Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

unkel wrote: »
    I'm very seriously considering buying an Ioniq, but added to the above, I am used to far bigger and far more powerful family cars (think 6 and 8 cylinder petrol BMW 5 and 7 series). An extended test drive will probably give me a good idea.

The one thing I obviously would look forward to is having almost zero cost of motoring once the car is paid for :D

I had the new prius for a two day test and really liked it but it was underpowered compared to my 2.2 E60 5 series (which people complain is underpowered for a BMW). I think for hybrid you should look into the 330e :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

TBi wrote: »
    I had the new prius for a two day test and really liked it but it was underpowered compared to my 2.2 E60 5 series (which people complain is underpowered for a BMW). I think for hybrid you should look into the 330e :)

Really?

A 1.8 is underpowered compared to a 2.2?

Well flog me.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'm not overly worried about CCS chargers. But what is a genuine drawback for me is that even with a perfect network of chargers, long distance travelling will not be the same for me. Last time I did Lucan to Limerick, it took me 1:30. Obviously I went well over the posted speed limits at times (the motorway was empty and the circumstances were perfect). Then I got completely stuck in traffic for 30 minutes but after that delay it only took me another 1:30 to Dingle (sticking with the limits). And last time it took me 2:30 to Donegal (not once speeding). I will have to live with doubling or trebling these times and having anxiety over where to charge next (and for the way back), the bad CCS network will make this more severe. Thankfully I rarely make long trips

Wouldn't a PHEV suit you better then? Are they even going to sell the PHEV version of the Ioniq in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Soarer wrote: »
    Really?

A 1.8 is underpowered compared to a 2.2?

Well flog me.

;)

My old 1.6 mini would run rings around both...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

EV or nothing (brand new) for me I'm afraid. The huge expenditure / depreciation of a the car will be offset by massive savings in all other costs of ownership, from fuel to tax to nero zero maintenance, but only for an EV and only if the purchase price is around €25k or less. I'd love a 330e or 540e but that is not going to happen for me for the foreseeable

And I'm well aware a budget EV be a bit slower / smaller / less luxurious / less comfortable / more noisy than my current family car, a 3l V6 petrol Jaguar S-type :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

And I'm well aware a budget EV be a bit slower / smaller / less luxurious / less comfortable / more noisy than my current family car, a 3l V6 petrol Jaguar S-type :p

Eh? You sure about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I have heard a lot of comments in review videos about road noise in the Ioniq. When I test drove I didn't notice to be honest,I found it to be quiet. The only thing I could think of is that with little to no engine noise, the road noise is the only thing you will hear, so maybe that's what people are picking up on.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

jprboy wrote: »
    Eh? You sure about that?

I think your perspective is from outside the car ;)

with little to no engine noise, the road noise is the only thing you will hear, so maybe that's what people are picking up on.

Maybe it is, but I didn't hear much in tests about the road noise of the Leaf, and I didn't experience it driving the Leaf myself either

Even if the Ioniq is a bit noisy, that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

I think your perspective is from outside the car ;)

No, inside, I drive a Leaf - never driven a Jaaaaaaag, though :)

So, as Fiery Mutant suggests above, despite no engine noise you'll still hear road noise in a budget EV but your Jag insulates you from all that, yes?

Yeah a good rule of thumb is that, the more expensive it originally was new, the better the sound insulation used in the car and thus the quieter the car (all talking ICE here). Kinda makes sense :)

My '96 BMW 7-series was quieter inside at 200km/h than a typical small '16 family hatch at 120km/h

In the Leaf there was obviously less engine noise than in a similar ICE car, but I don't recall it being particularly quiet overall. It's the only EV I've driven though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

A buddy in London had one of those "Jags". Quite a lot of Ford parts, but a nice car overall, even if it is bangeromics. He just bought a Tesla :)

The road noise in the leaf is not so quiet really, If I compare to my Brothers 142 A4 with 19" wheels , the A4 is a lot quieter, apart from the Diesel of course, but there is a lot less wind and tyre noise. His A4 would have even less road noise if he had more sensible wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hard to do accurate noise comparisons. Two noises at the one time eg ICE car, one noise dominates the other.
    Same theory with wind farms, the noise of the wind through tress will dominate the noise from turbines most of the time.

I suspect with an EV, one is then very aware of road noise.

No The A4 really is a lot quieter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Water John wrote: »
    I suspect with an EV, one is then very aware of road noise.

True, but in addition sound insulation is definitely cut down on pretty much every EV to save weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

My new Megane GT with 18" wheels is quieter than my leaf which I was very surprised by, perhaps the good rotation rating accounts for more noise on the leaf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

Thanks Bigus, the test of Evs in Norway was interesting.

Hyundai IONIQ electric: 18 kWh/100 km, corresponding to 155 km range

2014 Nissan Leaf: 20,4 kWh/100 km, corresponding to 100 km range

2015 Tesla Model S: 21,5 kWh/100 km, corresponding to 350 km range

These were not very ideal conditions, but represent real conditions for that country.

For this country Ioniq would seem to pass 200km easily enough and seems to tolerate motorway driving much better than the Leaf.

Great to see the tech evolving quickly.

What about the 30 Kwh Leaf ? the same efficiency would = 137 Kms.

• Advertisement

Going back to the Leaf noise, listening going home yesterday with the radio off I noticed that the leaf is louder on rough tar and chipping than the A4 but on smoother surfaces it's a very quiet car.

Going back to the Leaf noise, listening going home yesterday with the radio off I noticed that the leaf is louder on rough tar and chipping than the A4 but on smoother surfaces it's a very quiet car.

Tyres have a large part to play. Noise doubles with every 3db, so 70db rated will make noticeably more noise than 67db.

Absolutely, tyres have a big impact and tyres get louder as they wear too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭positron

A very real world-y demo of Autonomous Ioniq concept from CES 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlCy4E67-zM

No production timelines yet, perhaps after 2020. Tesla is definitely way ahead in that regard, but looks like Hyundai is heavily invested on the whole Ioniq brand and it's future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Boo.

The Ioniq has reverse camera only?

My wife won't consider anything without 360 camera after getting so used to it on the Leaf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

I suspect that you'd have no concerns @110km/h in the summer.
    Winter @ 130km/h would be unlikely.

Well now , lets see some actual data,

My efficiency in the Leaf per trip could be 18-22.5 Kwh/100 kms with speeds 100-130 kph, I know this because I have work charging and do not care about range.

The The Ioniq is more efficient so if you knock 2 kwh/100 kms off this would give you about 140 kms out of 28 Kwh at about 120-130 kph. There are other factors at play such as high direct winds and lots of surface water and cold, say from 5 deg C and below uses more energy.

I'd be looking at being very close to home after 130 kms, however if there are any fast chargers on route that are CCS compatible then as little as 10 mins could be all you need.

The thing is, the difference between 110 and 130 kph isn't a lot and certainly not worth the time saved in reality, I would leave a few mins earlier, in fact I do anyway to beat traffic and to allow detours etc if there is an accident on the way. You'd be surprised the energy you save by leaving a few mins earlier and driving slower.

I used to leave the house years ago at the last second thinking if I put the boot down I will be able to get up later but in reality getting up 20 mins earlier is far less stressful, I still caught up in traffic in the end anyway so no matter how fast I drive i'll still be stopped in traffic. Anyway I'm on shift now so only see peak traffic 5 days a month.

Nissan are due to release a 38 Kwh leaf soon, however if I were you then I would wait another year, who knows, maybe Nissan will release a brand new EV and Hyundai will increase range too as they said they would.

You can also order the 40 Kwh Zoe now, giving a good 200-260 kms range, 200 kms or a bit more driving 120-130 kph.

Well now , lets see some actual data,

Nissan are due to release a 38 Kwh leaf soon.

Oh the irony...

Well the link provided by Bigus a small while back shows the Ioniq stopping at 155km. That real life test was in Norway, cold with the heat pump on. This was at motorway speeds.

I'd be waiting for the next size up, if I was you. I think there is one to come in about 18 months. It seems the Ioniq is a good bit more efficient than the Leaf at higher speeds.

All this is great, as competition will up the game.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I think the next model or upgrade of the ioniq is what I will go for. Gives me time to start saving for a deposit. Thanks

Buy a bangernomics car that'll give you €4k worth of a deposit.

Best savings scheme ever!

• Advertisement

Not sure of Ioniq figures. We got 30 KWh Leaf with 6.6kw charger, heat package and metallic for 24K. That includes 5K SEAI grant and 4K scrappage. We put in 4K cash also, to net at 20K.

I was wondering how that worked. Does the car you scrap have to be taxed and on the road? So you technically could get the base Ioniq for €24000? With a €500 scrappage car?

I think there's some rule that the car needs to have been taxed and insured in the last 6 months.

Not sure though so don't take that as gospel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I think there's some rule that the car needs to have been taxed and insured in the last 6 months.

Not sure though so don't take that as gospel.

Yea, I think the car has to be roadworthy(NCT, tax etc). Basically you have to be able to legally drive it to the dealer and it needs to have been in your name for the last 6 months.

Not sure how much the dealers enforce that fine print though.

Just found the tees & cees for Hyundai from this page

Terms and Conditions – Scrappage Offer

*Excludes delivery & related charges.
    ^ Hyundai IONIQ Regular Hybrid: Price includes VRT rebate of €1,500. Excludes delivery and related charges
    ^^ Hyundai IONIQ All-Electric: Price includes Price includes Government grant for private buyers of €5,000. Excludes delivery and related charges
    Model is shown for illustrative purposes only.
    The Guaranteed Minimum Future Value (GMFV) is payable if you renew or retain the vehicle at the end of the agreement. Further charges may be applied by your Hyundai Dealer subject to kilometre limits/condition of the vehicle. *Lending criteria and conditions apply.
    Finance example is based on a fixed rate APR of 5.9% and is inclusive of a once off documentation fee of €63.49. To qualify for this Finance Offer; a minimum deposit of 7% of the retail price is required.
    Rate quoted is correct as at 17/10/2016 and is subject to change.
    This is a mutually exclusive offer and no other offer applies.
    This offer is non-transferable.
    This offer applies to Hyundai i10, All-New i10, i20, i30, New Generation i30, ix20, i40, IONIQ Regular Hybrid, IONIQ All Electric, Tucson & Santa Fe passenger models booked and registered by January 31st 2017, except the New Generation i30 which much be ordered by 31st January and registered by the 24th February 2017, at participating dealers.
    This is a Hire Purchase Agreement provided by Bank of Ireland which is a registered trading name of Bank of Ireland Finance
    Example vehicles and prices listed above are non-metallic.
    Calculation based on PCP 15,000km over 3 years. :eek:
    This offer excludes the Hyundai commercial range.
    Subject to stock & colour availability.
    Qualifying trade-in vehicles must:
    - be registered in the Republic of Ireland for at least 1 year.
    - have valid NCT and road tax certificates.
    - be currently insured and have been previously insured 4 months prior to trade-in.

TBH, I don't think they're worried about the tax. I'm assuming the 4 month's insurance means you'll need to have owned it for at least 4 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Similar to Nissan...

Available on passenger models Micra, Note, Juke, Leaf, Pulsar, Qashqai, X-Trail models only.
    Available on commercial models NV400, Navara, e-NV200, Qashqai Van and X-Trail Van.
    €3,000 scrappage applies to the NV200.
    Available at participating dealers only.
    Qualifying trade-in vehicles must be registered in the Republic of Ireland for at least 6 months prior to the date of trade in.
    Qualifying trade-in vehicles must be registered in the same name as purchasing customer.
    Qualifying trade-in vehicles must have valid NCT/CVRT(DOE) and road tax certificates.
    Qualifying trade-in vehicles must have been insured for use on the road for at least three months in the 18 months prior to trade-in.
    This is a mutually exclusive offer and cannot be combined with any other offers that may apply.
    The offer is limited and may be withdrawn at any time at Nissan Ireland’s discretion.

Basically the car has to be legal and able to be driven onto the dealers lot, which makes sense.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Water John wrote: »
    Well the link provided by Bigus a small while back shows the Ioniq stopping at 155km. That real life test was in Norway, cold with the heat pump on. This was at motorway speeds.

I'd be waiting for the next size up, if I was you. I think there is one to come in about 18 months. It seems the Ioniq is a good bit more efficient than the Leaf at higher speeds.

All this is great, as competition will up the game.

A good few of the winter reviews are with winter tyres, I assume these affect the range too.

Does the Ioniq have a CarWings app for preheating the car, etc.?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There is an app in the US, but for the EU you need to set the preheating in the car via the media system

Wouldn't be a fan of the leaf, I won't be buying a leaf anyway. Took one for a test drive. I'm in no rush to switch over to EV, as soon as an EV that can do 150km round trip at 120-130 km/h I'll probably go for it.

I like the look of the ioniq, personally I think the leaf isn't a nice looking car.

Bear in mind the one killer app the Leaf has in Ireland is the fast charge network is far more extensive for Chademo over CCS. A trip from Dublin to the northwest is not really viable with a CCS equipped car.

• Advertisement

And presumably the Ioniq is CCS? Ya that is a bit annoying alright, i just plain don't like the leaf though.

Pretty much every EV other than the Leaf is CCS. An unfortunate VHS vs Betamax type píssing competition which will probably end with CCS winning, but for the foreseeable future Chademo is king in Ireland.

ChaDeMo is only king because the ESB won't install new chargers, they've hit a dead end for a long time now and we're greatly behind and no private company nor garages would dare install chargers.

Doesn't really matter why. It's here for the foreseeable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Had a short drive today of the Ioniq BEV and its brilliant. Been a couple years since 48hr leaf test, but this is so much better. one significant issue with my growing family of 3 children, sports gear, picnic plus dog, the boot space is quite small relative to what we are used to, and quite a bit smaller than the Ioniq hybrid. Sadly I don't think it's going to suit us as a family vehicle. I may wait for the range increases in the Kangoo or env200.

I liked the paddle control for regen braking and especially liked being able to have it on zero. I didn't expect the paddles to rotate with steering wheel! I was looking for them while doing a turn and they were at 12 and 6 oclock.

No prob getting an extended test drive, but don't think I'll bother, but will take rest of family to view in case they feel they can adapt their lifestyle to suit the boot size.

What age are your kids and what boosters / restraints do they have, if any? And you reckon the 3 would fit in comfortably in the back? Boot space is not much of an issue for me. Waiting for an extended test drive myself. Hopefully get it booked in for the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭axe2grind

I didn't pay too much attention to rear seat space, but the car I drove did have a high back booster and an infant seat leaving room for small adult/large child in middle so probably similar to my Octavia, not great but kids tolerate it. The kids (14, 11 & 5) are keen to see it so they will appraise it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Alu

Had a drive in an Ioniq EV yesterday and was very impressed. Based on some of the UK car website reviews, I was expecting to be a bit small and awash with cheap plastic. Mind you, I don’t find my Prius (2010) too bad and it too gets slated by the same sites.

My first impressions were that the switches and controls are of very high quality – clearly Hyundai prefer real buttons over touch screen control for everything, which suits me (though there are a lot of buttons and switches to figure out). I only played with it briefly but the touch screen info/ navigation/ entertainment computer seemed very responsive and easy to navigate.

Seats were not leather as I expected (seems to have all the features of the top UK model apart from that) but are comfortable with lots of support (at least during my short drive). I was impressed by the amount of legroom in the front - it felt bigger than my Prius with as much if not more headroom. I’m 6’ 3” but even with the driver seat fully back I was comfortable sitting in the back seat. Again, based on some reports I expected to be bothered by the low roofline in the back but in reality I didn’t notice my head hitting the roof – I wouldn’t be sitting in the back seat anyway!

I just had a quick look in the boot (raining), it seemed shallow but otherwise big enough and easy to access. There’s also storage space below the boot floor. The boot contained a 3 pin connect EVSE and another cable (I didn’t open the bag). As expected, there was a puncture repair kit but no spare wheel.

The car was lovely to drive, in normal mode take-off acceleration was noticeably quick. Traffic was heavy so I didn’t get a chance to put my foot down but it gave the impression that it could move if necessary.

I tried regen at all levels, 3 was perfect for traffic but not being used to it I was more comfortable with 1 or 2. Turning regen off was strange as the brakes took more pressure than I expected to stop - possibly because it was a new car (?). I forgot to test lane assist but not sure if the conditions would’ve suited anyway.

I covered about 10km with heating on - it was cold, 6C, and raining. After the drive range had dropped by 8km, but as I said that was driving mostly in traffic so plenty of regen.

Overall I am very interested in buying an Ioniq and much preferred it to the Leaf SV I tested a while back. Aside from the reported longer range, I think the Ioniq looks better inside and out and has more toys. Then again I expect Nissan to release something new soon, and are reports of a higher range Ioniq before 2018, so will more than likely wait a bit longer before I buy.

No doubt, its a fast maturing tech. It's a personal choice for each person when they jump, but 2/3 years will have EVs suitable for the majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Alu wrote: »
    I tried regen at all levels, 3 was perfect for traffic but not being used to it I was more comfortable with 1 or 2. Turning regen off was strange as the brakes took more pressure than I expected to stop - possibly because it was a new car (?).
    I guess you're used to the Prius where there would always be some regen when over 10km/h. Brake pedal sensitivity can vary significantly between different cars anyway - try driving an old Citroen with hydropneumatic suspension (Xantia, BX, CX, etc.) if you want to experience the other extreme!

Regarding interior: With the 3rd gen Prius they used a lot of rather thin, hard plant-based plastics to reduce weight and environmental impact during manufacturing. I'm sure similar has been done with the Ioniq for similar reasons - so I guess you're just used to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭positron

Alu wrote:
    Seats were not leather as I expected (seems to have all the features of the top UK model apart from that) but are comfortable with lots of support (at least during my short drive). I was impressed by the amount of legroom in the front - it felt bigger than my Prius with as much if not more headroom. I’m 6’ 3†but even with the driver seat fully back I was comfortable sitting in the back seat. Again, based on some reports I expected to be bothered by the low roofline in the back but in reality I didn’t notice my head hitting the roof – I wouldn’t be sitting in the back seat anyway!

Thanks for the review. I felt the same away about the car and similar conclusions about waiting another year. I am only 5' 11" and in the back if I try to rest my head back on the headrest my head was also touching the roof. If car goes over a speed bump a little too fast with me in the back, there would be a lot of cursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Alu

I guess you're used to the Prius where there would always be some regen when over 10km/h. Brake pedal sensitivity can vary significantly between different cars anyway - try driving an old Citroen with hydropneumatic suspension (Xantia, BX, CX, etc.) if you want to experience the other extreme!

That’s probably it, just caught me by surprise after dropping the regen from level 2 straight to 0!
    Regarding interior: With the 3rd gen Prius they used a lot of rather thin, hard plant-based plastics to reduce weight and environmental impact during manufacturing. I'm sure similar has been done with the Ioniq for similar reasons - so I guess you're just used to it :)

Yeah, probably true! The Prius plastics are quite thin - it could be that the texture/ colouring hides that a bit because I don’t perceive a big difference in quality when I sit in a VW, Merc, etc. (gain might be just me as most reviews make a big deal of hard vs soft plastics).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement