be in there soon to see a Kona EV... :) I'll ask when I'm in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Is there a way to check on the integrity of the battery? Just as time goes by i’d Like to be able to gauge what condition the battery is in.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Set up Torque. There is a SOH(%) field. Still 100% for me after ~27k km.

Anyone here seeing any degradation?

Guys,
    Weird thing happened today with the key for my ionic.
    I sat in the car as normal with the key in the centre console and pressed start I noticed that the green car symbol on the dash was not lit so I press the start button again and the orange car button with the key was now lit. I did not get key not detected message. Perfectly the car would not start despite many times switching off and switching back on again. I also got out of the car locked the car open the car and got back in again. The key fob what fine when locking and unlocking the car but it seemed like the car was not detecting the key fob in the car.
    Luckily for me I was at home so I fetched the spare key and the car started no problem. later when I came home I tried the old key and it worked.
    Has anyone come across this issue before thanks guys.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It might just be the battery in the fob, they can be hit and miss when the battery starts to die in them, i.e. won't work a few times then work fine for a while, then not working again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If that does happen again, try putting the keyfob upto the Start Stop button. There is a fallback mechanism

liamog wrote: »
    If that does happen again, try putting the keyfob upto the Start Stop button. There is a fallback mechanism

Thanks for the replys guys. That was my next question. What happens if we cant access the spare key or other sinarios where its not possible to get a new battery? My last car used to tell me if the battery in the key was low.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Ioniq production back up to 1,800 this month.

Kona EV production at 2,200

Set up Torque. There is a SOH(%) field. Still 100% for me after ~27k km.

Anyone here seeing any degradation?

Hi. I bought the torque adaptor some time ago and had no clue how to set it up on the app so I put it on the long finger. What app are you using and are there a bunch of parameters to input first?

Hi. I bought the torque adaptor some time ago and had no clue how to set it up on the app so I put it on the long finger. What app are you using and are there a bunch of parameters to input first?

I have nearly 40k on mine so would be interesting to see if it has degraded abit.

I adapted some instructions from https://jejusoul.github.io/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs/
    1. Download the JejuSoul OBD Pids repository as a zip from https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs/archive/master.zip
    2. Extract the zip and find the Ioniq Pid files in ..\OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs-master\Ioniq EV\extendedpids
    3. Send the files to your phone (I used Onedrive)
    4. Install a File Manager application (Astro File Manager).
    5. Open the File Manager and navigate to the home Torque folder. (commonly this is "/mnt/sdcard/.torque" OR "/.torque". )
    6. The .torque folder is hidden by default in the Android file structure.
    7. You must enable the viewing of hidden files within the file manager to be able to see it.
    8. Copy the file downloaded above ("Hyundai_Ioniq_EV_BMS_data.csv") in to the "extendedpids" folder (create the folder if it doesn't already exist).
    9. Exit the file manager and re-open Torque.
    10. Go to "Settings" and then scroll down to "Manage extra PIDs/Sensors"
    11. Press the Menu button on the device (looks like upside down box) and then press "Add predefined set"
    12. Select "Hyundai_Ioniq_EV_BMS_data" to add them as a predefined PID list.
    13. Return to the Torque main screen by hitting the Back button (backwards arrow) several times.
    14. Press the "Realtime Information" button on the main screen to go to the gauges screen.
    15. Long press (press and hold) any area on the screen to bring up a list of options about adding / editing existing gauges. When adding a gauge, the PIDs added manually should be selectable as options.

I adapted some instructions from https://jejusoul.github.io/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs/
    1. Download the JejuSoul OBD Pids repository as a zip from https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs/archive/master.zip
    2. Extract the zip and find the Ioniq Pid files in ..\OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs-master\Ioniq EV\extendedpids
    3. Send the files to your phone (I used Onedrive)
    4. Install a File Manager application (Astro File Manager).
    5. Open the File Manager and navigate to the home Torque folder. (commonly this is "/mnt/sdcard/.torque" OR "/.torque". )
    6. The .torque folder is hidden by default in the Android file structure.
    7. You must enable the viewing of hidden files within the file manager to be able to see it.
    8. Copy the file downloaded above ("Hyundai_Ioniq_EV_BMS_data.csv") in to the "extendedpids" folder (create the folder if it doesn't already exist).
    9. Exit the file manager and re-open Torque.
    10. Go to "Settings" and then scroll down to "Manage extra PIDs/Sensors"
    11. Press the Menu button on the device (looks like upside down box) and then press "Add predefined set"
    12. Select "Hyundai_Ioniq_EV_BMS_data" to add them as a predefined PID list.
    13. Return to the Torque main screen by hitting the Back button (backwards arrow) several times.
    14. Press the "Realtime Information" button on the main screen to go to the gauges screen.
    15. Long press (press and hold) any area on the screen to bring up a list of options about adding / editing existing gauges. When adding a gauge, the PIDs added manually should be selectable as options.

Jesus.....fair play to ya

Hi Liamog,
    I have carried out the instruction above but when I get to these ones:
      [*]Exit the file manager and re-open Torque.
      [*]Go to "Settings" and then scroll down to "Manage extra PIDs/Sensors"
      [*]Press the Menu button on the device (looks like upside down box) and then press "Add predefined set"

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I have different menus:[/font]
      [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Settings[/font]
      [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]other settings[/font]
      [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Manage available OBD2 PIDs[/font]
      [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Add predetermined set[/font]

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Then the only option I get is for Pontiac Grand Prix & GM/Opel/Vauxhall. I was wondering if I need the full paid version of the app or can I use the free "lite" version. [/font]

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Many thanks,[/font]
      [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Carl[/font]

So I just bought the paid version and it has set up fine with the file. Can I ask where do I find the information on the battery? I had a look at all the options and I dont see one there that says SOH. 
      Many thanks

The one you're looking for is "000_State of Health" from the file Hyundai_Ioniq_EV_BMS_data.csv

The one you're looking for is "000_State of Health" from the file Hyundai_Ioniq_EV_BMS_data.csv

Many thanks for that. I can see the file in the app but cant seem to get it to display a PID. Ill get this eventually...

I can see you've imported the PID.

Steps 14 and 15 should allow you to add it to the screen

[LIST=14]
      [*]Press the "Realtime Information" button on the main screen to go to the gauges screen.
      [*]Long press (press and hold) any area on the screen to bring up a list of options about adding / editing existing gauges. When adding a gauge, the PIDs added manually should be selectable as options.
      [/LIST]

• Advertisement
    This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement