Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

ELM327 wrote: »
    There's no rumours.
    You can say about production figures ad nauseum until the cows come home.
    The fact remains, whether they are producing 1 car, 1800 cars, or 18 million cars, they are not accepting orders. I know this because I contacted 3 dealers - 2 in Dublin and Fitzpatricks in Kildare - who told me that they were not taking new orders and they could probably get me a white one and/or an ex demo (which I bought in the end, a black ex demo). I've read it on here countless times too.

I don't see what your MO is here. I understand that the memo thing was for NA only, but notwithstanding that, the fact remains I cannot walk into a Hyundai dealer and buy (or order, or test drive even) an Ioniq BEV.

I get annoyed by lies.
    A dealer not being able to supply a car because it has a waiting list, is a different situation to the following claims passed on in this thread:

• Hyundai have ceased production of the RHD model.
    • Hyundai temporarily stopped production to produce Niro's.
    • Hyundai stopped production because of battery shortages.
    The fact is that Hyundai are producing Ioniq EVs in line with their targets and that if you're willing to wait (and find a Hyundai Ireland dealer who is willing to place the order) then you will receive one.

I don't want to sugercoat the waiting period, and in an ideal world you'd be able to walk into a dealer and there would be one in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

liamog wrote: »
    I get annoyed by lies.
    A dealer not being able to supply a car because it has a waiting list, is a different situation to the following claims passed on in this thread:

• Hyundai have ceased production of the RHD model.
    • Hyundai temporarily stopped production to produce Niro's.
    • Hyundai stopped production because of battery shortages.
    The fact is that Hyundai are producing Ioniq EVs in line with their targets and that if you're willing to wait (and find a Hyundai Ireland dealer who is willing to place the order) then you will receive one.

I don't want to sugercoat the waiting period, and in an ideal world you'd be able to walk into a dealer and there would be one in stock.

See I understand what you are saying, but if the story being sold by dealers is #1 and #3 above, then you can see why people are a little sceptical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The problem is that demand for Ioniq worldwide is far higher than supply

Half of the cars stay in South Korea (not sure exactly what the deal is here) and cars in California (the only state in the US where Ioniq EV is for sale) are selling for the full RRP plus USD3000 since earlier this year

So there is very little reason for Hyundai to let any cars go to Ireland / UK

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

See I understand what you are saying, but if the story being sold by dealers is #1 and #3 above, then you can see why people are a little sceptical.

I fear most of the dealer network are more interested in getting you into a car in the current bonus period than getting you into an Ioniq in the future. At least the people who consult this thread, will be given a more accurate picture.

I fear most of the dealer network are more interested in getting you into a car in the current bonus period than getting you into an Ioniq in the future. At least the people who consult this thread, will be given a more accurate picture.
    So is your point that the cars are being made, just most of them stay in korea and there are likely none for sale here for some time?

Whether its a shortage/stoppage/rhd stoppage whatever, it's still the same end result for the prospective buyers. No cars to purchase/test drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Are you basing your belief of no decreased production off sales figures or actual production data? Do you know for a fact that none of the 3 statements above about Ioniq production are true?

The dealer who sold mine and a fair few in Dublin was saying he had to turn people away for the past 4 months because he can't get cars.

So is your point that the cars are being made, just most of them stay in korea and there are likely none for sale here for some time?

Whether its a shortage/stoppage/rhd stoppage whatever, it's still the same end result for the prospective buyers. No cars to purchase/test drive?

Excluding January as it was the initial allocation in Jan '17 there have been 71 vs 94 sales up to June. So near enough the same availability, demand has gone up, Irish supply is near enough the same. Will be interesting to see what the July sales are like.

Are you basing your belief of no decreased production off sales figures or actual production data? Do you know for a fact that none of the 3 statements above about Ioniq production are true?

The dealer who sold mine and a fair few in Dublin was saying he had to turn people away for the past 4 months because he can't get cars.
    This is the actuality.
    The points from liamog above border on incessant pedantry in my opinion because, regardless of the reasons, no one can order an Ioniq BEV at the moment, let alone test drive one.

It doesn't matter if it's because of production stoppages, shortage of cars vs demand, battery shortages, or a chocolate teapot on the rings of saturn melted and the workers got suffocated.

Fact remains, no one can order one.

And yet somehow people keep receiving Ioniq EVs month after month.

In a day or so time beepbeep will publish the July sales figures, what's the bet there is at least of one of the unobtainable car on that list?

I don't doubt this part, it is not my conjecture that some dealers aren't turning way customers, simply that the reasons provided are BS and have no basis in fact.

Hyundai publish monthly date on their IR site, from this we can see that around 1/3 of Ioniq EV production is sent to Europe. In fact we can even see in the two months where they dropped below the 1,800 global target that European numbers remained steady.

And yet somehow people keep receiving Ioniq EVs month after month.

In a day or so time beepbeep will publish the July sales figures, what's the bet there is at least of one of the unobtainable car on that list?

I don't doubt this part, it is not my conjecture that some dealers aren't turning way customers, simply that the reasons provided are BS and have no basis in fact.

Hyundai publish monthly date on their IR site, from this we can see that around 1/3 of Ioniq EV production is sent to Europe. In fact we can even see in the two months where they dropped below the 1,800 global target that European numbers remained steady.

Are all the posters who are told there are no cars - myself included - lying then? Or is there a secret handshake to do. No handshake = here's this diesel i40?

• Advertisement

Are all the posters who are told there are no cars - myself included - lying then? Or is there a secret handshake to do. No handshake = here's this diesel i40?

Not sure, maybe unkel is buying them all and re-selling for mad profits :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Continental Europe is LHD, Korea is LHD as is USA etc.

So the European supply is all LHD perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

Yes there will, I just bought it

Glen Immal wrote: »

In white?

163 Ioniqs sold from January to June 2017.
    83 in the same period this year.

Certainly points to something impacting supply here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Certainly points to be able to buy one, despite what posters on here are saying.

Or points to Jan '17 being the launch month where a larger shipment was held for the 171 plates ...

They would of had orders for a few months all queued for Jan delivery.

Congrats, on purchasing the impossible vehicle, how long did you have to wait?

Or points to Jan '17 being the launch month where a larger shipment was held for the 171 plates ...

Jan '17 deliveries was 69. Sure enough more than the months that followed that were around 30. But nowhere near enough to explain the drop in sales in '18

I'm actually quite surprised people still can get non white Ioniqs at all in this country. I'd say almost exclusively fleet sales. I'd say Hyundai could have sold the total production of 2018 Ioniqs in California alone. Every single one for more than the full RRP.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Jan '17 deliveries was 69. Sure enough more than the months that followed that were around 30. But nowhere near enough to explain the drop in sales in '18

I'm actually quite surprised people still can get non white Ioniqs at all in this country. I'd say almost exclusively fleet sales. I'd say Hyundai could have sold the total production of 2018 Ioniqs in California alone. Every single one for more than the full RRP.

No point for HMC (Hyundai Motor Corp), the California dealers are skimming the cream off the top. To HMC they still make RRP, it's another one of the vagaries of the free market that is the US.

Even if the distributor / importer / HMC gets nothing extra over RRP, there are still many benefits to sending all the cars to California. Lower distribution costs, zero discounts to dealers, only one model to make, one language, no varieties, no local differences that would stop the production line entirely (like RHD cars), etc.

It would probably hit Toyota very hard too. I 'm getting the impression that HMC is out there to take over the position Toyota has now.

That was the plan for the Hybrid, with the EV being the halo car to get you into the showroom.

I heard an interesting theory via Transport Evolved, thanks to fleet reduction targets starting in 2025, it makes sense to do the bare minimum now, to give a easier goal.
    Original source is a Forbes article so needs a little more digging.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davekeating/2018/07/26/carmakers-are-cheating-again-but-this-time-theyre-inflating-their-emissions/#566c9ac076ee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

Black, don’t think I would have gone with a white car, I would have preferred a Metallic color but I consider myself lucky to have found one, after calling most dealers I eventually found one available, the sales man said it must be the last one in Ireland,

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

I totally agree...those dealers don't give two hoots

Black, don’t think I would have gone with a white car, I would have preferred a Metallic color but I consider myself lucky to have found one, after calling most dealers I eventually found one available, the sales man said it must be the last one in Ireland,

Well wear! Phantom Black is a metallic paint! And it's a lovely colour on Ioniq. Make sure you wrap your grill in glossy black. It only costs €90-€100 and it transforms the looks of the car. See pics a few pages up. You will have to read this entire thread at some point anyway if you haven't already :D

• Advertisement

Where did you get it (if you can share)
    I couldn't get one (except white) brand new earlier this year, most dealers wouldnt even take my name for an order let alone be able to get one.

Well wear. Black is imo the nicest colour on them (I'm biased as I ahve a black one too :cool:)

BeepBeep.ie is saying....

Year to date (July included) 117 Ioniqs sold.

91 of the 117 are BEV.

In July 13 Ioniqs were sold - but in June only 2 were sold.

I'm seeing 8 EV Ioniqs sold in July 2018 as compared to 44 in July 2017, that over 80% fall in sales but sure it must be due to demand, no shortage of cars as 8 were sold... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sad that there is a shortage as it would be very interesting to see the stats for July for EVs if there was full availability of Ioniq and Kona

I'm seeing 8 EV Ioniqs sold in July 2018 as compared to 44 in July 2017, that over 80% fall in sales but sure it must be due to demand, no shortage of cars as 8 were sold... :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to claim that Ioniq's aren't hard to get hold of :D
    Simply that the claims made by Irish dealers are BS.

Stopped production of RHD
    - We've had at least one delivery per month except December last yer

Production stopped to work on Niro
    - Why would a Hyundai production line (in Ulsan) stop for Kia to produce a car in theirs (Hwaseong)

The UK seems to have a better system, there you can just order the car with a really long wait instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Old diesel wrote: »

91 of the 117 are BEV.

And my local Kia dealer insisted that there is no demand for EVs because everyone wants hybrids, lol.

DrPhilG wrote: »

91 of the 117 are BEV.

And my local Kia dealer insisted that there is no demand for EVs because everyone wants hybrids, lol.

Kia aren't geared up for BEVs right now so anyone looking for a BEV isn't likely to be going to Kia dealer.

He may be getting Niro hybrid enquiries though.

DrPhilG wrote: »

I heard the same from Kia dealers... we'll see what happens in October with the Niro in Ireland.

Kia aren't geared up for BEVs right now so anyone looking for a BEV isn't likely to be going to Kia dealer.

Yeah this was a dealer in Derry up north. I later found out that the only Kia dealer in the North who sells EVs is in Coleraine. Contacted them and the difference was night and day.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

HI - I see on ecars app that some places have the ccs & chamdemo - out of service
    but the Fast Ac type 2 is in service

is this a true reading of the charger
    and how long to charge on a fast ac type 2 compared to ccs.

thx
    newbie ioniqer.

:)

Full charge on AC for Ioniq takes almost 4h30 :p

I wonder...

Is the (fairly uattractive) wheel arch material here on the Kona:
    2018-New-York-International-Auto-Show-Hyundai-Kona-2.jpg

the same as the infamous dodgy looking grill on the Ioniq?
    112242754257ecf774142f1.jpg?itok=C17i2jNx

If so, it could be wrapped in the same way many of you have done with the Ioniq grill.

Hyundai's website describes it as the "signature silver garnish" which makes me think it may be the same stuff.  I saw the petrol Kona in the flesh and it looked like it.  Smooth shiny silver finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

Ioniq refusing to charge from the on street charger. Was same with Granny charger last night.... What a time to be on holiday in West Cork with only 27 km left.....

ESB charger says it car is charging. Red plug light on dashboard is on, but car pulling no charge. Hyundai say to come in for a actuator recall. Not convinced at that as thought that was for the sticky charger only. Any ideas out there?

rgunning wrote: »
    Ioniq refusing to charge from the on street charger. Was same with Granny charger last night.... What a time to be on holiday in West Cork with only 27 km left.....

ESB charger says it car is charging. Red plug light on dashboard is on, but car pulling no charge. Hyundai say to come in for a actuator recall. Not convinced at that as thought that was for the sticky charger only. Any ideas out there?

Should be covered by your Hyundai AA Service. Not sure what else to do to get you charging again. Maybe the CCS would work as it skips the Ioniq on board charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Yeah doubt it's the actuator. I think there was someone here who had to get the onboard charger replaced. How about disconnecting the 12v briefly? See if it's just a glitch or something.

Are you anywhere near Bandon or Macroom? Perhaps charging on DC might work.

• Advertisement

Yeah doubt it's the actuator. I think there was someone here who had to get the onboard charger replaced. How about disconnecting the 12v briefly? See if it's just a glitch or something.

Are you anywhere near Bandon or Macroom? Perhaps charging on DC might work.

Is that a simple enough job to disconnect the 12 V?
    Should be covered by your Hyundai AA Service. Not sure what else to do to get you charging again. Maybe the CCS would work as it skips the Ioniq on board charger.

Not close enough to any CCS charger. Really out in the sticks here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

any chance it is related to having your charging scheduler programmed to charge during a time range for later tonight?

any chance it is related to having your charging scheduler programmed to charge during a time range for later tonight?

No. I've never used that. Cycled the settings anyway and no joy. I'm starting to t think it might be the actuator. The chargers are not locking to the car when I lock the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

No. I've never used that. Cycled the settings anyway and no joy. I'm starting to t think it might be the actuator. The chargers are not locking to the car when I lock the car.

Would you not just drop it into hyundai to get fixed and as on holidays ask for temporary replacement?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Would you not just drop it into hyundai to get fixed and as on holidays ask for temporary replacement?

Ironically it is the last day of holidays tomorrow.

Rang the AA Hyundai coverage. They drop to a dealer bit of your choice, so I'll just be sending it up home if they can't get it charging. Handy to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Passed a dark grey/black ioniq electric about 15mins ago (10.50) on the M7 near J14. Anyone here? Looked lovely and made me jealous cause I still haven't enough saved to order one never mind the wait time on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

Do the California cars not have some sort of free driving scheme in place i.e they dont pay for charging if memory serves ...

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Ironically it is the last day of holidays tomorrow.

Rang the AA Hyundai coverage. They drop to a dealer bit of your choice, so I'll just be sending it up home if they can't get it charging. Handy to know.

Did you get sorted in the end????

Dglflyer wrote: »
    Do the California cars not have some sort of free driving scheme in place i.e they dont pay for charging if memory serves ...
    No charge to charge, but that was a nissan scheme AFAIR

• Advertisement

No there is an unlimited lease of Ioniq in CA where you get all your charging reimbursed (up to 50k miles)

Linky

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement