Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Is it possible (easy!) to change the speedometer from miles to kms if you import a UK Ioniq?

Also, how does the battery compare to the new Nissan Leaf? I had intended buying a new Leaf but changed my mind with all the talk of Rapidgate.

Thanks in advance for your replies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Fishy1 wrote: »
    Is it possible (easy!) to change the speedometer from miles to kms if you import a UK Ioniq?

Also, how does the battery compare to the new Nissan Leaf? I had intended buying a new Leaf but changed my mind with all the talk of Rapidgate.

It's not easy to change it over at all, you'll get it showing both MPH and km/h at best.
    Better to get an Irish one IMO.

I have posted enough here about the impact of rapidgate, people complain at this stage so I'll leave it to others this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I dont see the problem with having MPG and KMPH on screen tbh, You never use it. Sure you can set speed limit warning if you want....

listermint wrote: »
    I dont see the problem with having MPG and KMPH on screen tbh, You never use it. Sure you can set speed limit warning if you want....
    Yes but the cruise is denominated in miles, the units, the sat nav etc

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes but the cruise is denominated in miles, the units, the sat nav etc

Surely thats an easy swap ? It was fine in my Volvo - uk import. Its a setting in the dash menu on mine.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Surely thats an easy swap ? It was fine in my Volvo - uk import. Its a setting in the dash menu on mine.

https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/226-hyundai-ioniq-plug-hybrid-phev/28249-change-mph-kmh.html

It's not easily possibly at all, not without hacking in anyway. It's hard coded from the factory as either MPH or KMH

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=162&topicid=236162

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

You can change the sat nav using a menu, but not the main speed display. It shows mph in main display and kmh smaller below. I find it annoying, and mileage is in miles too.

https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/226-hyundai-ioniq-plug-hybrid-phev/28249-change-mph-kmh.html

It's not easily possibly at all, not without hacking in anyway. It's hard coded from the factory as either MPH or KMH

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=162&topicid=236162

That sucks then :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Have no ideas about the speedo thing.

No idea about the battery chemistry either. But as for how both batteries are utilised, etc.

Pros & Cons (as I see them)

Ioniq has 28kWh usable, L40 has 38kWh usable. Both manufacturers offer an 8 year warranty.

Ioniq has a dedicated battery thermal management system that regulates the temperature. this should keep the battery in tip top condition for as long as possible.

L40 has no dedicated management onboard, and relies on passive (useless) cooling. To help baby the battery, Nissan installed software that, depending on the battery temperature at the start of charging, will throttle the charging rate in varying degrees down to 22kW ie. less than half of maximum.
    Everything increases battery temperature...charging, discharging (driving), weather, so in not having active management, Nissan really fukking dropped the ball.

Ioniq is way more efficient than the L40, both in terms of aerodynamics and drivetrain. It's also capable of faster DC charging due to it's battery management.
    When the need for efficiency is taken out of it (ie. local driving, charging at home, etc.) the L40 will travel further on a full charge*.

It's hard to buy a new Ioniq due to supply issues.

The L40 is available at the drop of a hat.

The L40 is a physically bigger car, meaning a roomier interior (I think).

I think they're pretty much the facts...everything else is subjective (looks, etc.)

I'd personally go for the L40, as my usual driving routine would never see me affected by #rapidgate.
    The Ioniq suits people like ELM327, Irishgrover, maybe Unkel, as they do more mileage and may need more than one rapid charge a day.

So really, the choice of car comes down to your driving.

* - I'm assuming it would, seeing as aerodynamics don't come into it, and it has 35% more capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

It's not easy to change it over at all, you'll get it showing both MPH and km/h at best.
    Better to get an Irish one IMO.

I have posted enough here about the impact of rapidgate, people complain at this stage so I'll leave it to others this time.

I bought mine in the UK and assumed that it would be a firmware update change as opposed to a cluster hardware change.
    So I was a little disappointed when I found out.
    However, in reality..
    a.) KMPH is also displayed in all screen configurations (albeit lower and smaller)
    b.) I only ever drive in sports mode (where this is no speedo dial anyway)
    c.) you can change the units on the centre console to KMPH
    d.) Don't know if this impacts the car satnav (I only use google / waze on android auto)
    Other thing to be aware of is that the consumption thing on the dashboard (if you are displaying it), is measured in M/KW and the total mileage is in mileage and not km

The cost savings in buying in the UK plus the better spec more than offset the dual unit display issue. However I'm of an age where I'm equally comfortable in mph and kmph so it does not bother me at all.
    It may bother other people..
    Like everything else, it’s good to be aware of this limitation in advance.

• Advertisement

Thanks, everyone. Really appreciate your input.

Soarer wrote: »
    Have no ideas about the speedo thing.

No idea about the battery chemistry either. But as for how both batteries are utilised, etc.

Pros & Cons (as I see them)

Ioniq has 28kWh usable, L40 has 38kWh usable. Both manufacturers offer an 8 year warranty.

Ioniq has a dedicated battery thermal management system that regulates the temperature. this should keep the battery in tip top condition for as long as possible.

L40 has no dedicated management onboard, and relies on passive (useless) cooling. To help baby the battery, Nissan installed software that, depending on the battery temperature at the start of charging, will throttle the charging rate in varying degrees down to 22kW ie. less than half of maximum.
    Everything increases battery temperature...charging, discharging (driving), weather, so in not having active management, Nissan really fukking dropped the ball.

Ioniq is way more efficient than the L40, both in terms of aerodynamics and drivetrain. It's also capable of faster DC charging due to it's battery management.
    When the need for efficiency is taken out of it (ie. local driving, charging at home, etc.) the L40 will travel further on a full charge*.

It's hard to buy a new Ioniq due to supply issues.

The L40 is available at the drop of a hat.

The L40 is a physically bigger car, meaning a roomier interior (I think).

I think they're pretty much the facts...everything else is subjective (looks, etc.)

I'd personally go for the L40, as my usual driving routine would never see me affected by #rapidgate.
    The Ioniq suits people like ELM327, Irishgrover, maybe Unkel, as they do more mileage and may need more than one rapid charge a day.

So really, the choice of car comes down to your driving.

* - I'm assuming it would, seeing as aerodynamics don't come into it, and it has 35% more capacity.

Great post, just to add re rapidgate that it goes below 22kW, I've seen photos of 13kW online.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I have my ioniq 2 months now. Initially annoyed I only had miles displayed.

But it really is not a big deal. Km a little smaller underneath is just as good.
    You'll save big time getting one in the Uk, so not a deal breaker at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

Hi. In relation to the mph display. A lad I work with brought an ioniq in last year. He brought it in to Hyundai (ep mooney) i think. They plugged it in to an online system and changed the setting. As far as I remember he paid €300 as they had it over night

Hi. In relation to the mph display. A lad I work with brought an ioniq in last year. He brought it in to Hyundai (ep mooney) i think. They plugged it in to an online system and changed the setting. As far as I remember he paid €300 as they had it over night

If be really interested in finding out more about this if you were in a position to ask him....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Great post, just to add re rapidgate that it goes below 22kW, I've seen photos of 13kW online.

Cheers for that.

Do you know where that was from? The worst I've seen (fairly regularly) in the UK and Ireland is 22kW. So I'll leave that figure in the post as it seems to be the most realistic worst case.

Cheers for that.

Do you know where that was from? The worst I've seen (fairly regularly) in the UK and Ireland is 22kW. So I'll leave that figure in the post as it seems to be the most realistic worst case.
    There was a table here , let me see if I can find it.
    I read online that people were limited to 13kW but that's on the third and subsequent charge, the 22kW seems to be the one that comes in at charge #2 or#1 depending on scenario and speed.

EDIT: You posted it yourself
    James @ Lemon-Tea Leaf posted the attached chart about temperatures and charging speeds. Don't think it's 100% exact (think he had to make educated guesses at some points), but it's fairly good.

460831.jpg

I would also be very interested in any further details about this!

Another quick question, is there an app for the Ioniq? Would love the idea of being able to set the car to turn on the heat before my commute. Getting into a warm, defrosted car on a winter’s morning would be fantastic!

Another quick question, is there an app for the Ioniq? Would love the idea of being able to set the car to turn on the heat before my commute. Getting into a warm, defrosted car on a winter’s morning would be fantastic!

No app, which is another of the very few disappointments.... You can however, when charging, time your car to be a specific temperature in the morning....
    I assume the car needs to be plugged in for this to happen, but am not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,743 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There is an app, but it is only for the US market. You have to sign up to Hyundai USA for it with a US address, and you probably also need your phone to have US regional settings. Possibly also need to use a VPN to use it outside the USA. Should work, but I'm not bothered to try it out :D

Pre-warm the car to a set temperature and have it 100% charged by the time you drive off in the morning is standard functionality - you need to have the car plugged in for that though.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    There is an app, but it is only for the US market. You have to sign up to Hyundai USA for it with a US address, and you probably also need your phone to have US regional settings. Possibly also need to use a VPN to use it outside the USA. Should work, but I'm not bothered to try it out :D

I though that there was a physical module (ie hardware) that was not installed outside of the US?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I though that there was a physical module (ie hardware) that was not installed outside of the US?

I can't imagine Hyundai have included the data service that will allow it to work in Europe without providing the service

liamog wrote: »
    I can't imagine Hyundai have included the data service that will allow it to work in Europe without providing the service

Thete was a guy on you tube selling a pack which included a wireless gsm dongle, rasberry pie, bluetooth obd2 plugin and some coding. The only thing that you could do with it was view the current battery state of charge.
    I tried the american thing and it did not work. I actually have a US phone and a US active number for work and it still didnt work. Id say the module is not installed or active in our ioniqs

I spoke to my work colleague yesterday about this again. Heres what he said: He knows one of the mechanics working in Hyundai and he asked him to change the units. He took the car in and did it for him. He had to wipe the software and put on a new one. It took overnight to do it. He was using an online live portal to Korea apparently. Now that what he was told.

So the moral of the story is that tge units can be changed

I spoke to my work colleague yesterday about this again. Heres what he said: He knows one of the mechanics working in Hyundai and he asked him to change the units. He took the car in and did it for him. He had to wipe the software and put on a new one. It took overnight to do it. He was using an online live portal to Korea apparently. Now that what he was told.

So the moral of the story is that tge units can be changed
    They can, but it's not realistically available to owners.
    Not everyone knows one of the mechanics!

They can, but it's not realistically available to owners.
    Not everyone knows one of the mechanics!

True. But Im sure if one just books it in for the job there wont be an issue. Its just that he had it done proves it can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I’d be very wary of doing that, for warranty reasons too.

Also not sure if many respectable Hyundai dealerships would be willing to do it too.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I’d be very wary of doing that, for warranty reasons too.

Also not sure if many respectable Hyundai dealerships would be willing to do it too.

It wouldn't affect the warranty if it was carried out by an authorised Hyundai dealer. I'd say the problem is that many of them wouldn't have the faintest clue how to do it. The dealer I bought my car from couldn't even handle a firmware update. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't affect the warranty if it was carried out by an authorised Hyundai dealer. I'd say the problem is that many of them wouldn't have the faintest clue how to do it. The dealer I bought my car from couldn't even handle a firmware update. :rolleyes:

I agree. Maybe try a few dealers up north might be an option too

• Advertisement

So, I finally bit the bullet. Am now the proud owner of a 181 Hyundai Ioniq Premium SE :)
    I bought it from a Hyundai dealer in Dublin, but it’s a UK import.
    Early days yet, but am very happy so far. I just have to figure out all the gizmos on it now!
    Thanks to everyone for answering my queries in the past few weeks. I have a funny feeling that I’ll be back to pick your brains over the next few days / weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

So, I finally bit the bullet. Am now the proud owner of a 181 Hyundai Ioniq Premium SE :)
    I bought it from a Hyundai dealer in Dublin, but it’s a UK import.
    Early days yet, but am very happy so far. I just have to figure out all the gizmos on it now!
    Thanks to everyone for answering my queries in the past few weeks. I have a funny feeling that I’ll be back to pick your brains over the next few days / weeks.

Congrats! Not many SEs on Irish plates I’d say. What was it doing at an Irish dealers?

Congrats! Not many SEs on Irish plates I’d say. What was it doing at an Irish dealers?

They seem to be importing them to sell them on. I know I could have bought one direct from the UK, but I wouldn’t be confident enough to do it! I also had a car to trade in, so it made more sense for me to go through the dealer. I know it’s not the cheapest option, but I’m happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

They seem to be importing them to sell them on. I know I could have bought one direct from the UK, but I wouldn’t be confident enough to do it! I also had a car to trade in, so it made more sense for me to go through the dealer. I know it’s not the cheapest option, but I’m happy :)

Fair play -- did you get the SEAI grant so? Great initiative by the dealer; could surely sell some high-specced Kona at a decent mark-up too.

Well wear! Do you mind sharing how much you paid bottom line and what car you traded in?

Time to update our now even longer boards.ie Ioniq owners list!
    Fair play -- did you get the SEAI grant so?

No, that's only for new cars registered here in Ireland first.

Would rather not go into the nitty gritty if that’s ok! I spotted it on Carzone initially. Asking price was €29,950. The spec is great though . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Would rather not go into the nitty gritty if that’s ok! I spotted it on Carzone initially. Asking price was €29,950. The spec is great though . . .

Is it Black:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

Congrats
    You will really enjoy it. I got mine three months ago and after initial guilt at buying a more expensive car than I needed, I now feel better because of the €1000 euros I haven’t spent on fuel since.
    A great car in all aspects, only gripe I have is the position of the charge point- not well suited to charge point positions. Other than that, no issues.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Is it Black:P:P

White!

Get used to doing the following....Hit the button on the steering wheel and say "what's 3.8* multiplied by 28, divided by 5, multiplied by 8"....

*Or whatever miles per kWh is on the dashboard when you are trying to calculate your range based on current efficiency

was in the hyundai garage on the long mile road to look at a kona 1.2 petrol with the inlaws, Noticed an 171 ioniq in their stable, asked the sales man how much ...... 32000 euros !

That's a lot more than my 182 cost me, Are the ioniqs increasing in value due to lack of supply?

• Advertisement

Glen Immal wrote: »
    was in the hyundai garage on the long mile road to look at a kona 1.2 petrol with the inlaws, Noticed an 171 ioniq in their stable, asked the sales man how much ...... 32000 euros !

That's a lot more than my 182 cost me, Are the ioniqs increasing in value due to lack of supply?
    Was that a PHEV? They are more expensive than the fully BEV version.
    I paid 27k earlier this year for a BEV ex demo (<10k km) from a hyundai dealer, so I doubt they have increased 5k in that time.

Glen Immal wrote: »

Not sure if they are increasing, but they are holding their value very well it seems. I don't think I'd find it difficult to sell mine that I ordered new in January 2017, for roughly what I paid for it. Even in a private sale.

171 Ioniq BEV

Sales guy was very firm in his stance that that was the price even when I pointed out mine and told him how much i had paid...He said I "got lucky" which is true as mine was a cancelled order..allbeit at a lot less than 32000

Not on their website. Yet. But €32k for a second hand Ioniq EV is insane.

I got my test drive from there and would have preferred to buy from them as it's the most convenient for me. But I found them not realistic in negotiations, and I dealt with Paraic himself. But I guess that was before the EV momentum had started and I guess they can ask thousands over the odds now

Most Hyundai dealers in the USA ask at least the full asking price plus $3,000. No negotiations. Because they can :D

Look what I did... :-)
    I'm on a mobile, so if I've messed up format, I'll fix it..

462864.jpg

sorry for the delayed edit anyways I got Torque Pro display via Android Auto...Torque Pro, bluetooth ODBD2 dongle and app called OBD2 AA..
    ..not sure if there is any great practical use for it except the satisfaction of being able to do it....

Naff, in my personal and hopefully non insulting opinion.... Car bras we very popular when I lived in the States.... Personally I really disliked them

• Registered Users Posts: 22 colmkirk

Was charging my ioniq at a fast charge point at the castlebellingham station on the m1, and a Nissan Leaf mark 2 parked in beside me, he connected the chademo port and it knocked off my connection automatically, has anyone had this issue?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement