Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

My Ioniq won’t start this morning. Has anyone come across this warning before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

2016 model just went up for sale for UK£17,200 on auto trader private seller. It might not be worth bringing in 2016, compared to newer models but if you want an Ioniq for 19,300 euro this fits the bill. I could no see a location on ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

paulers06 wrote: »

Could it be an issue with the 12v battery? If you could slap a charger on it for a bit it would tell you if it is, or jump from a good battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

May be a weak 12V battery?

When the battery gets weak in the Leaf, it throws up weird/random errors. Maybe it's the same in the Ioniq?

Could it be an issue with the 12v battery? If you could slap a charger on it for a bit it would tell you if it is, or jump from a good battery.
    Soarer wrote: »
    May be a weak 12V battery?

When the battery gets weak in the Leaf, it throws up weird/random errors. Maybe it's the same in the Ioniq?

Thanks for the suggestions. I made it as far as my parents house to drop the dog off and got the warning when leaving. Will try the granny cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

Wow. I never saw that one. Sorry. I hope you get it sorted soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thanks for the suggestions. I made it as far as my parents house to drop the dog off and got the warning when leaving. Will try the granny cable.
    It's not the granny cable you need, try the following:
    First - turn off the car for 6+ minutes and turn back on. If it's still there then try the next step:
    Check 12v battery with voltmeter.
    If low, top it up with battery charger (12v charger)
    If these don't resolve the issue bring it back to Hyundai (or call them) as it's still under warranty

That doesn't sound like the 12v battery then, unless it's completely shot.

It would not have started the car at all this morning if it was weak, and it should have charged from the main battery on your run to parents.

Sounds like dealer time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

zg3409 wrote: »
    2016 model just went up for sale for UK£17,200 on auto trader private seller. It might not be worth bringing in 2016, compared to newer models but if you want an Ioniq for 19,300 euro this fits the bill. I could no see a location on ad.

Car registration is Chelmsford

That doesn't sound like the 12v battery then, unless it's completely shot.

It would not have started the car at all this morning if it was weak, and it should have charged from the main battery on your run to parents.

Sounds like dealer time.
    It should also have charged itself when parked (unless OP has that option disabled)

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    It should also have charged itself when parked (unless OP has that option disabled)

Thanks everybody. I spoke to the dealer and it needs to be towed in. They’ve had 2 of these warnings in the last two years and both different issues so they won’t know until they get it. Time to use my complimentary AA membership!

If only there was an IoniqSpy.

Edit: Of course the dealer is gonna tell you to bring it in! See if you can swap out/charge the 12V battery before doing anything else.

If only there was an IoniqSpy.

Edit: Of course the dealer is gonna tell you to bring it in! See if you can swap out/charge the 12V battery before doing anything else.
    That's a temporary fix in all liklihood, Ioniq has a permanent ability to charge the 12v battery even when the car is off, so unless the traction battery is also dead it's likely not the 12v as much as it is a different issue. Car is under warranty so if the dealer says to bring it in then bring it in IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

That's mad. What does that put the value of a 2nd hand 171/172 Ioniq BEV in Ireland need then? I imagine one or two of them might turn over for Kona trade-ins. Will be interesting to see what the dealers offer for that trade-in.

There would be no money in the dealer turning them around and an eager market, one would think.
    unkel wrote: »
    Urgent private sale GBP17,200

Linky

With the current low Sterling, if you can negotiate him down to GBP16,700 (he's under pressure right?) you can land that for under €19k. I know it's a 2016 car, but I'd say it's highly unlikely you'll get an Ioniq EV for that kind of money again for a long time...

If anyone wants one, I'd jump in right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,743 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's a one off. Odd ad that puts people off, private sale, finance owing. Owner under pressure to sell. A hawk will get a great deal here but don't expect it to have any impact at all on the value of second hand Ioniqs either here or in the UK ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭mr chips

Location wasn't visible from the direct link to the ad, but when you search Autotrader for an Ioniq E under £18k it comes up in the preview of the ad that it's in Portsmouth.

Thanks everybody. I spoke to the dealer and it needs to be towed in. They’ve had 2 of these warnings in the last two years and both different issues so they won’t know until they get it. Time to use my complimentary AA membership!

Don't forget to report back to us. :o

Don't forget to report back to us. :o

Will do. AA sent a van instead of a tow truck so the truck had to be ordered after they arrived. I had to go to work so I abandoned the car at my parents house where it is still awaiting pick up. Presumably Hyundai won't diagnose the issue until tomorrow at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Will do. AA sent a van instead of a tow truck so the truck had to be ordered after they arrived. I had to go to work so I abandoned the car at my parents house where it is still awaiting pick up. Presumably Hyundai won't diagnose the issue until tomorrow at this rate.

I read about the 12v battery being crap in our Ioniqs, plenty of posts on it online. I thought someone here was on about it before and had posted about it, unkel? ELM?

• Advertisement

I'm driving a diesel Duster in the meantime. Aside from the joy of driving around singing "another one drives a Duster", it is really making me appreciate my Ioniq.

lafors wrote: »
    I read about the 12v battery being crap in our Ioniqs, plenty of posts on it online. I thought someone here was on about it before and had posted about it, unkel? ELM?

No not me, but as it happens I had a look under the bonnet earlier and I noticed the 12V aux battery has a 40Ah capacity. Probably the lowest I've ever had on any car :p

Shouldn't be a problem though as long as you don't leave a drain on with the engine off and you have the settings left to default (in that the high voltage battery checks and tops up the aux battery every 24h)

But lead acid batteries do go, sometimes within a year, sometimes they last the guts of 10 years. Let the dealer replace check it and replace it under warranty if needs be

No not me, but as it happens I had a look under the bonnet earlier and I noticed the 12V aux battery has a 40Ah capacity. Probably the lowest I've ever had on any car :p

Shouldn't be a problem though as long as you don't leave a drain on with the engine off and you have the settings left to default (in that the high voltage battery checks and tops up the aux battery every 24h)

But lead acid batteries do go, sometimes within a year, sometimes they last the guts of 10 years. Let the dealer replace check it and replace it under warranty if needs be

I wonder what would happen if you replaced the original battery with something bigger, say, 75Ah. Would it cause issues with the system that tops up the 12V?

lafors wrote: »
    Not me anyway, have had no 12v issues. And my car was an ex demo that sat up for a few weeks at least before I bought it. So if anything was going to have 12v issues it's a car thats only turned on to move it around the showroom.

When I got it first, it used to top the 12v up every now and then (you get alerted when you switch the car on if the auto topup was used when the car was off) but I never see the message anymore.

Not me anyway, have had no 12v issues. And my car was an ex demo that sat up for a few weeks at least before I bought it. So if anything was going to have 12v issues it's a car thats only turned on to move it around the showroom.

When I got it first, it used to top the 12v up every now and then (you get alerted when you switch the car on if the auto topup was used when the car was off) but I never see the message anymore.

Funny you should say that. When it's topping up it's own battery, the left hand side (I think) blue light flashes. I see this every now and again when I'm passing the car. But I haven't noticed the message notifying me of the auto top-up in ages. I used to see it alright. Maybe I'm looking elsewhere when it comes up on the dash screen.

Water John wrote: »
    Can Boards host the auction of this rare Ioniq, that's for sale?

Looks like Irish main dealers are importing nearly new Ioniq from UK:

They are around 25k for a normal person to import once 6 months old, they are asking 30k

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-full-electric-ev-leather-interior-s/19767536#xtor=EPR-4-[searchAlert]-20180907-[viewMatchingAd]-521001@1

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Can Boards host the auction of this rare Ioniq, that's for sale?

Looks like Irish main dealers are importing nearly new Ioniq from UK:

They are around 25k for a normal person to import once 6 months old, they are asking 30k

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-full-electric-ev-leather-interior-s/19767536#xtor=EPR-4-[searchAlert]-20180907-[viewMatchingAd]-521001@1

Have to say, I love the lack of depreciation on Ioniqs. I'll be able to sell mine in September for around what I paid for it after doing 20k km.

Don't make the mistake of confusing cash flow with costs, ELM427

You might not like your monthly repayments on your PCP, but change your Ioniq for anything with an ICE (even a EUR200 diesel banger that somehow will cost you nothing in maintenance) and your total cost of ownership will go up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You have to love Hyundai Ireland, don't bring the Premium SE because it won't sell, import Premium SE models from UK and sell second hand.

Don't make the mistake of confusing cash flow with costs, ELM427

You might not like your monthly repayments on your PCP, but change your Ioniq for anything with an ICE (even a EUR200 diesel banger that somehow will cost you nothing in maintenance) and your total cost of ownership will go up.

I'll be honest it's itchy feet and using man-math to move to something else. Combined with the savings are not enough to pay for the inconvenience and I'm too cheap to pay €1500 for a charger at home (apartment complex - more expensive due to non standard install)
    I've realised something I thought I already knew, which is I should never finance a car as it will make it more difficult to move on from it in 4-8 months when I inevitably get bored.

I don't have PCP just normal car loan, PCP you can't really move on so easily from, a normal car loan you can sell the car and have the buyer pay the settlement amount to the finance company and the remainder to you as the seller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

liamog wrote: »
    You have to love Hyundai Ireland, don't bring the Premium SE because it won't sell, import Premium SE models from UK and sell second hand.

Is it not just simply individual dealers bringing in Ioniqs from UK due to very little to no supply new or used of Ioniqs over here.

And thus nothing to do with Hyundai Ireland

I don't have PCP just normal car loan, PCP you can't really move on so easily from, a normal car loan you can sell the car and have the buyer pay the settlement amount to the finance company and the remainder to you as the seller.

I reckon there'll be nobody want to get involved with a finance company to purchase a secondhand car. If I were you trying to sell, I'd clear the finance first, then sell.

If I were buying a secondhand car, I'd run a mile from outstanding finance. But that's probably just me.

I reckon there'll be nobody want to get involved with a finance company to purchase a secondhand car. If I were you trying to sell, I'd clear the finance first, then sell.

If I were buying a secondhand car, I'd run a mile from outstanding finance. But that's probably just me.
    Usually I'd agree but with the scarcity of Ioniqs I reckon I'll find a buyer.
    If not then of course I'll have to look at the bridging loan options

I reckon there'll be nobody want to get involved with a finance company to purchase a secondhand car.

It's not really a problem. Prospective buyer contacts finance company and pays of outstanding finance and pays balance to the owner at the same time
    I should never finance a car

Yep. I think financing a car is a bad idea.

Now say you got your Ioniq sold. What's next? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's not really a problem. Prospective buyer contacts finance company and pays of outstanding finance and pays balance to the owner at the same time

Yep. I think financing a car is a bad idea.

Now say you got your Ioniq sold. What's next? :)

Its is a problem because the amount of people willing to take the hastle could be counted on 1 hand.

It would have to be a really good deal.

Im afraid that is reality. Its the reason there is finance checks on motorcheck.ie. Its seen as a risk to a purchaser. So why bother.

Oh I agree 100% listermint. Technically it's not a problem at all. But a lot of people would be turned off by it.

I would go for it no probs. But only if I got an extremely good deal :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Old diesel wrote: »
    Is it not just simply individual dealers bringing in Ioniqs from UK due to very little to no supply new or used of Ioniqs over here.

And thus nothing to do with Hyundai Ireland

Yeah, but Hyundai Ireland sell the cars to the dealers, so really should have looked to make the better spec available this year. You have to assume they make more money on the better model.

Just spoke with the dealer. The lady on the phone didn’t have too much detail but the issue is in the heater. They need a part but it is on back order in Ireland so it will be Thursday at the earliest before the car is back. Will let ye know exactly what it is when I find out!

Hi Guys,

Im going to be putting my 172 ioniq up for sale soon. Its still in mint condition with 30kms on it. New tyres last week at its second service, SOH of battery is 100%. It has custom fitted leather seat covers aswell. I need to buy something with more range. I called the hyundai delaer and he said he would take it tomorrow and give me around 23k for it. Im not gona do that as I think I should be getting around 26k or 27 at least.
    And advice on this would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Im going to be putting my 172 ioniq up for sale soon. Its still in mint condition with 30kms on it. New tyres last week at its second service, SOH of battery is 100%. It has custom fitted leather seat covers aswell. I need to buy something with more range. I called the hyundai delaer and he said he would take it tomorrow and give me around 23k for it. Im not gona do that as I think I should be getting around 26k or 27 at least.

Thanks
    I bought a 171 with 15k km on clock UK import for 25,500 euro from Irish EV specialist importer.

You would want to sell soon, before year end, other vehicles also come up etc.

I doubt you would get 27k euro. If ur in Dublin and you have a good ad and are willing to wait a month or two you might get 25.5k . You could ask for 28 and see what happens. Target various Facebook groups and boards.ie too. Put it on all for sake sites. Come 2019 it might only be worth 22k if there are lots of used 30kw battery vehicles for sale.

What do others think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I think I should be getting around 26k or 27 at least.

Thanks

It’s a €28k car new. Why do you think you would get €27k “at least” after a year?

I know they are hard to get but I think €27k is not realistic.

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Take the €23k and run. It's a 1 year old car with 2 years' mileage on it.

Take the €23k and run. It's a 1 year old car with 2 years' mileage on it.

Thanks.

I bought a 171 with 15k km on clock UK import for 25,500 euro from Irish EV specialist importer.

I doubt you would get 27k euro. If ur in Dublin and you have a good ad and are willing to wait a month or two you might get 25.5k . You could ask for 28 and see what happens. Target various Facebook groups and boards.ie too. Put it on all for sake sites. Come 2019 it might only be worth 22k if there are lots of used 30kw battery vehicles for sale.

What do others think?

Thats interesting thanks for that.

I called the hyundai delaer and he said he would take it tomorrow and give me around 23k for it.

As a trade in? If so against what? If not, he is going to give you cash for it???

As a trade in? If so against what? If not, he is going to give you cash for it???

As a trade in, we were discussing the kona. He said he would sell it in a day! That the demand is through the roof. I might call him back and ask him if he would buy it out right. Then I could put the deposit on the kona in November.

Your dealer is offering you 23k against a Kona EV, for which there is zero discount (presumably). That means he is giving you 23k cash for your car. He only does that if he can easily sell it for at least 25k-26k. Which gives an approximate private sale value of 24k or even a bit higher as the added value of a dealer sale for a car with 4 years manufacturers warranty left is limited.

For convenience you could take him up on his offer. Or you could try and sell privately, giving you at least 1k more, maybe even 2k. But you might have to do without a car if your old car sells before you get a new car. Or worse, if you haven't yet sold your old car when your new car comes, you will have to have the cash to pay for the new one without the money from the old one. Possibly also a bit of stress involved this way :D

Third way: tell the dealer you will sign up for the Kona there and then with a 1000 non-refundable deposit if he gives you 24k. I'd say chances are he'll go for it.

What do others think?

There's nothing with a 30 kWh battery that comes close to Ioniq's range due to super efficiency. Leaf40 is the main comparison and it has a 40kWh battery.

If you have a 2017 car and wait till 2019 to sell that's a 2 year old car then and will be worth less. Usually. But with Ioniq people can't get them so who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Pictures don't really do the Ioniq shape justice.

Seen one in flesh this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Old diesel wrote: »
    Pictures don't really do the Ioniq shape justice.

Seen one in flesh this morning.

it's funny, I no longer hav a view on the attrativeness or otherwise of the shape/design.. before I bought one I was so hung up on the technology + efficiency I never really gave any thought to how it looked. Now that I have one I'm not really objective.

It's very different fo the Leaf 2.0. A friend of mine has the 2.0, it's not at all unusual for them to be parked together at different events / gaa training etc. I'll take a pick of them side by side at some point and share..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement