Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    No there is an unlimited lease of Ioniq in CA where you get all your charging reimbursed (up to 50k miles)

Linky
    Even on the base trim they get an app...
    Blue Link® Connected Care, Remote Package & Remote Charge Management (for 3 years, enrollment required) :mad:

So I've my home charger unit ordered and I've been cycling through the onboard menus for the charge timers.
    I can't find a way to set the charge times, just a departure time.
    Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You are. You have to select the start on schedule option

Also has your Ioniq had the software updates? Without it, it will keep losing the info you program here.

To the best of my knowlege it has.
    I don't see that screen "charge now vs charge on schedule"
    Are they only visible after selecting a departure time? I've never set them as I've never charged where I have had to pay for the electricity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

Any advise on what charger to order, and where?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Get a 32A capable charger, if you have or plan on getting solar PV spring for a Zappi.
    Most of the time you won't care about the 32A sometimes an hour home giving you 50km instead of 25km can make a difference.

If you've a private driveway go for a tethered unit, it's way more convenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

Glen Immal wrote: »
    Any advise on what charger to order, and where?

The Ioniq can charge up to 6.6kw on a home charger, so a 32amp capable charger would be fastest. You could get away with an outdoor waterproof socket, and a granny cable, or even a waterproof extension lead through the letterbox, but you would be limited to around 2kw, or three times longer to charge.

Things that affect the decision.
    -Do you own your own home or rent?
    -Have you a private driveway where you can always park in designated spot?
    -Do you have an instant electric shower for example a triton 8.5kw? You need a priority switch or a Zappi that does not need a priority switch. A priority switch with installation is probably 200 extra, but you can use basic charger.
    -Do you want a tethered cable and either way what length do you need? (Ioniq port is back left)
    -Are you going to get a night saver Meter installed and are you mostly going to charge at low overnight rates?
    -Are you going to use the charger times from the car or would you prefer a timer to be included in the wall charger? Main benefit of having it in the wall is that if you arrive at a street charger you need to remember car will not charge until timer setting in car is disabled.
    -The SEAI grant is 600 euro for charger and installation, with no receipt for charger needed, but needs a qualified electrician. You could get a charger second hand, or a very simple one and possibly get it all in for 600, but total costs of 900 are common.
    -Apply for the grant in advance of getting the charger or installer, as that is the rules. You do not even need a vehicle reg to apply, but you must claim within 6 months.

I have a Zappi with 8 metre cable option and current sense for instant shower. I use its inbuilt timer and I got a nightsaver installed. I got the Zappi with longer cable for a discount of 500 euro and I used an installer who had installed them before and haggled for 300 all in. The installation was right on wall beside the fuse board. The main downside is the charger is quite big, and has 8 metres of coiled black very thick cable around it, but otherwise OK.

Was swimming in the sea at the weekend. Went into the water several times over an hour or two until I realised my Ioniq keys were in the pocket of my swimming trunks :eek:

Water + electronics = bad. Salt water + electronics = even worse

Was dreading going back to the car but when I got close the mirrors opened out, the car opened by pressing the handle and the car drove no problem. Nearly a week ago now and no sign of any issues. Did I get away with it?

Nearly a week ago now and no sign of any issues. Did I get away with it?

You can pop it open to change the battery and inspect it for water damage, see guides on YouTube. Make sure you have your spare key tested before you open it up in case of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

Old diesel wrote: »
    Did you get sorted in the end????

Yes. Actuator recall work sorted it. Just got it back today. If you are listed for this recall I would advise doing it ASAP after that! From what I got from the team it is not a given that the part will be immediately available if the charger goes for you. I was lucky enough that I didn't need the car and my garage had it in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Very weird one today, came out to the car this morning and had been charging overnight. The charge had 224km as the distance left! Never had I seen over 204 nevermind 224!!! Anyway started driving and the car felt weird, like regen was at level 0. Looked down and no it was on 3. Stopped accelerating and yes it was just coasting freely so no regen. Hit the paddles down to 0 and back up to 3, no change. By this stage I had gotten around the corner and pulled in to get my coffee on the way to work.
    Came back out turned the car back on, range now 209km. Hmm. Started driving, regen now working as it should.
    One other funny thing I noticed after that was on the M50 my cruise had me driving miles behind the car in front like it was set to 4 segments but it was definitely on 1. Changed it out to Max and then back to min and no change.
    Driving home this evening without changing anything it was back to normal with min being min.
    Really weird. Oh and the range when I came out to the car from work to go home was 176km (my drive to work is ~28km) so it's exactly what it should have been.
    :confused::confused::confused:

lafors wrote: »
    , like regen was at level 0. Looked down and no it was on 3. :

I think Regen is disabled on 100% charged car to prevent it charging or regenerating above 100%. This could damage the battery. The computer might have reset the guessometer giving higher mileage or the battery management system recalculated based on gentle driving and good charge and ideal temperature .

There may be no fault

You have the latest firmware?

The car is a computer it needs a reboot from time to time too (stop, lock car, unlock, start). But I can't say I've experienced any issues with regen myself, have the car over 16 months now

zg3409 wrote: »
    I think Regen is disabled on 100% charged car

I don't think it is, haven't noticed anything when driving off at 100% and I have regen set at level 2 default

But you might have a point, in that once you go over a certain SOC it is probably disabled. Perhaps if you start with a 100% car and do more regen than you consume (say your house is on top of a hill)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

zg3409 wrote: »
    I think Regen is disabled on 100% charged car to prevent it charging or regenerating above 100%. This could damage the battery. The computer might have reset the guessometer giving higher mileage or the battery management system recalculated based on gentle driving and good charge and ideal temperature .

There may be no fault

Interesting and makes perfect sense about the regen. Must check it out again tomorrow!

You have the latest firmware?

The car is a computer it needs a reboot from time to time too (stop, lock car, unlock, start). But I can't say I've experienced any issues with regen myself, have the car over 16 months now

Yeah latest firmware, there's nothing worse than when my laptop begs me to stop hibernating and just to a hard reboot :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

lafors wrote: »
    Very weird one today, came out to the car this morning and had been charging overnight. The charge had 224km as the distance left! Never had I seen over 204 nevermind 224!!! Anyway started driving and the car felt weird, like regen was at level 0. Looked down and no it was on 3. Stopped accelerating and yes it was just coasting freely so no regen. Hit the paddles down to 0 and back up to 3, no change. By this stage I had gotten around the corner and pulled in to get my coffee on the way to work.
    Came back out turned the car back on, range now 209km. Hmm. Started driving, regen now working as it should.
    One other funny thing I noticed after that was on the M50 my cruise had me driving miles behind the car in front like it was set to 4 segments but it was definitely on 1. Changed it out to Max and then back to min and no change.
    Driving home this evening without changing anything it was back to normal with min being min.
    Really weird. Oh and the range when I came out to the car from work to go home was 176km (my drive to work is ~28km) so it's exactly what it should have been.
    :confused::confused::confused:

I think you stole someone elses Ioniq during the morning commute, they followed you and swapped it back whilst you were in work. It's the only possible explanation.

Case Closed!

Regen is not disabled even at 100% SOC (displayed SOC) in the Ioniq.
    It is in other EVs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

Did my eyes deceive me or did I see a Garda branded Ionic EV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

gar wrote: »

They did have (maybe still do) an i3 on test but there was never any mention of an Ioniq.

Wouldn't be surprised, though, seeing as they have other Hyundai models in the fleet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Nope... there's definately one knocking about the place. Seen it around Chapelizod one day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

I have seen it used to direct traffic outside croke park one afternoon.
    Its there alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

coolisin wrote: »
    I have seen it used to direct traffic outside croke park one afternoon.
    Its there alright.

there was a facebook post a few months ago-- I seem to remember it was being used for policing Dublin Port --- handy I suppose for sneeking up or the lads breaking in (or potentially out of) containers etc :-)

I posted a pic of the Garda Ioniq Electric a few pages back. I know it's a big thread, but still. Click the "search this thread" button, type in garda and what do you see? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

liamog wrote: »

Hopefully some battery upgrade news will come soon too

Ioniq shares the same platform and wheelbase as the Niro, shouldn't be a big job to get that liquid cooled 39kWh pack in there, maybe the 150bhp motor too

Would really be a poor man's Model 3 then

39kWh should do 300km, nothing wrong with that

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Hi All,

today I had my third service done, and once again (45k done) they said all is fine and nothing needs to be changed, and there is no charge.

I am not complaining, but is this normal?

Fermi wrote:
    I am not complaining, but is this normal?

I've my first one scheduled. Cost is €50, which in fairness is pretty good considering its a uk import

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I've my first one scheduled. Cost is €50, which in fairness is pretty good considering its a uk import

I've been quoted e100 for my first service !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

karltimber wrote: »
    I've been quoted e100 for my first service !!

Had mine done at 43k, was told no scheduled part changes. Cost me €36.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I think it's time to say what garages charge what fee for the service. Then we know which ones to go to, or avoid.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Had mine done at 43k, was told no scheduled part changes. Cost me €36.

Irishg & Fiery - where was this service carried out. Hyundai navan have quoted €100 - for the 15k service. To do what !! Thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Shop around is best bet.

Call a number or email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

FriendsEV wrote: »
    Hopefully some battery upgrade news will come soon too

Ioniq shares the same platform and wheelbase as the Niro, shouldn't be a big job to get that liquid cooled 39kWh pack in there, maybe the 150bhp motor too

Would really be a poor man's Model 3 then

39kWh should do 300km, nothing wrong with that
    300km + range would seal the deal for me .if they managed to get Kona range into Ioniq woukd be brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

karltimber wrote: »
    Irishg & Fiery - where was this service carried out. Hyundai navan have quoted €100 - for the 15k service. To do what !! Thx

O Briens Hyundai Mullingar.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

2 questions actually regarding servicing.
    1- how do you know when it's due, there was no literature with the car
    2- can you go to any hyundai dealer or does it have to be where you bought the car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

just had my first (22000Km) VHC, €79+VAT Total €118 as I changed the wipers as well. I have got all 3 recalls done as well.

ELM327, normally is every 15K alternation in between VHC and service, mine was later as I bought the ex demo car and already had 8700Km on, just follow up with the dealer you've got your car from, should you not like the price I believe you can shop around. The only condition not to lose the warranty is to have it serviced at any official hyundai service.

So you have to leave it at the dealer every 15k? That's about 2.5-3.5 months of driving for me..

ELM327 wrote: »
    So you have to leave it at the dealer every 15k? That's about 2.5-3.5 months of driving for me..

same for me -- but the dealer has said it should be in an out within an hour...... So just tell yourself that you are just fast charging but there is a leaf in front of you.... and read a book for 60 minutes

whoa, in ~4 years your battery is out of warranty :D

jeremy_g wrote: »
    whoa, in ~4 years your battery is out of warranty :D
    8 years unlimited miles?

same for me -- but the dealer has said it should be in an out within an hour...... So just tell yourself that you are just fast charging but there is a leaf in front of you.... and read a book for 60 minutes
    Do you have to book it in so, and are you supposed to watch the odometer yourself? Seems a bit mad of a system tbh.
    I bought the car in dublin but I'm closer to Navan than Dublin so I'd go to Navan Hyundai if I had the option.

• Advertisement

8 years unlimited miles?

Do you have to book it in so, and are you supposed to watch the odometer yourself? Seems a bit mad of a system tbh.
    I bought the car in dublin but I'm closer to Navan than Dublin so I'd go to Navan Hyundai if I had the option.

Isn't that pretty standard on all cars, my garage added a little sticker saying service due in 12 months or x'000 km

You can also set the next service due on the steering wheel menu.
    Our manual contained a service guideline saying what should be done at each service and when it was due.

I think 15k km interval is crazy for an EV. If it wasnt free I wouldnt bother at all.
    Must go recheck the booklet that came with the car. I didnt get a specific service manual like you would normally.

8 years unlimited miles?

where did you see that? in all brochures I have seen it mentions 8 years / 200.000 Km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

My service sticker has 20000km service

ELM, "Hyundai provides an 8 year or 200,000km battery warranty (whichever comes first) on the Hyundai IONIQ Lithium-Ion-Polymer battery. " taken from here: http://www.hyundai.ie/hyundai-5-year-unlimited-mileage-warranty

Cheers, so 200k km at 50-60k per year is less than 4 years.
    Not that I expect anything to go wrong with the battery but I'll have long since sold it by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Does anyone know about the PHEV Ioniq?

Lad in here is thinking about getting one. His daily commute is about 20km return, and has charging here in the office. But he has to go to site every couple of weeks, and doesn't want to be depending on the network.

What sort of range would he get on battery only?

Also, has there been a recent update? Looking at carzone, a couple like this one with the white wheels are around €33k.
    But then there's this type with newer wheels for around €35k.

Worst of both worlds. It's more expensive to buy and run than electric and you get less of a car. You also have to plug it in all of the time to get the commuting benefit. How far are his trips to sites?

If they are really far, would he not consider the 500km Kona?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Cheers Unkel.

The guy doesn't really know what he wants.
    He was gonna buy AstroFluff's Auris Hybrid, but then got talked around by his family that a new car is the way to go!
    So then he decided on a new Auris Hybrid, but they're being replaced next year, so that's kinda gone.
    So now he's onto the Ioniq PHEV.

Site visits could be anything from 20kms each way to 200km each way.

Soarer wrote: »
    The guy doesn't really know what he wants.

Most people buying PHEV don't really know what they want :p

A lot of people realise diesel will and should be gone soon. And they know that eventually we will all drive EVs. But they aren't really aware (mostly because of prejudice) that EVs might suit them already

No offence to anyone of course! It took most of us in here some time to get educated on this :)

Doing 400km in a day regularly is a lot. And I presume he can't charge on site. With the current state our public charging network I don't think I would want to rely on having 1, even 2 public charges in Ioniq in a trip that long. Not until there are reliable and available chargers (Ionity). No charges needed in Kona though, has 500 km range.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement