Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And hypermiling, Bjørn Nyland got 830km out of one charge

Because of the extremely efficient drive train of the Hyundais (can coast for ridiculous distances barely slowing down without using electricity) it is very easy to get a few extra km out of the car if you need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Plus when you get used to using the regen efficiently, you will gain range back. I gained back 6km of range freewheeling from sally gap down to Glendalough, using the regen as a brake.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

It can be fun to do, but you don't need to use the regen paddles. Normal braking with the brake pedal creates the same regen as the paddles (unless you stamp on it)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fitz213

Woke up this morning and found the power was off in the house. I had the car plugged in via the granny cable. Now realised the cable with or without it being plugged it into the car is tripping the fuse! I have been using the cable for c. 10months without problem but it must now be faulty! Anyone else have this problem? Is it under warranty with Hyundai? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

fitz213 wrote: »
    Woke up this morning and found the power was off in the house. I had the car plugged in via the granny cable. Now realised the cable with or without it being plugged it into the car is tripping the fuse! I have been using the cable for c. 10months without problem but it must now be faulty! Anyone else have this problem? Is it under warranty with Hyundai? Thanks.

Has water gotten into it somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fitz213

Soarer wrote: »
    Has water gotten into it somewhere?

Fuse in the plug for the charger is badly blown. Not sure what caused it. Don't think it was too wet last night.

unkel wrote: »
    Most people buying PHEV don't really know what they want :p

A lot of people realise diesel will and should be gone soon. And they know that eventually we will all drive EVs. But they aren't really aware (mostly because of prejudice) that EVs might suit them already

No offence to anyone of course! It took most of us in here some time to get educated on this :)

Doing 400km in a day regularly is a lot. And I presume he can't charge on site. With the current state our public charging network I don't think I would want to rely on having 1, even 2 public charges in Ioniq in a trip that long. Not until there are reliable and available chargers (Ionity). No charges needed in Kona though, has 500 km range.

Coming back to this Unkel, I think I have him convinced to go BEV.

A few other points....
    His trip to site is 150km each way on non-motorway roads...roughly Cork-New Ross.
    He can charge onsite.
    He can charge here in work.
    A PHEV is approx. €33k on the road. From DoneDeal, a 2018 BEV demonstrator from the North is approx. €27k. So I explained to him that even if servicing and running costs were exactly the same between the PHEV and BEV, and the BEV didn't suit his site visits, that €6,000 saving would rent a lot of cars for a lot of days to travel to site.

So the ball is back in his court.

P.S. The L40 would probably suit him too, so I might suggest that! ;)

He can charge onsite.

Sorted so. BEV is perfect for him

And yes, do suggest a L40 too, and a Kona (which is more expensive to buy but likely to hold its value far better than a L40)

• Advertisement

Sorted so. BEV is perfect for him

And yes, do suggest a L40 too, and a Kona (which is more expensive to buy but likely to hold its value far better than a L40)

Aye.

I suggested a Kona, but he's not for waiting.

Aye.

I suggested a Kona, but he's not for waiting.

In that case he doesn't have much choice :p

Forget to say, you might as well tell him about the eGolf on the off chance he can get his hands on one for reasonable money.

In that case he doesn't have much choice :p

Forget to say, you might as well tell him about the eGolf on the off chance he can get his hands on one for reasonable money.

Cheers.

Don't think he'd get a new/nearly new eGolf for Ioniq/Leaf money, would he?!

There's someone who got a diesel scrappage allowance which brought the price down to not that far over the 31k mark iirc. You won't get much change out of 30k for an Ioniq / Leaf on the road.

Might have been someone who did his homework / got lucky / had good timing / was a strong negotiator more likely all of the above and they got a fantastic deal. It happens sometimes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Heard from Facebook ev group about new 40kwh nissan leaf stolen, while both keys were inside the house. Wondering if there is any way to disable keyless entry on the Ioniq? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

peaceboi wrote: »
    Heard from Facebook ev group about new 40kwh nissan leaf stolen, while both keys were inside the house. Wondering if there is any way to disable keyless entry on the Ioniq? Thanks

Best bet is probably one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blocker-Blocking-Protector-Antitheft-Devices/dp/B078SRHNFS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1535367451&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=key+fob+signal+blocker&psc=1

Or keeping the keys in a metal box away from the door. I'm not sure how susceptible the ioniq is given the keyless entry only seems to work if you have the keys on you and you press the door button (Our old Renault auto locked and unlocked based on distance and I think these are more susceptible to range extenders)

Not sure what way the leaf keyless system works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Best bet is probably one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blocker-Blocking-Protector-Antitheft-Devices/dp/B078SRHNFS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1535367451&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=key+fob+signal+blocker&psc=1

Or keeping the keys in a metal box away from the door. I'm not sure how susceptible the ioniq is given the keyless entry only seems to work if you have the keys on you and you press the door button (Our old Renault auto locked and unlocked based on distance and I think these are more susceptible to range extenders)

You want to check, a lot of them are s**t and don't work.....

Some people have said they would prefer to leave keys out anyway and if they want the car take it and not come into house....personal decision...

Thanks, ordered.

Thanks again JohnyJohn, item arrived today. Good quality, blocks the signal very well ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Has anyone here imported the top spec Ioniq from the UK? The one that wasn't available here?

If so, how did that work with insurance? Were they able to find the exact model?

The Kona seems to be going the same way, shafting buyers in Ireland and only offering a souped up mid level. So I may be sticking with my UK order and importing it.

But, then will they not charge you for irish vat as well, making the 64kwh premium se to how much?ðŸ€
    Unless you are vat registered business user?

• Advertisement

I'm working on the vat issue.

I'm more curious at this point as to whether I can insure it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

DrPhilG wrote:
    If so, how did that work with insurance? Were they able to find the exact model?

I did, there were no problems at all.... Originally when I first transferred it, it was still on UK plates... Insurance company had no problem (RSA). I think I had a month or something to give them the Irish reg (I had it done a few days later)

I did, there were no problems at all.... Originally when I first transferred it, it was still on UK plates... Insurance company had no problem (RSA). I think I had a month or something to give them the Irish reg (I had it done a few days later)

Thanks

But does your log book and insurance cert have the correct model on it? I remember when I brought my Tekna Leaf over, one insurance company couldn't find the Tekna but put it down as a SV special edition or something for the quote.

When I contacted my insurance broker for a quote to change to the Kona, they said they couldn't quote until the car was on their system as available in Ireland. Given that the Kona Premium SE is never going to be available, I wonder if that could cause trouble getting a quote.

**** it, now u have me nervous.... I'll go check

UPDATE EDIT: Insurance just says "HYUNDAI IONIQ EV". No additional info.
    I'll give them a call tomorrow to double check. Also will have a look at the log book tomorrow.

**** it, now u have me nervous.... I'll go check

UPDATE EDIT: Insurance just says "HYUNDAI IONIQ EV". No additional info.
    I'll give them a call tomorrow to double check. Also will have a look at the log book tomorrow.

Lol, sorry to freak you out. It probably doesn't matter, but I'd confirm it with the insurance company anyway in writing/email in case you ever made a claim and they tried to duck it based on it being a different model.

I'll check with my insurance company too and make sure that HYUNDAI KONA EV will suffice regardless of the spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

All I could see him doing under the bonnet was topping up the washer fluid! Did he even replace the cabin filter?

A vacuum and a wash and thats it!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'll check with my insurance company too and make sure that HYUNDAI KONA EV will suffice regardless of the spec.

Had a quick nosey on 123.ie today, they have the Kona EV listed, and all 3 standard models. No mention of the Paddy spec "Executive", lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Would 200km per full charge be about right on the Ioniq?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

only in the summer and not continuously at 120 Kph on motorway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

yabadabado wrote: »
    As an average, yes.
    It's possible to get 170 or it's possible to get 230+

If you're doing 120km/h indicated you will get around 190-200km depending on the undulation of the terrain. Or at least I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

Some people say 160km worst case Irish winter with no battery wear.

With battery wear and non Irish weather, you may get less. I would not buy one if your commute is over 140km or even 120km to be safe with 4 or 5 years old battery

Saw a fella last night in Ballincollig with a black 182-D Ioniq. Lovely looking yoke. Definitely needs the grille wrapped.

Anyone on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ballylad

Worst case last winter at 100km/hr, frosty mornings was 190kms, best case this summer 100km/hr 257km, more if hypermilling etc, if you are fond of 120km/hr/sport mode/heater, expect around 170km or less, that’s my experience with 60000kms completed.

I've averaged 240km over the last 3 months, driving it really hard, only ever in sport mode. Driven in the greater Dublin area only, including all the motorways

But I haven't done any sustained motorway driving, like Dublin to Cork at 120km/h GPS speed, as you won't get anywhere near that range doing that

And the summer was good. This time last year I only got about 210km average. Last (very cold) winter, I got about 180km average

But I haven't done any sustained motorway driving, like Dublin to Cork at 120km/h GPS speed, as you won't get anywhere near that range doing that
    I did sustained dublin to cork and return on the motorway at 120km/h real world speed (well a little over). Given that the M8 is very undulating it had a real impact on range and I was getting 175km to a charge (and a charge on that run was to 94% not 100% as I started at Lucan)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Saw a fella last night in Ballincollig with a black 182-D Ioniq. Lovely looking yoke. Definitely needs the grille wrapped.

Anyone on here?
    No but I saw a 172D silver Ioniq hybrid in Dublin city centre yesterday, the colour looked really good. The chrome grille probably added to that of course :) 

ELM327 wrote: »
    I did sustained dublin to cork and return on the motorway at 120km/h real world speed (well a little over). Given that the M8 is very undulating it had a real impact on range and I was getting 175km to a charge (and a charge on that run was to 94% not 100% as I started at Lucan)

175km at 120km/h using 94% is good going. You won't get that again next summer :D

unkel wrote:
    175km at 120km/h using 94% is good going. You won't get that again next summer

So I have a theory unkel, which goes as follows. The faster you driver the less weather has an impact. Specifically since april in my case my GOM range have never been lower that 178 or higher than 184 and 9 times out of 10 is 179km. I suspect that over 120+ kmph the car is relativity so inefficient that weather temp plays a significantly decreased role....

Yes the wind resistance rises exponentially with speed. At vmax (about 167km/h GPS), it will make very little difference if you drive in -10C or +30C. Your battery is going to be empty quickly

Edit - quick google. This is remarkable. Looks like he is using only about 30kW at 175km/h (real speed about 169km/h)

That's a range of 157km at 169km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

zg3409 wrote: »
    Some people say 160km worst case Irish winter with no battery wear.

With battery wear and non Irish weather, you may get less. I would not buy one if your commute is over 140km or even 120km to be safe with 4 or 5 years old battery

So far the only car with excessive battery wear was the first generation Nissan Leaf. Probably best to wait until the Ioniq is 5 years old before judging the battery degradation. Newer battery chemistries seem to hold there range for a much longer time.

Then again you could avoid the car, and leave the bargains for the rest of us!

175km at 120km/h using 94% is good going. You won't get that again next summer :D
    This was before the very hot weather started though.
    And as we see above, the weather doesnt seem to impact at higher speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

I'm sorry I didn't get one of these now as I was waiting for the Kona but the price is about €5k over my price range and the Niro is likely to be the same. I just spoke to a local Hyundai dealer who quoted me €37.5k with the grant to come off that,but I think he is mistaken.
    He also said there are no Ioniqs left in the country, is this true? I'm really going to have to consider the Leaf now I think.
    My commute is 110kms per day and 300-350km trips 3-4 times a year.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

patmac wrote: »
    I'm sorry I didn't get one of these now as I was waiting for the Kona but the price is about €5k over my price range and the Niro is likely to be the same. I just spoke to a local Hyundai dealer who quoted me €37.5k with the grant to come off that,but I think he is mistaken.
    He also said there are no Ioniqs left in the country, is this true? I'm really going to have to consider the Leaf now I think.

Some dealers are sending people away, others are placing orders so you may need to ring around. If he's quoting 37.5k he's probably not trying to sell you one.

Your other option is to purchase a second hand one from the UK.

If you'd consider a second hand 2017 one I know of someone who may be selling soon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

I
    He also said there are no Ioniqs left in the country, is this true?

There seems to be no 2018 expect used from northern Ireland on done deal. It would need to be 6 months old at time of import. There are 1 or 2 real 2017 models on done deal, 1 in kildare uk import and another with stickers that is long gone also claiming Kildare.

You may get a 2018 from UK but most as snapped up quickly.

My commute is also 110km and it does it nicely at 120km with 45% battery to spare. Costs around 2 euro to top it up each night on night rate.

In relation to leaf beware the 30kw version may not have the equivalent range, and the Ioniq has some features as standard the leaf does not such as cruise control with following the car in front. I think the new leaf has a nicer seating position , more comfortable drivers seat and higher seat with higher windscreen.

There should be more ioniqs on the market when the kona arrives, and their cost should drop too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

liamog wrote: »
    Some dealers are sending people away, others are placing orders so you may need to ring around. If he's quoting 37.5k he's probably not trying to sell you one.

Your other option is to purchase a second hand one from the UK.
    Sorry he was quoting me €37.5k(€32.5k less grant) for a new Kona. If that’s true I will be buying one.

Sorry he was quoting me €37.5k(€32.5k less grant) for a new Kona. If that’s true I will be buying one.

It's not true. The €37.5k is after the grant, not before.

Just another dealer who doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

My local dealer, who usually seems relatively clued in, told me it was around €35k!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Can Boards host the auction of this rare Ioniq, that's for sale?

Urgent private sale GBP17,200

Linky

With the current low Sterling, if you can negotiate him down to GBP16,700 (he's under pressure right?) you can land that for under €19k. I know it's a 2016 car, but I'd say it's highly unlikely you'll get an Ioniq EV for that kind of money again for a long time...

If anyone wants one, I'd jump in right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

My Ioniq won’t start this morning. Has anyone come across this warning before?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement